I feel your pain, pythons. But on this one I think you're gonna have to either pee or get off the pot. RIM aren't going to change the hardware. Software may help you marginally later. The popular media will tear RIM a new one, that's almost guaranteed at this point. Sit back and make your judgement on them next week.
    08-13-11 10:01 PM
    I feel your pain, pythons. But on this one I think you're gonna have to either pee or get off the pot. RIM aren't going to change the hardware. Software may help you marginally later. The popular media will tear RIM a new one, that's almost guaranteed at this point. Sit back and make your judgement on them next week.
    I'm just asking for a "functional" camera out of RIM's flagship....
    ...Something that's at least as good as my three year old Blackberry ( which I've posted scores of examples of ).
    ...I'm not asking for an iphone4 or Droid quality pic.
    ...Just what RIM gave people three years ago.

Do you think a software fix would bring the 99xx up from it's current position of not functional to perhaps horrible? Even that would at least be hope.
    08-13-11 10:34 PM
    It could do, but then that would entail RIM admitting what a hash they've made of it. That's more unlikely.
    08-13-11 10:40 PM
    Are the green and red answer/end keys on the 9000 compatible?
    I would say NO
    08-13-11 10:45 PM
    Have you even used one before you lashed out that the camera is not functional? I don't think you have even touch one yet..

Many people I know who have one including me have no issues with the camera. It takes photo fine.

People who think the camera is horrible, non-functional, are people like you who don't even own one and started talking trash based on comments of people who also don't own one..

Its specs is already fixed. If you don't like what it is, tons of options out there for you.
    08-13-11 10:47 PM
    I sure think the camera issue is over blown by some and I suspect they have not even used it but just join in the popular media carnival to bash its obvious fixed lens shortcoming while totaling ignoring its many pluses... It is still a fine camera and it takes decent photo for quick sharing and documentation it takes very good quality video. Iphone 4 takes better photo but that doesn't mean bold is horrible. It is just not as good and no AF is an issue to some but I have been able to take photo of documents using the bold and text is very readable. You always have big ego people in this world who feel RIM owe them big because it didn't put in something they desired - just go and get another phone iphone or android for goodness ******* sake.

The battery life is pretty good. It is even better than my torch 1.

Overall I think bold 9900 is a very solid piece of device and I am enjoying it with my PB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

exactly how i feel. if the camera is that bad and whatever else they can find to complain about. its an easy fix... go buy the phone you think is better and that works for you.
    08-13-11 10:49 PM
    Have you even used one before you lashed out that the camera is not functional? I don't think you have even touch one yet..

Many people I know who have one including me have no issues with the camera. It takes photo fine.

People who think the camera is horrible, non-functional, are people like you who don't even own one and started talking trash based on comments of people who also don't own one..

Its specs is already fixed. If you don't like what it is, tons of options out there for you.
    It works fine? Great. Post a close up picture of text without any editing here as an example.
    08-13-11 10:50 PM
    It could do, but then that would entail RIM admitting what a hash they've made of it. That's more unlikely.
    RIM has as much chance as getting away with this as a 140lb child molester does with breaking into Mike Tyson's house and molesting his kids in front of Tyson.

RIM is going to get hammered ( even if it's not totally it's fault ) for having such an absurd price for a flagship phone that doesn't have AF.
    08-13-11 10:53 PM
    i think its funny that people are getting bashed just for saying they like the phone and the camera. when is it wrong to have your own opinion.
    08-13-11 11:08 PM
    i think its funny that people are getting bashed just for saying they like the phone and the camera. when is it wrong to have your own opinion.
    That's not all they are saying - what they are claiming is that the camera is functional for work....
    ...This is a shibboleth flat out. The camera is NOT functional for work.

Have you looked at the numerous examples the private owners of this device have posted in the various threads? Even they say the camera is not functional for work related pictures.

In this day and age I assure you that consumers demand more out of a smartphone being sold at a price past that of the same devices that are taking Great White Shark bites out of RIM's customer base.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-13-11 at 11:16 PM.
    08-13-11 11:13 PM
    If your camera needs don't go past posting pictures that are on the low side of average on social networks that's great. If that's all the better I needed my pictures to be I would get a 9930 in a second.

I need to be able to take pictures to submit with damage reports that I do and I'm telling you that an insurance company would REJECT a picture taken with a 9900 / 9930 FLAT OUT.

If you needed to create a pdf out of a document you got out in the field you COULD NOT DO IT with that camera, period!

I'm telling you I replaced my work DSLR and high end point and shoot with a two year old blackberry and that if I bought a 9930 I would have to blow the dust off those cameras so I could do my job!

You may not think that's a big deal but anyone who uses their phone in the world of work will absolutely think it's a big deal.
    wow!! some expectations do need to be set i think, a mobile camera, no matter how good it is will not compared to a decent DSLR, im sorry if your trying to say that it does, because thats just not close to the truth.

i dont recall anyone throwing their teddys outta their pram over the PlayBook camera? thats the same EDoF 5Mp unit, so what gives?

personally, if i want good pics, i`ll crack out my proper, professional equipment camera. if i want to take a pic `in the moment` i`ll use my phone, and thats not something of the 9900, thats any phone, even the 12Mp phone i had
    08-13-11 11:17 PM
    That's not all they are saying - what they are claiming is that the camera is functional for work....

...This is a shibboleth flat out. The camera is NOT functional for work.

Have you looked at the numerous examples the private owners of this device have posted in the various threads? Even they say the camera is not functional for work related pictures.

Just ignore this guy and a few others..they are so bogged down by the lack of a AF camera that the bold 9900 is no longer fit for work..apparently their definition of "functional" "work" is of much higher standard that they need to constantly bash people that you are wrong they are right - pathetic narrow-minded people.
    sf49ers likes this.
    08-13-11 11:18 PM
    Just ignore this guy and a few others..they are so bogged down by the lack of a AF camera that the bold 9900 is no longer fit for work..apparently their definition of "functional" "work" is of much higher standard that they need to constantly bash people that you are wrong they are right - pathetic narrow-minded people.
    Still waiting for your proof to back up your statement!
    08-13-11 11:21 PM
    Still waiting for your proof to back up your statement!

Go and see yourself..you are already fixed on your view..I have no time for people like you
    08-13-11 11:23 PM
    I have to say I agree with pythons. I also use my BB (and other phones in the company) for work purposes. The samples posted so far are not going to work for us AT ALL. We even have an old 8330 in the ranks that takes very good pics at all focal lengths and dare I say would out shoot the 9900/9930 inside of 3 feet. That's a big issue for business folks. Also the contrast and color is awful even by camera phone standards.

I am very open minded and willing to give it a shot, but somebody dropped the ball on this one. With the samples online...it won't work for me or my company (and we were going to buy several this month).

Pythons is taking a lot of heat, but he has valid concerns.
    08-13-11 11:31 PM
    wow!! some expectations do need to be set i think, a mobile camera, no matter how good it is will not compared to a decent DSLR, im sorry if your trying to say that it does, because thats just not close to the truth.
    I retired both a Canon 60D SLR & a high end point and shoot within a month of adopting a 1st Generation BB Storm...
    ...Because that Berry took good enough shots I didn't need to pack the D-SLR around.
    ...I've posted around 20 examples of what that old blackberry did.
    ...Everyone of them excellent functional pictures that passed muster for insurance companies.

You are coming at this from a premise that the 9900 camera just isn't as good - as if it can still do the job just not as well as a D-SLR. I'm telling you the camera in the 9900 isn't FUNCTIONAL - it's simply CAN'T do the job it's great, great, great Grandfather blackberry did.

No one who uses their phone at / for work expects it to perform to the level of a D-SLR and that is NOT what we with the beef are saying at all. What we are saying is that work related pictures are not just bad they are not even functional.

What I don't understand is the mental rubrics required to ignore the fact that a three year old blackberry had a good enough camera in it people like me could shelve their DSLR for work related picture taking - FROM THAT POINT three years into the future IF I buy the 9900 I would be required to drag out the Canon 60D so I could continue doing my job because the new, improved smartphone I just bought of the same Brand and out of the same line CAN'T DO THE JOB!

Dude, this is way past the camera taking poor shots on close up subjects - the camera isn't even functional for those types of pictures.

i dont recall anyone throwing their teddys outta their pram over the PlayBook camera? thats the same EDoF 5Mp unit, so what gives?

personally, if i want good pics, i`ll crack out my proper, professional equipment camera. if i want to take a pic `in the moment` i`ll use my phone, and thats not something of the 9900, thats any phone, even the 12Mp phone i had
    I have not witnessed anyone in the business community in Seattle using one and what's the point of your point? The point I'm making is if you are ME or any one of the countless people who use or are issued a smartphone at work you WILL HAVE TO GET OUT YOUR PROFESSIONAL D-SLR to continue to do your job because the new more expensive smartphone you just got can't do what your old one did.

When that happens people just don't whistle and skip off to get their D-SLR to take a "proper" protograph....
    ...At least NOT on planet earth they don't.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-13-11 at 11:43 PM.
    08-13-11 11:35 PM
    Ok. I get it. You ran out of arguments so now you are starting personal attacks.
    oldtimeBBaddict likes this.
    08-13-11 11:40 PM
    Go and see yourself..you are already fixed on your view..I have no time for people like you
    When you finally realize the issue isn't that RIM couldn't compete with Apple or Droid...
    ...The issue IS that RIM evidently couldn't compete with ITSELF from cameras it made three years ago.
    ...You will realize what we are saying and why those of us who have used RIM for years and frankly don't even want to learn another U.I. are so Pisssssed off.
    08-13-11 11:41 PM
    IF I buy the 9900
    so you dont actually have a 9900 then? ok, thats cool, at least your talking from experience

also, to be very clear, EDoF makes video far better which is probably half the reason too.
    Last edited by BBThemes; 08-13-11 at 11:51 PM.
    08-13-11 11:42 PM
    so you dont actually have a 9900 then? ok, thats cool, at least your talking from experience
    What I've done is ask people here who have bought the phone we are talking about - these are blackberry users already who had either a torch or bold and the pictures they have posted of close up's are NOT FUNCTIONAL.

There are a whole slew of them in several threads and perhaps someone will help you find them.

Here is an example for you taken from a 9900......
    ...Feel free to duplicate the distance and subject and post your example.
    ...Don't worry we have nearly 30 other examples of 9900 EDOF shots you are free to attempt to best if you don't like this one.
    08-13-11 11:51 PM
    ok seriously... every carrier gives you a period of time to try out a phone. im on tmobile and we have 13 days to try out a phone. if the camera is bad and whatever else you can find to dislike the phone take it back and get what you think is better.
    08-13-11 11:57 PM
    Forgot to share some "old blackberry bold" pictures so you can see what you have lost...
    ...Now that I've shown you what the old berry's can do with text I'll run fetch you some close up insurance shots I've taken on cars.
    ...All of which passed requirements of the insurance companies.
    What I've done is ask people here who have bought the phone we are talking about - these are blackberry users already who had either a torch or bold and the pictures they have posted of close up's are NOT FUNCTIONAL.

There are a whole slew of them in several threads and perhaps someone will help you find them.

Here is an example for you taken from a 9900......
    ...Feel free to duplicate the distance and subject and post your example.
    ...Don't worry we have nearly 30 other examples of 9900 EDOF shots you are free to attempt to best if you don't like this one.
    ok, so the simple answer is to read up on EDoF and you`ll see just about every person say `ya take from futher away and crop the pic` for text documents.

at the end of the day, its there, no ammount of whining will sort this, so if its that much of a dealbreaker.....
    Thought so. Hot air and no substance.
    08-14-11 12:02 AM
    ok, so the simple answer is to read up on EDoF and you`ll see just about every person say `ya take from futher away and crop the pic` for text documents.
    If you were familiar with what's been going on with this ongoing discussion you would know that "work around" only augmented an already non-functional photograph. Actually the best one that actually appears to help the camera is for text and the work around is that you hold a large magnifying glass over the subject and then take the shot!

Does that sound like something Droid or Apple would suggest their customers do?

at the end of the day, its there, no ammount of whining will sort this, so if its that much of a dealbreaker.....
    Oh, I assure you this isn't whining, not by a long shot - what you will watch take place is an online education of the general public on every review board that allows a post and you can take it to the bank it just won't be me doing it.
    08-14-11 12:05 AM
127 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD