Hi CrackBerry Nation! I have my Blackberry Bold 9780 on hand pretty regularly and I have recently decided to pursue the difference between holding down the "A" key on the keyboard or just pressing the lock key on the top left side of the device. Is there a difference between the two, or is it just a piece of code that stayed through the refreshes of the device until they had a physical lock key? If there is a difference what is is? Thanks Nation!
    08-01-11 05:28 PM
    There is no difference... one is a shortcut to lock the keypad, the other is a dedicated button.

Either way, you have to use the lock button to unlock again.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 05:32 PM
    There is a little test to prove there's no difference between the two...

If you open your Events Log Viewer (Alt LGLG), clear the log, escape out then either long press the A key, or press the lock button, you'll see that the event action for each is identical when you return to the log.

Both will display that Standby Mode was entered/disabled.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-11 05:43 PM
    Does anyone know of a way to unlock the screen without the dedicated lock button. That button recently broke on my phone and I cannot figure out how to unlock it.
    08-03-11 09:14 AM
    Does anyone know of a way to unlock the screen without the dedicated lock button. That button recently broke on my phone and I cannot figure out how to unlock it.
    Use a holder or holster with a magnet. The magnet in these holders is designed to lock and unlock the phone for you automatically.

You may be able to just add a small magnet to your keyring and wave this at the right point on the front of the phone for a "magic" unlock.

I know it is also possible to change what the buttons on the side of the phone do. Not sure if the top one is re-mappable as well. but you could at least map the unlock to the side button.
    08-03-11 10:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD