Hello,

I'm having major problems with my Blackberry Bold only having about 6 hours standby.

I have exchanged the device so I know the problem is not down to being a faulty device.

The device was originally on a VodafoneUK network but has been unlocked using a unlocked code supplied by Vodafone and is currently being used on T-MobileUK.

I have tried switching 3G off and that only improves the battery life slightly.

The device is running 4.6.0.266

I have fully conditioned the battery.

I have also tried both a VodafoneUK and T-MobileUK SIM and that does not effect it anyway.

I'm really confused but having spent nearly 300 on the handset I'm begining to think I have wasted my hard earned cash

Any help would be awesome.
    07-09-09 03:32 AM
    What applications are you running? Are you closing applications properly after using them? Do you have Wi-Fi enabled when you are not in a Wi-Fi area?

Chris
    07-09-09 05:09 AM
    I have WIFI and Bluetooth turned off and close all applications. The only applications I have on the device is Facebook. I have onkly cyclyed the battery once is this likely to have an effect?
    07-09-09 06:02 AM
    It's your fancy theme. Go back to the stock theme. See if that works.
    07-09-09 06:36 AM
    How did you know I was using a different theme? I have tried using the stock theme to and it makes no difference?
    07-09-09 06:47 AM
    I charged the device over night, took it off charge this morning and after 1.5hours the battery has lost lost a block of power and I have hardly used it???

This is really getting silly now, I dont understand why the device is using so much power.

Someone must be able to suggest something else i can try?
    07-10-09 02:57 AM
    I was experiencing exactly the same problem as you. I am also in the UK on the 3 network. I came to the conclusion that a program was running in the background that wasn't showing up in the switch application screen.

I downloaded the latest Rogers 282 OS (see the sticky thread at the top) and installed it on my PC. I then used JL Commander to completely wipe the bold clean and then I installed OS 282 (remember to delete the vendor.xml file fisrt). I did this 3 days ago and the battery lasts just over 2 days now whereas before mine completely discharged in 8 hrs on standby.

You need to do the JL_Commander bit which is a bit scary. I tried installing the OS without doing it and the battery life was the same. Do some searches here and you will find a thread on how to use it. It worked first time perfectly for me. I am on Vista if that is relevant.

I am not sure what was causing the problem on mine, but it might have been the iBerry Today PLus 2 theme I had installed. I have just put it on again to see if the battery life issues return or not.

Good luck.
    07-10-09 03:08 AM
    I was experiencing exactly the same problem as you. I am also in the UK on the 3 network. I came to the conclusion that a program was running in the background that wasn't showing up in the switch application screen.

I downloaded the latest Rogers 282 OS (see the sticky thread at the top) and installed it on my PC. I then used JL Commander to completely wipe the bold clean and then I installed OS 282 (remember to delete the vendor.xml file fisrt). I did this 3 days ago and the battery lasts just over 2 days now whereas before mine completely discharged in 8 hrs on standby.

You need to do the JL_Commander bit which is a bit scary. I tried installing the OS without doing it and the battery life was the same. Do some searches here and you will find a thread on how to use it. It worked first time perfectly for me. I am on Vista if that is relevant.

I am not sure what was causing the problem on mine, but it might have been the iBerry Today PLus 2 theme I had installed. I have just put it on again to see if the battery life issues return or not.

Good luck.
    Lovely mate, will give that ago. I have a number of themes I have purchased from Bplay on the device. I will give that ago latter.

Only have half a battery left now!
    07-10-09 05:20 AM
    Have you managed to fix it now?
    07-11-09 05:26 AM
    I'm having this exact same problem. I don't have any fancy themes, nothing running in the background but the usual stuff. My phone is only 1.5 months old. And this all basically started yesterday. Usually I get about 2 days without charging it (depends on how much I use it).

Two nights ago I charged it and when I woke about 25% was drained and it of course hadn't been used cause I was sleeping, then by the end of the day yesterday it needed to be charged so I charged it before I went to bed. Around 11 it was finished so I unplugged it and went to bed. Then at 5am this morning I woke up and noticed the light flashing telling me the battery was almost dead. In 5 hours of no use the entire battery was drained. So I charged it again and went back to sleep. When I woke up at 8 I unplugged it and now 2 hours later I only have 70% battery left and I haven't used it.

I'm really frustrated and I'm not a big techy so I don't know how to do anything with it (I switched from an iPhone to a Bold) but like I said I've only had it a month and a half and the battery shouldn't already need replacing.

HELP! =(
    07-11-09 12:14 PM
    I was having the same problem, so I upgraded the OS from .247 to .282 and now my battery life is great.
    07-11-09 12:25 PM
    Lovely mate, will give that ago. I have a number of themes I have purchased from Bplay on the device. I will give that ago latter.

Only have half a battery left now!
    Did this work for you? I've switched the handset and battery... Most I've gotten ever was 12 hrs on a ne phone and typical is 6 hrs. I have awful luck with tweaking so while it sounds awesome I'm quite terrified to try the wiping without hearing other success first...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-09 07:40 PM
    I am also having the same problems. I am also not tech savy and have no idea about changing operating systems.
    I went to "options" then "about" and it seems that I am running v4.6.0.167
    which is what came on the Bold when I bought it 8 months ago.
    For the first 6 months the battery was fine--I could go 2 days without charging then all of a sudden I could not get thru 1 day without it going dead and I wasn't doing anything different than when the battery was fine.
    My local AT&T store gave me a brand new battery under warranty and it was fine again------only for 9 days and now it is doing the same thing. I can't get thru 1 day.
    Wifi is off, no bluetooth and nothing is running in background that I know of.
    What gives??
    07-11-09 08:33 PM
    I have fully conditioned the battery.
    I'm afraid to ask what this means. It's very bad for a Li Ion to fully drain, it can dry them out and damage them. You do not want to drain them to condition like the old Ni Cads.
    07-11-09 08:36 PM
    I have upgraded to 282 and its given me approx 2 days standby
    07-13-09 01:21 AM
    Did this work for you? I've switched the handset and battery... Most I've gotten ever was 12 hrs on a ne phone and typical is 6 hrs. I have awful luck with tweaking so while it sounds awesome I'm quite terrified to try the wiping without hearing other success first...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Upgrade to version 282 and this will solve all your standby problems
    07-13-09 01:22 AM
    Hi,

i'm new to crackberry. I have a problem with the battery for my Bold cos i forgotten to charge it.

My blackberry bold has a solid red LED light appeared and a white screen with the empty battery icon (with blue lightning) alternating. i have left it for 2 hours and it still doesnt power up.

Hope u could help.
    07-13-09 04:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD