This isnt my first BB but i'm no expert either. I got my Bold on Monday and had issues getting the media card i took out of my curve to show up in my computer over USB from the Bold. From my curve i'd plug in over usb and the card would show up as a drive on my computer. On the Bold it just wouldnt.

So here is what i did to finally fix it. It took several steps since i had no driver on my work computer for it (although my Curve worked flawless) so i had to install the driver first. I went to device mngr on my computer and saw when the blackberry was plugged it it had no driver.

Install Driver:
    1. went to Tronyx's site:
    hookedontronyx.com/6.htm
    2. Hosted Files -> Drivers then downloaded the English USB/Modem Drivers
    3. ran the install file and rebooted.
    4. got into Device Mngr again with my Bold plugged in over USB and saw it finally had a driver assigned (no yellow question mark or red exclamation mark)

so that is was done, i was still not able to see my media card over the USB but here is my second step....

1. went to Pinstack and signed up and downloaded the BB Storage Activation File from site: forums.pinstack.com/showthread.php?t=96938
    2. Extract all files to your desktop
    3. Plug in your BB (DO NOT start desktop manager)
    4. Double click on the "BB storage Activation new.bat" file
    5. A Window DOS box will pop up and ask for your BB password. Enter your password if you have one enabled. If not it wont ask you. A bunch of stuff will happen and then it will ask you to press any key. A few more things will happen and then the same process will occur again. I'm sure one time is good enough but i did it a few times.
    6. I noticed my BB had turned off during the process so it seems that was normal as my phone is not bricked.
    7. i unplugged my BB from the USB, pulled the battery and rebooted it.
    8. reboot your PC as well.

After both rebooted i plugged in my BB over USB and this time the Add Hardware found both internal and media card storage and mapped them both as removable drives like it should be. Worked like a charm. I hope if anyone tries this it helps. As stated in other posts i'm just trying to help. There's always a risk of bricking your phone so do at your own risk. But it seemed to work out for me. Good Luck!

Carlos

PS. I hope Tonyx and Smarkow dont mind me using their info. I gathered them from different threads over the board.
    Last edited by los318; 04-08-09 at 01:13 PM.
    04-08-09 01:10 PM
    Excellent job!
    04-08-09 01:16 PM
    Is that only because you didn't format it on the Bold? I bought a new card, formatted it, turned Mass Storage on and it showed up as a drive.
    04-08-09 01:33 PM
    Is that only because you didn't format it on the Bold? I bought a new card, formatted it, turned Mass Storage on and it showed up as a drive.
    i couldnt tell you. I used the card on my Curve and just moved it over. Its not a brand new card so it shouldnt need to be reformatted. But i still needed to install the driver so that i couldnt get past anyway.
    04-08-09 03:16 PM
    Thank you Carlos for writing this and for BT for bringing it to my attention. I'm glad the info that I provided for you was able to help you solve your problem. I'm adding this post as an article on my site right now. Good job and thanks again!

Chris
    04-08-09 11:22 PM
    OMG Thank you so much Carlos!! I've been trying to figure out what was going on with my Berry and I followed your instructions and fixed it!
    04-08-09 11:27 PM
    los, your avatar is awesome! You don't have a higher res. version that could be made into a nice Bold wallpaper by any chance, do you?
    04-09-09 02:23 AM
    los, your avatar is awesome! You don't have a higher res. version that could be made into a nice Bold wallpaper by any chance, do you?
    Agreed! I want that as a wallpaper!

Chris
    04-09-09 02:27 AM
    Apparently this seems to happen when Bolds go in for repair or something.
    04-09-09 03:54 AM
    I'd just like to add that I took the 8gb sd card out of my Curve without changing anything, so still including photos, videos and 3gb of mp3s and it just worked instantly in my new Bold as a mass storage device (although one difference I have noticed is that when I plug the Bold into the pc it opens the memory card AND the device memory, which never happened on the Curve). Furthermore, all of the individual ringtones, contact pics and background pictures were correctly alloted to the right contact etc as part of the device switch.
    04-09-09 04:39 AM
    Took me for ever to find this but it worked like a charm on my storm 9530 with .122. Finally!!
    Thanks
    04-09-09 07:39 AM
    Agreed! I want that as a wallpaper!

Chris
    Sorry guys no Hi Rez for that on pic. I ran across it somewhere online and kept it stashed away but its small. I wish i did though i'd be using it right now!
    04-09-09 09:38 AM
    OMG Thank you so much Carlos!! I've been trying to figure out what was going on with my Berry and I followed your instructions and fixed it!
    I'm glad i could help
    04-09-09 09:44 AM
    Wow...Thank you...
    My phone is in pefect condition now. Since I unlocked it, I hardly lose any calls. AT&T should really come up with a fix for that. If I was not able to do this, I would've switched back to VZW or got rid of the BB Bold. You need to be able to turn 3g off. Thank you.
    04-09-09 12:29 PM
    A-HA! I will work out a Bold wallpaper when I get home later, and post it here for anyone that wants it, but if anyone with a graphics editing app is bored in the meantime:

http://erichter.files.wordpress.com/...tdeathstar.jpg
    http://tinycomb.com/wp-content/uploa...star-att-1.jpg
    http://ency98.com/blog/wp-content/up...tar_firing.jpg
    http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/reso...star-plans.jpg

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-09-09 06:52 PM
    those are nice. Good find!
    04-10-09 06:53 AM
    Thanks... although it was pretty simple. Google image search: AT&T Deathstar

Sorry, but I didn't have time to do a wallpaper last night... I found some website that had OS 5 on it and I was playing with that instead! I will do wallpaper (and screenshots) this weekend fo sho.

04-10-09 09:31 AM
    04-10-09 09:33 AM
    i LOVE you guys... what a help! screw desktop manager. big ups to Carlos
    04-12-09 09:02 AM
    thanks! I'm just glad i could help out a few people.

Carlos
    04-13-09 10:23 AM
    Thanks worked perfectly.
    04-16-09 12:41 PM
    Another Thanks to los318
    This fix worked great for me!
    04-16-09 11:49 PM
    Yus. This worked like a charm! Thanks so much - now I don't have to use Media Manager ever again, its got to be the worst program around, it pathetic.
    Last edited by sedjo758; 04-26-09 at 10:34 AM.
    04-26-09 10:31 AM
    I read on a couple of other forums that there was an issue when RIM was refurbing the Bolds. I had the same problem, ran the utility and I'm all good now. I think I had suggested that fix be made a sticky because there are a lot of refurbed Bolds out there and customer service doesn't know anything about this "fix".

04-26-09 09:09 PM
    I'm on Storm 9500, 4.7.0.122.

Having the problem with mass storage mode as well and apparently another member(chiefvelo) with Storm 9530 on the same version of Device Software had successfully fixed it.

Will try as soon as I've downloaded all the files needed to do the fix!

Thanks Carlos!
    04-28-09 03:41 PM
58 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD