Im thinking about selling or trading my 9700 for another BlackBerry. I got a trade offer on the BlackBerry Storm 2 (9550) on craigslist. Dont get me wrong, i like not love my 9700 but for some reason i just want to try out a touchscreen phone... good thing is ill still be with BlackBerry. The guy who wants to trade is asking $60 cash on top, sound about right?

I just want to know about clearing or wiping your phone out before you sell or trade it. Is there a certain way to do this? Like transfer my contacts, pics, songs, etc? Any info/feedback would help, thanks
    06-06-10 05:38 PM
    There is a reason he is adding cash to the deal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-10 06:09 PM
    You can back-up your contacts using the Desktop manager, as well as your applications and any settings. If the pictures and songs are stored on the SD card, you can just hold onto that and insert it into the Storm 2 if you go ahead with the exchange.

As for the $60 on top of the device swap, not sure about that. But I could very well just be holding a grudge against the Storm series. I feel that the Bold has more value than Storm 2, but that's just my opinion. Others could probably chime in with a better, non-bias opinion.

Also, check to see if the PIN or the IMEI number has been blacklisted before you finalize the exchange. You can never know for sure, especially with places like Craiglist (and eBay, for that matter).

06-06-10 06:18 PM
    You will be sorry. I did same thing and am back to 9700. S2 is cool but lags and typing sucks bad.

I tried to love it but me and the wife gave up and went bold again.

06-06-10 06:24 PM
    Lush24: i guess he wants $ on top cuz the suggested retail for the BB Storm 2 cost more than the BB Bold 9700 same goes for minus all the rebates... I told him I didn't have $ on me @ the time & so he can move onto another buyer. But he said if no one buys by tonight maybe a straight trade is possible (hopefully).

Carns: yeah most of my stuff is stored on my SD card so I can just keep that, but do I need to transfer my contacts to my sim card so when I put em into another phone my contacts will be there? I'm not sure if my contatcs are sre automatically stored onto my sim card or memory device. Also what do you mean check to see if the pin or imei is blacklisted? What's imei (sorry I'm a noob)? How would you go about doing that?

06-06-10 06:35 PM
    I believe you can copy contacts to your SIM card, but I don't have much experience doing so. As GMail seems to sync them every time I restore that account. And prior to this phone, I had a CDMA device, so it wasn't an option. Your best bet would be to perform a back-up using the desktop manager software, if you have access to a PC.

There's an IMEI number attached to each phone, carriers use it to link a phone to your account. It can be found under the battery, on the sticker with the little bar codes on it. Depending on the carrier, you might be able to check it online at their respective site, or you can call customer service and ask them to check for you. The other party should have no issues providing it if it's clean. When (s)he does, all you have to do is call the service provider (if there's no option on their website) of the Storm 2 (Verizon for the states, correct?) And ask them to check it to see if it's been reported as lost or stolen, or even if there has been a warranty replacement claim filed.

06-06-10 07:19 PM
    Carns: yeah most of my stuff is stored on my SD card so I can just keep that, but do I need to transfer my contacts to my sim card so when I put em into another phone my contacts will be there? I'm not sure if my contatcs are sre automatically stored onto my sim card or memory device. Also what do you mean check to see if the pin or imei is blacklisted? What's imei (sorry I'm a noob)? How would you go about doing that?
    1) You don't really need to copy your contacts to your SIM card. Just use
    Desktop Manager to do a backup of the 9700. When you get the Storm 2
    use DM to RESTORE.

2) The IMEI (GSM) and the ESN (CDMA) identifies the phone to the RIM network.

You should always have the owner prove to you the device is legit.
    Best way, if local, meet at a carrier store and have them check.
    06-06-10 07:30 PM
    Im thinking about selling or trading my 9700 for another BlackBerry. I got a trade offer on the BlackBerry Storm 2 (9550) on craigslist. Dont get me wrong, i like not love my 9700 but for some reason i just want to try out a touchscreen phone... good thing is ill still be with BlackBerry. The guy who wants to trade is asking $60 cash on top, sound about right?

I just want to know about clearing or wiping your phone out before you sell or trade it. Is there a certain way to do this? Like transfer my contacts, pics, songs, etc? Any info/feedback would help, thanks
    It's not even worth the trouble at all. Just keep and be happy with what you have.
    06-06-10 07:31 PM
    Go into a corporate store and play with all the live phones.

06-06-10 07:55 PM
    Do you have 3G coverage with your 9700 on T-Mobile? If you get a Storm2 (or any dual CDMA/GSM phone, for that matter), you will only get EDGE on T-Mobile.
    06-06-10 08:46 PM
    Do you have 3G coverage with your 9700 on T-Mobile? If you get a Storm2 (or any dual CDMA/GSM phone, for that matter), you will only get EDGE on T-Mobile.

yeah i have 3G on my 9700, but why is EDGE the only option if i were to get the S2? even if the S2 is unlocked as in any provider can use it...?
    06-06-10 10:24 PM
    yeah i have 3G on my 9700, but why is EDGE the only option if i were to get the S2? even if the S2 is unlocked as in any provider can use it...?
    The Storm2 does not have the hardware to support 3G bands used by GSM carriers in the US. A Storm2 will only get 3G on GSM overseas.
    06-06-10 10:28 PM
    Im so confused haha & such a noob. Whats GSM & CDMA? I thought if any phone is unlocked any provider can use it?
    06-06-10 10:31 PM
    Im so confused haha & such a noob. Whats GSM & CDMA? I thought if any phone is unlocked any provider can use it?
    CDMA carriers are VZW and Sprint (plus regional carriers like US Cellular). They do not use SIM cards. The SIM cards on their Storm1, Storm2, 9630, and 9650 are for use internationally. A CDMA only phone, like the 8330, 8530 cannot be unlocked, since there is no SIM card. CDMA carriers will not allow devices branded to another carrier to be used on their networks, so no VZW phones on Sprint (and vice versa).

GSM carriers are AT&T and T-Mobile, but they use different frequencies for their 3G. So an AT&T phone that is 3G capable will only get EDGE on T-Mobile (and vice-versa).

What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?
    What is the Difference Between GSM and CDMA?

If you use one of the dual CDMA/GSM phones I mentioned, you cannot use voice and data simultaneously (unless using Wi-Fi on Storm2 or 9650), since EDGE does not support simultaneous voice/data.
    Last edited by lak611; 06-06-10 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo
    06-06-10 10:39 PM
    CDMA and GSM are two different cellular technologies. They are NOT compatible with each other.

Verizon & Sprint use CDMA. CDMA does not use SIM cards.
    AT&T & T-Mobile use GSM. GSM uses SIM cards.

MOST Verizon phones do not have SIM card slots. The ones that do are known as "World" phones. The Storms and BB tour/9650 are basically the only Verizon phones with SIM card slots built in.

For example, a Droid Incredible is not compatible at all with AT&T or T-Mobile...It will never work because there isn't even a place to put in your SIM card.

Personally, I would stay away from the Storm. If you REALLY want a touch screen phone, I say sell the Bold and get a Nexus One. You might find some people will to trade with you on Craigslist.
    06-06-10 11:00 PM
    I just moved away from a Storm 9550 to a Bold 9700. IMO, there's no way a Storm can compare with a Bold! I found too many software glitches in the Storm, and even after updating the OS regularly, I parted ways with it. I'm now a happy camper with my unlocked 9700!!
    Just my 2c.
    06-06-10 11:08 PM
    CDMA and GSM are two different cellular technologies. They are NOT compatible with each other.

Verizon & Sprint use CDMA. CDMA does not use SIM cards.
    AT&T & T-Mobile use GSM. GSM uses SIM cards.

MOST Verizon phones do not have SIM card slots. The ones that do are known as "World" phones. The Storms and BB tour/9650 are basically the only Verizon phones with SIM card slots built in.

For example, a Droid Incredible is not compatible at all with AT&T or T-Mobile...It will never work because there isn't even a place to put in your SIM card.

Personally, I would stay away from the Storm. If you REALLY want a touch screen phone, I say sell the Bold and get a Nexus One. You might find some people will to trade with you on Craigslist.

Oh ok well that makes sense between GSM & CDMA... yeah personally my 1st choice was to sell/trade my phone for the nexus one which i really want. I might just keep looking on craiglist. Hopefully i find one but i know for sure they're going to want cash on top, im guessing no more than $100? A straight trade would be nice though but i doubt it haha

As far as trading for the S2, seems like the guy sold it already cuz he hasnt gotten back to me as of tonight. Its cool though im not trippin, guess ill stay w/ my 9700 for now. Thanks for all the feedback, info, help everyone. Peace!
    06-07-10 01:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD