Does the map info that bb gets its data from still get updated so it provides recent streets (eg. Is it from tom tom or garmin so its always updated reasonably soon). Just chrious if the built in map app can still be reliable.
    02-17-17 01:47 PM
    I didn't rely on it five years ago... can't imagine it's gotten better. Google worked much better, but I don't know if you can still load it or not.
    02-17-17 02:55 PM
    I use it ALL the time. Version 6.2.0.22, fwiw. Tom tom based. Love its map view for planning next turn as supplement to street view BB10 stuff. Frequently use both simultaneously. Also good to compare, sometimes, since neither is flawless.

I don't willingly use ANYthing "G" so can't opine on Gmaps.
    02-17-17 05:51 PM
    From a quick comparison of local ( UK) roads on BlackBerry maps and Google map using my 9900, it seems that G maps displays newly opened streets that BlackBerry maps is not. I'm a bit surprised at that result as looking through the menu >'About' information BlackBerry maps seems to make use of well-recognised map repositories, TomTom, Ordnance Survey etc. Perhaps BBmaps is served from BIS and BlackBerry are no longer (or infrequently) updating their cached map data; just fishing for an explanation.
    I continue keep both map apps on my 9900.
    Last edited by mushroom_daddy; 02-18-17 at 03:42 AM.
    02-18-17 03:30 AM
    BB10 maps on the Classic I'm carrying right now also claims TomTom (2006 to present) but displays more modern street data than 99 TomTom(2006-present). Obviously, 99 data hasn't been updated as recently as BB10's. Learned decades ago to take gps with a grain of salt and make decisions myself... Which is why I like the overall perspective of 99's aerial map view.

Google's advertising generated revenue provides them with the deepest pockets for updating. And the strongest financial motivation to keep "viewer ratings" profitable. Good reasons for using them, as far as that goes. The way they treated SUN says everything I need to know about their corporate integrity, tho. Fwiw. 99% of the planet couldn't care less so... Google's certainly a valid choice for them.
    mushroom_daddy likes this.
    02-18-17 08:46 AM