Hi all, new member here, and I'd like to get some input from some of you verteran CrackBerry users, if you'd be so kind to oblige

I've been quite intrigued with BB lately, the Bold in particular (the upcoming 9900 piqued my interest)...anyway, I'm on AT&T and have owned pretty much every iteration of touchscreen smartphone you can think of....iPhone, Android...and I'm currently using a WP7 device. While I didn't dislike any of them, many of the features are unused by me. I'd rather leave the games, heavy browsing, and media consumption for a tablet.

I will most likely pick up an unlocked 9780 (the lack of 3g isn't a dealbreaker for me...and as wonderful as the 9900 seems, the rumored price is a bit out of my range at the moment). But before I take the plunge, I'd like to ask a few questions:

1) In general, how's the performance with routine tasks (text, email, light browsing, twitter, etc)? Does it tend to slow up or lag as the day goes on? Can I expect to reboot often? I don't plan on installing a plethora of apps.

2) Are you guys fairly satisfied with the stock maps/navigation apps? Are there other worthwhile options available (google maps, bing, etc)?

3) There are some numbers that I need blocked, calls and sms (not for the reasons you may suspect! ). Can anyone recommend a good app that would handle that task? I've seen a few in the App World, just wanted some opinions.

Thanks, and all replies will be appreciated...even if you tell me to f*** off and search the forums
    08-08-11 08:55 PM
    1) In general, how's the performance with routine tasks (text, email, light browsing, twitter, etc)? Does it tend to slow up or lag as the day goes on? Can I expect to reboot often? I don't plan on installing a plethora of apps.

It will be fine, I can text all day with my old bold 9700, BBM, SMS. Receive push emails. Had no problem light browsing whatsoever. I used to use seesmic for twitter and facebook, it's a great app for crackberry.

2) Are you guys fairly satisfied with the stock maps/navigation apps? Are there other worthwhile options available (google maps, bing, etc)?

I was pretty happy with the stock map, but I did have google map installed on my bold.

3) There are some numbers that I need blocked, calls and sms (not for the reasons you may suspect! ). Can anyone recommend a good app that would handle that task? I've seen a few in the App World, just wanted some opinions.

I think there's an app you can download for blocking numbers. I haven't use one personally, so I can't give opinions on this part.

Thanks, and all replies will be appreciated...even if you tell me to f*** off and search the forums [/QUOTE]
    08-08-11 10:14 PM
    I'm satisfied with the overall performance of my Bold. It doesn't slow down or lag as the day goes on. I can get 3 days of usage out of it before I need to charge, provided my BBM Groups aren't chatting like mad. There are a multitude of settings and features you can customize to increase battery life and memory in order to maximize performance. If you get the Bold, I would recommend that you search the forum for these topics. I usually need to reboot if I install/delete an app or OS. The browser isn't phenomenal, but it certainly does what I need it to do. The stock Maps app works for me, but I don't rely heavily on it. Not sure about #3. Hope this helps.
    08-09-11 07:43 AM
    My Bold works really well just in general usage and the stock maps app works well for me too. The call blocker app I've used is Mr. Number call blocker, it gets annoying sometimes but it works good at blocking my ex-wife.
    08-09-11 08:13 AM
    1) it is great for texting and email. The phone needs a battery pull every once in a while. I would say it takes mine about 5 mins to refresh. I need to do this about twice a week. The device does not slow up or lag or have force close issues like Android.

2) I installed garmin app. I like the speech of the garmin (turn left on main street). This app is expensive though but replaces a Garmin device. It was 100 bucks. Google maps is free but doesn't talk.

3) not sure. I would read comments in the app world.
    08-09-11 08:18 AM
    Thanks for the input!
    08-09-11 05:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD