Hey guys,

my friend broke her bold, so upgraded to a HTC touch. She gave me the bold and I installed a new screen and its good as new.

Its unlocked and but I am having trouble accessing the internet. It seems that you need to be on a special blackberry plan, and searching the forum didnt reveal how to set up manual internet. I read somewhere that through opera you can set up the APN, proxy, etc.

I have tried to put in the APN my provider (Optus, Australia) gave me, in the TCP options in advanced settings, but there were not enough fields and it didn't work.

My question is simply, how do I set up a WAP connection on this blackberry as I can not take out a data plan with my provider Soul (they use Optus' network, but dont have blackberrys themselves).

Thanks in advance.

Pete

Ps. Here is the settings the company gave me.

gprs

1) homepage
    hxxp://networker.optus.net.au/wap/index.wml

2) APN
    [email protected]

3) Gateway/Proxy IP addy

4) Port for Wap1

5) Port for Wap2

MMS

1) Homepage
    hxxp://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/

2) Primary Proxy

3) Port for Wap1

4) Port for Wap2

5) APN
    MMS
    06-25-09 03:44 AM
    tell her to call her provider and update the HTC, blackberry data is different i do believe
    06-25-09 03:46 AM
    tell her to call her provider and update the HTC, blackberry data is different i do believe
    LOL did you read the post before you replied?
    06-25-09 03:54 AM
    lol nope finished the last half after. but i do know its diff. i did a test with my buddies pantech duo and my sim card in his phone wouldn't let him access the internet. idk i believe its the service provider
    06-25-09 04:08 AM
    AFAIK you will need the BIS service books sent out to the device, which usually means that you'll need to call Optus and get on their BIS service. It may cost you more but your net charges should vanish ...
    06-25-09 04:09 AM
    Hi

The apn details you require (found on a google search) are

1. APN = internet
    2. Username
    3. Password.

Leave username and password blank.

You do not need all the gateway/proxy details etc to be entered onto the device.

MMS usually needs to be enabled by way of service books being sent to the device when a data plan is active so you may not be able to get this feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 04:14 AM
    AFAIK you will need the BIS service books sent out to the device, which usually means that you'll need to call Optus and get on their BIS service. It may cost you more but your net charges should vanish ...
    thanks man, I will give Optus a call today, rather than deal with the illiterates at TPG/soul

Hi

The apn details you require (found on a google search) are

1. APN = internet
    2. Username
    3. Password.

Leave username and password blank.

You do not need all the gateway/proxy details etc to be entered onto the device.

MMS usually needs to be enabled by way of service books being sent to the device when a data plan is active so you may not be able to get this feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Thanks for this. These settings work with Opera, Apps (facebook and gmail), but not with the built in browser (but Opera is better). I now have the net, thanks a lot

Just a quick question but, will it by default use WLAN, or does it use GPRS, because the gprs costs are high in Australia so dont want to be using GPRS when i can use the local network.

Thanks again
    06-25-09 05:42 PM
    ok so I just called Optus, and they said they can send the setting, but cant bill me for it as they (obviously) cant see Soul's/TPGs accounts.

soul cant send anything through as they dont support it, so I guess does that mean I cant have mms or email forwarding?

Thanks
    06-25-09 06:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD