As a lifelong BB user, I was excited and couldnt wait for the 9930 to drop for Verizon. I've been a BB owner ever since the 8730 all the way up to the 9650 when I grew rather bored with the 9650 and jumped ship to the IP4. I went to the vzw store to play with the phone the other day and although the phone was nice, it wasnt THAT much of an improvement over previous BB devices. Nor was it THAT much of an improvement to make me drop my IP4 for.

The main reason I was looking forward to jumping back on the BB ship was the physical keyboard. I really do miss texting on it as oppose to the Iphone where I continuously make mistakes. What I wasnt impressed with was the fact the browser still seems to be laggy and the camera was far from impressive. Now I dont need professional quality pictures, but since I dont walk around with a camera every day, I'd like to be able to take some good quality pics straight from my phone. If anything, the camera seems to take less quality pictures over my previous 3.2mp bold! Another issue I had was the cheap plasticky battery cover. That thing is destined for scratches galore unless covered with a case. I prefer to rock my phone bare with a seidio holster, and with a cheap plastic cover like that, it would have gotten scratched up in no time. Another gripe I have is the fact that BB refuses to use gorilla glass for their flagship phone. Scratches on the screen is very unsightly and for a $500 phone, you would think they would use a scratchproof glass screen like apple and even palm/HP did with their Pre 2.

So at the end of the day, I just couldnt justify getting rid of my IP4 for the Bold 9930. It would have been like going from a lexus to a honda.
    Last edited by deevel79; 08-24-11 at 08:04 AM.
    HD123 likes this.
    08-24-11 08:02 AM
    Ok, then don't buy one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-24-11 08:09 AM
    Ok seems like a fair enough reason...i have an iphone4 and i still prefer my Bold 9780 over it...go figure eh??...different courses for different horses.

Im looking very much to my 9900 next week, when i get paid...played with a demo one the other day and have to say its by far the best BB ive ever laid my eyes and hands...sucks that the demo unit you played with was laggy but looking at various posts on here, it seems like your in the major minority here.
    08-24-11 08:10 AM
    It almost seems like Rim threw a new phone out there until the new QNX phones are released. I sent mine back and kept my Droid Incredible 2 because I would loose so much and it felt like a downgrade. It a beautiful device on the outside but the guts are not even close to today's technology.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
    Nickerz likes this.
    08-24-11 08:11 AM
    Mine never lags, must be a bad demo...I'll let you play with my 9930 and see if that will convince you
    beamolite likes this.
    08-24-11 08:32 AM
    If you want to keep wasting your time playing Angry Birds and Words with Friends on your PHONE, then by all means keep the iToy 4. If you want to be productive, get the 9930. Period.
    08-24-11 08:40 AM
    If you want to keep wasting your time playing Angry Birds and Words with Friends, then by all means keep the iToy 4. If you want to be productive, get the 9930. Period.
    Funny as how I dont even play games on my IP4. The only apps I have are productivity apps.
    hh72385 and HD123 like this.
    08-24-11 08:43 AM
    Mine never lags, must be a bad demo...I'll let you play with my 9930 and see if that will convince you
    I even did a reboot to see if that would help. It still was taking long for certain web pages to load.
    08-24-11 08:44 AM
    If you want to keep wasting your time playing Angry Birds and Words with Friends on your PHONE, then by all means keep the iToy 4. If you want to be productive, get the 9930. Period.

If you want to keep wasting your time playing 3D Roller Coaster Rush Jurassic 2 on your PHONE then by all means keep the BBToy. If you want to be productive, get the iPhone 4. Period.
    HD123, TomRedman, hh72385 and 1 others like this.
    08-24-11 08:53 AM
    Most of the lag on mine was apps not playing nice with the phone.. The new bold is quick with very little lag if any. The real issue is the lack of apps that actually work on the device. Most of the popular ones still don't work so that was my main reason to send it back. I use Dropbox daily and when i downloaded to my 9930 everything was fine until I tried to open it nothing.. How long before the basic apps work on the new bold? I only had 14 days with verizon and I didn't trust the app issue being fixed in time.

08-24-11 09:05 AM
    I was looking for a reason to make an omelette this morning, I couldn't justify it so I made a breakfast sandwich.
    08-24-11 09:14 AM
    It's all personal preference. I dropped my iPhone 4 for the 9930. The touchscreen/physical keyboard combo are a win for me.

I cannot bash the iPhone at all, it does just do about everything better. But there is something about BlackBerry that I enjoy and I think its overall a great phone.

That's why there are so many choices for phones, each person has their preference.
    08-24-11 09:29 AM
    The 9900/9930 just Finally gets Blackberry a seat at the Big Boys Table, I have been a long time fan of the Keyboard but little else . I love the iPhone I use everyday, but was very much looking forward to the 9900, I spent the afternoon playing with the 9930 at 3 different Verizon stores. I wanted to make sure I didn't have a crappy Demo unit. My feelings are exactly as the ones above. It is a better Blackberry for sure , but no way is it better than what I got . But diffrent strokes for different folks I guess.

08-24-11 09:32 AM
    I was the same way, I decided to sell my iphone and go with the 9930 but now I think Im sorry I did that.
    08-24-11 09:32 AM
    I'm not exactly an iPhone fan but I do think this particular line of attack has become a little shopworn. They're actually very productive devices that have a ton of excellent business apps.

08-24-11 09:33 AM
    Can you see us clearly from 2009?
    James Wang and Nickerz like this.
    08-24-11 09:42 AM
    The real issue is the lack of apps that actually work on the device. Most of the popular ones still don't work so that was my main reason to send it back.

All the apps that I really need are now loaded for me and work great...The other apps are just weeks out...Not really that big of an issue to be honest. They got the phones out in the market and if they waited for all the developers, they'd be in a big pickle....I very elated they released when they did...Now the developers will be catching up with the upgraded apps soon. It shouldn't be that difficult as I have older apps already on my 9930 that are working fine.
    08-24-11 09:48 AM
    ya, iPhone 5 is coming next month
    08-24-11 09:52 AM
    ya, iPhone 5 is coming next month
    Just curious....What does the i5 do now?
    08-24-11 10:03 AM
    Just curious....What does the i5 do now?
    Dual core processor, much enhanced 3D graphics capabilities, new OS with new notification system, bigger screen, possibly LED notification and HOPEFULLY an improved battery.

08-24-11 10:13 AM
    Dual core processor, much enhanced 3D graphics capabilities, new OS with new notification system, bigger screen, possibly LED notification and HOPEFULLY an improved battery.

feldmen01 likes this.
    08-24-11 10:26 AM
    I was looking for a reason to go back to iphone 4 but can't. Bold 9900 is so much more reliable and looks better too.

08-24-11 10:27 AM
    Funny as how I dont even play games on my IP4. The only apps I have are productivity apps.
    I'm not exactly an iPhone fan but I do think this particular line of attack has become a little shopworn. They're actually very productive devices that have a ton of excellent business apps.

Ignore that line. It is becoming the rallying cry of the confused and/or ignorant.
    08-24-11 10:32 AM
    You make a case but on the other hand if you like a naked phone as I do, you probably have experienced the dropped call from the antenna problem on the iP4. I had one and this is why Consumer Report said not to buy it. But marketing seems to rule. Also:

We just picked up our BB Bold's and we think they look and feel awesome. I see nothing cheap about them. We also like:

* the iP4 is not a world phone as the Bold is. Can't go to Europe on vacation with it.
    * the BB has 1.2Ghz vs 1Ghz processor. Not a big deal really but a clear advantage.
    * the BB is NFC capable. The iP4 is not nor will the next one because of security.
    * the BB gives you the ability to back up the phone to SD card, the iP4 does not. Kids break your phone and you are toast w/iP4
    * the BB still has the best security, best e-mail, best messaging.
    * the BB is the gold standard for durable hardware to include the best physical keyboard in the world.

I had an iPhone and it is a nice device but you know that the call quality is poor. I read your note on the camera and for close ups you got a point but it takes great pictures of my kids and I very satisfied with both the camera and video quality. Especially since there is NO lag from touch to picture.

However, if you enjoy watching movies on your phone the iP4 is still the gold standard. They do have great apps and games. There is clearly a market for these things and that is just fine. If your priorities are phone, e-mail, messaging, security, and still get good movie viewing, live TV and a great music player and are O.K. without as many apps the choice is obvious. Blackberry. Different strokes for different folks. Competition is good.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 08-24-11 at 11:05 AM.
    pattste, imcurved and bAAx like this.
    08-24-11 10:45 AM
    Whatever, keep your head in the sand where I'm sure it's veeeeery comfortable!

08-24-11 10:50 AM
141 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD