I may have to go back to my iPhone due to GMail multiplying my contacts. I deleted all of my contacts on my Bold and re-synced to GMail. It loaded up the first set of about 1000 contacts. In the morning, it had multiplied to 7000 contacts. I tried again deleting and turning off sync for a while, same thing. When I did a find duplicates, it would merge the 7000 contacts back down to the proper 1000 contacts but now I have 15 duplicate addresses and phone numbers in a single contact. If I cannot get this fixed, I will have to put my new Bold on a shelf and go back to the iPhone which works perfectly with Mobile Me. Please any help would be welcomed. I really love my new Bold.
    01-28-10 01:08 AM
    m8, try the following:
    go to contacts
    options
    general options
    allow duplicate names: set to NO

is this good?
    01-28-10 01:13 AM
    and you can try also this:
    Beaver Creek Consulting
    01-28-10 01:15 AM
    Turn off syncing of your contacts.... Go to contacts, options, and options screen type RSET and then hit ok, then type WIPE. (YOU WONT SEE IT TYPE ANYTHING). It will delete all of your contacts, then turn syncing back on and you should have one complete set of your contacts. In some instances you may have to delete your email account from BIS and readd it again and then check the sync contacts option for any contacts to show up again.

Also if duplicates exist in your gmail contact list on gmail.com. there is a find duplicates button that will delete the duplicates out of gmail for you, but this will fix it if they are just on the phone. Also make sure you if you have google sync app installed, contact sync is turned off as BIS will sync contacts from Gmail on its own. This will create duplicates if you have both.

- Dan
    01-28-10 01:34 AM
    There are some apps can clean up that but I don't recall the name.
    01-28-10 06:10 AM
    go to you manage email icon > go to your gmail account > menu button > edit > scroll down to "synchronization options" > and make sure "contacts" is unchecked....

problem solved.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 07:25 AM
    I love instead of the bashing you get 5 instant tips on how to fix it. Now that's one thing you may miss if you have to switch. Love crackberry nation.

01-28-10 08:03 AM
    i've had the odd random contact be a duplicate, but never my whole list!! whoa!!!

so far, I've had goog luck with gmail contact sync... i'm also using the google sync app though... don't know if that is helping or not...

BIS 3.0 is supposed to make gmail integration much better...

OP - don't give up just yet!
    01-28-10 08:44 AM
    Why not try out a google phone?
    01-28-10 08:49 AM
    Why not try out a google phone?
    Been playing with my friend's nexus one. That thing is pretty sweet.

01-28-10 09:00 AM
    The grass is always greener with the latest piece of technology
    01-28-10 10:29 AM
    It always amazes me how people are so quick to give up instead of learning how to use/setup their device. It will always take a little more effort when you are given all the options. It's like MSPaint (iPhone) to Photoshop (Blackberry). In the end, we all know which is superior.
    01-28-10 12:31 PM
    Turn off syncing of your contacts.... Go to contacts, options, and options screen type RSET and then hit ok, then type WIPE. (YOU WONT SEE IT TYPE ANYTHING). It will delete all of your contacts, then turn syncing back on and you should have one complete set of your contacts. In some instances you may have to delete your email account from BIS and readd it again and then check the sync contacts option for any contacts to show up again.

Also if duplicates exist in your gmail contact list on gmail.com. there is a find duplicates button that will delete the duplicates out of gmail for you, but this will fix it if they are just on the phone. Also make sure you if you have google sync app installed, contact sync is turned off as BIS will sync contacts from Gmail on its own. This will create duplicates if you have both.

- Dan

Great tip!!! Thanks. Learn something new every day.
    01-28-10 01:02 PM
    go to you manage email icon > go to your gmail account > menu button > edit > scroll down to "synchronization options" > and make sure "contacts" is unchecked....

problem solved.

thanks, had this checked and didn't realize it until day before yesterday when I woke up with more than double my contacts
    01-28-10 01:12 PM
    I just want to know how an iphone is the answer to a sync issue...why not a winmo phone, etc.?
    01-28-10 01:18 PM
    I just want to know how an iphone is the answer to a sync issue...why not a winmo phone, etc.?
    cause that's the thing to say.
    01-28-10 01:30 PM
    nice work-round for sync !. thanks
    01-28-10 01:36 PM
    thanks, had this checked and didn't realize it until day before yesterday when I woke up with more than double my contacts
    no problem.. i had that checked on accident and had google sync on my phone so i woke up with 3 of everything.... ah..... i got it figured out though.

01-28-10 01:38 PM
    or hello... an Android (google) phone...
    01-28-10 02:33 PM
    where'd OP go?
    Did he ditch the phone??
    02-02-10 07:24 AM
    Maybe he went to the iphone and now can't make calls?

02-02-10 07:26 AM
    It always amazes me how people are so quick to give up instead of learning how to use/setup their device. It will always take a little more effort when you are given all the options. It's like MSPaint (iPhone) to Photoshop (Blackberry). In the end, we all know which is superior.
    Hear, hear!!
    02-02-10 09:30 AM
    m8, try the following:
    go to contacts
    options
    general options
    allow duplicate names: set to NO

is this good?
    +1.this should be good.
    02-02-10 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD