Thanks for the impressions. I was having hard time deciding what to do too. I will be keeping the iPhone 4 and PB until the Colt is out.
    08-24-11 10:51 AM
    I went from the ipone4 to the 9930, was a good move for me. It really just depends what you are looking for in a phone.
    08-24-11 10:56 AM
    I went from the ipone4 to the 9930, was a good move for me. It really just depends what you are looking for in a phone.
    Well said.

As to others, be careful when you categorically say that one device is "best" at something. At the very least, it is highly subjective.

Are you really, really sure the BB is best at messaging for everybody? Are you sure that it is best at messaging for professionals?
    08-24-11 11:00 AM
    I was looking for a reason to take a dump this morning, but I couldn't... so i took a leak instead.
    Bold9930 likes this.
    08-24-11 11:01 AM
    You must not be happy with you IP4 if your looking for other handsets to replace it.

If you are looking for an IP4 with a keyboard, the 9900 is not it nor is RIM trying to make it like the IP4. If your "looking for a reason to dump your IP4" as in your thread, I would suggest you look at an Android, since, the OS is similar to the IP4, but IMO way better.
    08-24-11 11:06 AM
    Dual core processor, much enhanced 3D graphics capabilities, new OS with new notification system, bigger screen, possibly LED notification and HOPEFULLY an improved battery.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Oh, so basically, the same phone and maybe on par with RIMM for notifications now. LOL.

That wouldn't be a reason for me to switch, personally. I've always said that it'll be very difficult for apple to top itself with the iPhone and you are helping to validate this notion. Only incremental changes at this point.
    08-24-11 11:08 AM
    Oh boy, the thread is starting to turn sour folks...I'm moving on...

P.S. LOVE MY 9930 - STILL!
    08-24-11 11:11 AM
    You must not be happy with you IP4 if your looking for other handsets to replace it.

If you are looking for an IP4 with a keyboard, the 9900 is not it nor is RIM trying to make it like the IP4. If your "looking for a reason to dump your IP4" as in your thread, I would suggest you look at an Android, since, the OS is similar to the IP4, but IMO way better.
    I'm actually quite happy with my Iphone. Its an all in one device. The only reason I was looking into the 9930 was because I had a bb for many years and was hoping the new 9930 was a real show stopper.

As for android, I made that move once and regretted it. Their OS is too complex. I like BB/IOS/WebOS because of the simplicity of them. There was too much going on with the android OS. I didnt like it at all!. Good if you're a tech geek.
    08-24-11 11:15 AM
    I'm actually quite happy with my Iphone. Its an all in one device. The only reason I was looking into the 9930 was because I had a bb for many years and was hoping the new 9930 was a real show stopper.

As for android, I made that move once and regretted it. Their OS is too complex. I like BB/IOS/WebOS because of the simplicity of them. There was too much going on with the android OS. I didnt like it at all!. Good if you're a tech geek.
    Like what? Truly curious... not trying to pick a fight.
    08-24-11 11:24 AM
    It's all personal preference. I dropped my iPhone 4 for the 9930. The touchscreen/physical keyboard combo are a win for me.

I cannot bash the iPhone at all, it does just do about everything better. But there is something about BlackBerry that I enjoy and I think its overall a great phone.

That's why there are so many choices for phones, each person has their preference.
    Well said. I did the same thing. iPhone 4 is a great device, but I have had my 9930 for a week now and don't regret my decision. My wife loves her iPhone 4 and has no interest in my 9930, but she understands perfectly why I prefer it. We use our phones for two very different purposes. Choices are good right?
    08-24-11 11:27 AM

We also like:

* the iP4 is not a world phone as the Bold is. Can't go to Europe on vacation with it.
    * the BB has 1.2Ghz vs 1Ghz processor. Not a big deal really but a clear advantage.
    * the BB is NFC capable. The iP4 is not nor will the next one because of security.
    * the BB gives you the ability to back up the phone to SD card, the iP4 does not. Kids break your phone and you are toast w/iP4
    * the BB still has the best security, best e-mail, best messaging.
    * the BB is the gold standard for durable hardware to include the best physical keyboard in the world.

I had an iPhone and it is a nice device but you know that the call quality is poor. I read your note on the camera and for close ups you got a point but it takes great pictures of my kids and I very satisfied with both the camera and video quality. Especially since there is NO lag from touch to picture.
    The IP4 is a world phone on every carrier but Verizon. IP5 may be a world phone even on Verizon.

CPU clock speed is apples to oranges comparison (or Apple to Blackberry). The OS and apps have more influence on performance than a 0.2 GHZ clock speed difference.

The BB also lets you do a partial OTA backup which is much safer IMHO. OTOH email, calendar, contacts etc is probably already in the cloud.

The IP4 offers direct EAS access which is superior to BIS for accessing Exchange servers or Gmail or any other provider which supports EAS. No truncated emails, folder support and Gmail via EAS on the iPhone doesn't mangle contact's street addresses.

RIM hardware is no longer the gold standard for durability. OTOH the 9930 keyboard is amazing. It's worth getting the phone just for that keyboard.
    08-24-11 11:29 AM
    Tre, I can somewhatspeak from experience. Getting around Android isn't as easy as BB, and IOS (I'm thinking).In BB, everything is there. I realized, just recently, how fragmented Android can be for some. Having to climb useless hurdles can be painstaking for some, if not, many

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-24-11 11:29 AM
    when will these pointless threads stop?!?
    08-24-11 11:31 AM
    Like what? Truly curious... not trying to pick a fight.
    Its just not as simple as the other OS's. I dont need a phone with 5 different home screens. It takes too long looking for certain apps and icons. I also dont like all the junk preloaded apps that come with android and cant be deleted unless you hack/root the phone. Battery life is crap.

My personal favorite OS is WebOS. Very simple and user friendly. What ever apps are running are right on the front screen and when you're done, you just swipe them away to close. Unlike other OS's that have these apps running in the backround until you manually close them out.
    Last edited by deevel79; 08-24-11 at 11:39 AM.
    08-24-11 11:33 AM
    Tre, I can somewhatspeak from experience. Getting around Android isn't as easy as BB, and IOS (I'm thinking).In BB, everything is there. I realized, just recently, how fragmented Android can be for some. Having to climb useless hurdles can be painstaking for some, if not, many

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Hopefully, ICS fixes the fragmentation... the sooner the better.

Its just not as simple as the other OS's. I dont need a phone with 5 different home screens. It takes too time looking for certain apps and icons. I also dont like all the junk preloaded apps that come with android and cant be deleted unless you hack/root the phone. Battery life is crap.

My personal favorite OS is WebOS. Very simple and user friendly. What ever apps are running are right on the front screen and when you're done, you just swipe them away to close. Unlike other OS's that have these apps running in the backround until you manually close them out.
    Huh... I actually like the multiple screens (not to discount your experience; different strokes). Plus, having those homescreens isn't mandatory. I find it makes it easier to get to the programs I need faster. Heck, having a screen of widgets is an advantage for me.

I completely agree on the bloatware, but iPhones, IMHO, carry the biggest bloatware ever: iTunes.

I'd like to see improvements on battery life too.
    08-24-11 11:40 AM

If your happy with your IP4, then why are you looking for a 9900? The 9900 is a real show stopper for existing BB users and is the best BB to date and I know many of my friends have already made the switch back to BB because of this. Email, messaging, communication is top notch. It truly is an amazing device.

You have been on this forum long enough to know that each OS is very different from the rest of them and it all depends on what your needs are, you have probably heard this over and over. If your happy with your IP4, you do not NEED a Blackberry.
    08-24-11 11:51 AM
    If people love Apps, go to android or iPHone.

I don't use my phone for stupid apps. I use my phone to be productive. Whether that means I'm talking to some hunniez, colleagues or bbming old friends... It doesn't matter.

I can just imagine people like ESN being like: "DO U GOT AN APP FOR DAT LOL. O WAIT U USE BLACKBERRY NO APPZ4U DEWD".

*shakes head*. I don't know what's up with people needing apps for every little damn thing in today's world.

Hopefully one day the iPhone/droids will get a toilet paper app where the screen is just a roll of toilet paper that you can finger scroll. That way people can wipe their behind with their app fascination.

Sickening. Don't buy a blackberry if your main priority isn't being productive.

/endrant.
    08-24-11 11:51 AM
    If people love Apps, go to android or iPHone.

I don't use my phone for stupid apps. I use my phone to be productive. Whether that means I'm talking to some hunniez, colleagues or bbming old friends... It doesn't matter.

I can just imagine people like ESN being like: "DO U GOT AN APP FOR DAT LOL. O WAIT U USE BLACKBERRY NO APPZ4U DEWD".

*shakes head*. I don't know what's up with people needing apps for every little damn thing in today's world.

Hopefully one day the iPhone/droids will get a toilet paper app where the screen is just a roll of toilet paper that you can finger scroll. That way people can wipe their behind with their app fascination.

Sickening. Don't buy a blackberry if your main priority isn't being productive.

/endrant.
    Not wanting to ruin your self-created Nirvana, but you do know that BBM, for instance, is an app, right?

Then again... never mind. Rant on. Forget that apps increase functionality. If you had a Skype app, that would be even more "hunniez" to talk to... more productivity for you.
    08-24-11 12:01 PM
    Not wanting to ruin your self-created Nirvana, but you do know that BBM, for instance, is an app, right?

Then again... never mind. Rant on. Forget that apps increase functionality. If you had a Skype app, that would be even more "hunniez" to talk to... more productivity for you.
    I meant third party apps. I'm happy with whatever comes on the phone and whatever other first party apps I'd need like eBay, etc. I'm trying to say the third party developer support isn't why I bought a blackberry. For many people who use an iPhone/Android, they care about those apps that are made by people who program in their basements.

Skyping with hunniez is a fine line :P I don't cam, haha.
    08-24-11 12:05 PM
    BBM is an app, and you use that. But I guess that app is okay for people to use, it's just all those other apps that people shouldn't be using. Right? Besides, you'll have to try and convince me how "talking to some hunniez" and "bbming old friends" is any more productive than playing a good game or reading RSS feeds.

Sounds like you are describing people that also use the word "hunniez." You know... like you did.

What a strange hangup you have. Why on earth does it matter to you? Use apps, don't use apps... whatever. But you are really wrapped around the axles about this. You should take a deep breath and count to ten.
    Bold9930 likes this.
    08-24-11 12:06 PM
    I meant third party apps. I'm happy with whatever comes on the phone and whatever other first party apps I'd need like eBay, etc.
    Ah... got it. It makes so much more sense now. When you install apps, it's okay. When others want more apps, they are unreasonable.
    Last edited by ifarlow; 08-24-11 at 12:13 PM.
    08-24-11 12:08 PM
    If your happy with your IP4, then why are you looking for a 9900?
    That's kind of unfair.

I know that I look at new devices. I am happy with my current one, but if I can find one that fits me better AND within my budget, I'd consider it, regardless of platform.
    08-24-11 12:11 PM
    If your happy with your IP4, then why are you looking for a 9900?
    Some people (myself included) like to shop around for technology and change phones fairly frequently. It's not as much about being unhappy with one device over another as much as it's about being interested in the latest offerings.
    08-24-11 12:15 PM
    Some people (myself included) like to shop around for technology and change phones fairly frequently. It's not as much about being unhappy with one device over another as much as it's about being interested in the latest offerings.

I agree, I am in the same boat as you and change phone a lot(see my sig). My bad. That wasn't really the point I was trying to make. I just meant if he was really happy with his IP4(OS and form factor), to stick with the IP4 or go Android(if it was the OS and form factor he was happy with on the IP4).
    08-24-11 12:32 PM
    Oh, so basically, the same phone and maybe on par with RIMM for notifications now. LOL.

That wouldn't be a reason for me to switch, personally. I've always said that it'll be very difficult for apple to top itself with the iPhone and you are helping to validate this notion. Only incremental changes at this point.
    So what is the 9930? An entirely new phone built from scratch? No, it's "incremental changes" from the last Bold, oh and with a touch screen - hardly innovative.

The iPhone 5 is basically everything that makes the other iPhones such a winning design, but with some of the flaws ironed out, a much faster processor, more memory, a bigger screen, more powerful graphics chip etc. If you're going to dismiss those improvements as "merely incremental" then I guess the same can be said for all computer technology advancements over the last 50 years, which have all basically been "incremental."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 12:41 PM
141 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD