This is my first post for a long old while. I bought one of the earliest UK 9000 handsets, loved this forum and the phone, and off I went a happy man. I upgraded to the 9700 and LOVE it. It's sleeker, it's smoother and I don't take out small children with it when I walk down the street with it swinging around in my pocket. Yup, it takes a day to get used to the smaller keypad but after a fortnight I'm quicker at typing on the 9700 than the 9000.Your fingers glide over the keypad easier and don't have as far to go.

I wanted my first post to be a positive one because I have only had joy out of this little machine. I never have been tempted by the iphone (I need buttons!) and the bold is where it's at.

But it woke up with a hangover on Monday.

So I've got the phone almost perfect - got my 3 themes (at work, after work, and weekends). Downloaded a couple of games and apps to show off to my mates. Testing out new sounds on a daily basis...

....but then on Monday morning the phone was not able to scroll without selecting. I cannot swipe my finger over the home menu without it selecting something. It is impossible to scroll down through my inboxes without it selecting and going into a text/email. Going through menus is even worse. Particularly ones with drop-down options. It is infuriating!

I have searched the forums and haven't found anyone with this problem. I know about adjusting the sensitivity option but it's not that. I've changed themes, it's not that. I've done a battery pull, no joy.

It feels like every time i go to move the trackball, it feels it has to open something because I've made contact with the trackball. I send text messages non-stop with my job and the last 3 days have been tortuous. I repeat that it worked like a dream for 2 weeks.

I downloaded texas hold em over the weekend. Surely I'm not being punished for the full house on the Jack-two I never should have played but won a shed-load on?

I'm guessing it'll have to be a device exchange but if any wise souls can come to my aid, may poker fortune be always with you!
    01-27-10 01:08 PM
    Sounds like an hardware issue... the only thing I can think of is an exchange!
    01-27-10 01:15 PM
    sounds like you need a replacement device
    01-27-10 01:16 PM
    Thanks guys. You reassured me. I'll get the phone switched tomorrow
    01-27-10 02:05 PM
    Thanks guys. You reassured me. I'll get the phone switched tomorrow
    You can try safe mode to see if any of the 3rd party software is causing this.
    You can start it in safe mode by pulling the bayttery out and then replacing it and continually pressing the back key (on right of the track pad) until the blackberry logo and the progress bar appears. Once started check if it works ok.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-27-10 03:14 PM
    Texas Hold'em has crashed about 6 of my co-workers bbs. Deleting the app seemed to fix any issues they were having.

Could check to see if your SHIFT key is being pressed down, or update to newer OS, see if that fixes it, and don't install holdem after the fress wipe+install.
    01-27-10 04:15 PM
    Have you tried simply doing a battery pull?

01-27-10 04:36 PM
    I 2nd the battery pull suggestion. I had a problem with the cursor selecting, rather than letting me scroll/ click on links. I haven't quite fathomed the restart yet, but a bat pull solved the problem and it hasn't reoccurred since (about two weeks)

Best of luck!

01-27-10 05:42 PM
    I 2nd the battery pull suggestion. I had a problem with the cursor selecting, rather than letting me scroll/ click on links. I haven't quite fathomed the restart yet, but a bat pull solved the problem and it hasn't reoccurred since (about two weeks)

Best of luck!

Yup me too sounds more like it to me.
    01-27-10 05:52 PM
    I have searched the forums and haven't found anyone with this problem. I know about adjusting the sensitivity option but it's not that. I've changed themes, it's not that. I've done a battery pull, no joy.
    Read?

I also suggest rebooting in to 'safe mode' and seeing if that helps. If it does, remove an app one by one, starting with the newest, and see what the culprit is.
    01-27-10 05:55 PM
    Maybe the problem is that you got a phony 9700 because you said multiple times that it has a trackball yet the 9700 has a trackpad?
    01-28-10 10:13 AM
    Guys, thanks so much for the advice.

I didn't realise maybe Texas Hold'em is the problem. I'll try deleting the app, see what happens. If no luck, I'll restart the phone in safe mode.

I've actually got the Orange courier coming over between 9 and 1 tomorrow...so maybe there's a chance of a last minute reprise!

I'll try the above and report back later.

Yeah, I did do a battery pull a few times with no luck
    01-28-10 10:33 AM
    Right, I deleted texas hold em 3 and same problem existed. So I deleted a few more recent apps and no luck.

Tried the battery pull/re-launcing in safe mode...but still no difference.

Oh well, I've only had it for 2 weeks so I'll get a new one tomorrow and not install texas hold em 3. If only I knew of another poker app that works fine for the 9700, hmm......

Thanks again for all your advice. This phone and this site both rock
    01-28-10 11:49 AM
    Aces Holdem is on sale

01-28-10 12:46 PM
    Thanks for the tip!
    01-28-10 03:37 PM
    Before this thread gets put to bed, just a quickie - Orange were very good at replacing the handset. They organised a courier to drop by and replace between 9 and 1 the next day (I was supposed to give back the charger and bits and bobs that came with but I forgot to bring them to work with me...the courier didn't bat an eyelid and clearly had better things on his mind, so it's nice to now have 2 chargers - one for home, one for work)

Onto the question...syncing back contacts and calendar was not a problem with DM, but I couldn't find any of the apps that DM used to give me the option of restoring/deleting each time I plugged the phone into the mac.

Do I have to re-install all the old apps and themes again with the new device OTA? I paid for a few things from the crackberry store for the old device too. Are they easily found on the mac or will I have to pay for them again (can you re-use old activation codes?)

Hope this makes sense!

It's lovely to have a working device again.
    02-01-10 01:23 PM
    You can re-use old codes as far as I know

02-04-10 12:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD