you're not hardcore enough garz. if you were really addicted, you'd get a t-mobile line to take advantage of that UMA
    03-31-09 07:46 PM
    you're not hardcore enough garz. if you were really addicted, you'd get a t-mobile line to take advantage of that UMA

No need for UMA for me. I have plenty of minutes and dont have issues picking up service in all the places that I have wifi.
    03-31-09 07:49 PM
    Bold FTW, best BB I've ever used!
    05-18-09 04:31 PM
    I too have been looking at buying a 8900. The problem arises when I think of selling my 9000. Just can't do it.

I agree with the above poster! I will buy the 8900 outright and keep both.
    05-18-09 05:16 PM
    ~8900 FTW!~
    Best BB EVER!
    05-18-09 09:30 PM
    It's so tough to say. Like everyone has already mentioned, a lot of people like the size of the 8900 as well as the extra memory. For me, I prefer the Bold because of 3g, not to mention I personally prefer the keyboard on the Bold. Having used both the 8900 and the Bold, I type so much faster on the Bold.

I'm somewhat torn between the two. If the Bold had more memory for applications I wouldn't feel nearly as torn.
    05-18-09 10:32 PM
    i love the bold
    05-19-09 02:37 PM
    Same here.

It's so tough to say. Like everyone has already mentioned, a lot of people like the size of the 8900 as well as the extra memory. For me, I prefer the Bold because of 3g, not to mention I personally prefer the keyboard on the Bold. Having used both the 8900 and the Bold, I type so much faster on the Bold.

I'm somewhat torn between the two. If the Bold had more memory for applications I wouldn't feel nearly as torn.
    05-20-09 04:08 AM
    added a few things to my likes of the Bold on the original post
    06-06-09 01:02 PM
    added a few things to my likes of the Bold on the original post
    You know Garz, I just got myself an 8900 yesterday and for some odd reason I find it much more smoother to type on than the Bold. So this is suprising me now that so many say that the Bold is easier to type on. Maybe I can't ever get used to sort of slipping my thumb to another key or something. Weird.
    06-06-09 01:18 PM
    hat other features should i put into my decision making? I wish i could have 3G on the Curve but that is not possible lol. For those that have experience with the bold vs. curve how much faster is the Bold when it comes to web-browsing? and also i read somewhere that on the bold i can browse the web and receive calls while the curve would send incoming calls while i browse the web straight to answering..is this true? I don't do much multi-tasking but i'm want to get my calls while texting looking on the web occasionally/checking email.
    06-07-09 10:23 PM

NEWB Q but can you somehow add more memory to the Bold? And what is the memory used for? Apps? Will the extra memory help recover pics that you have saved faster?
    06-07-09 10:24 PM
    NEWB Q but can you somehow add more memory to the Bold? And what is the memory used for? Apps? Will the extra memory help recover pics that you have saved faster?
    You can't add memory for things like apps and OS operation. You can add memory cards for storing your media like movies, music and photos, but that is different.

The memory in question in this thread is the device's built in memory. The Bold has 128mb of memory used for storing applications, as well as acting as RAM for those apps AND the OS. What this means, is that out of 128mb of actual, installed memory, you only actually have about 35-45mb of free memory once you have installed a few apps and have taken the running of things into account.

The 8900 on the other hand has 256mb of onboard memory, which is double that of the Bold. Theoretically speaking, you could install the same number of apps on the 8900 and have 135-145mb of free memory left for device needs. What this means in a nutshell is that despite the 8900 having a slightly slower processor, it may still be faster for accessing apps, opening menus, loading photos, etc.

Now, if you are moving up from something like the original Curve, the 8800 series, 8100 series, or even older devices; the Bold will be a TREMENDOUS increase in performance. The only people that will consider the Bold "slow" are those that have used it and then used the 8900, but in the long run, the differences are minimal (when comparing the Bold and the 8900 that is).

Summary of all this is that the added memory of the 8900 is good for several things, but the most noticeable and most important of those things is the much higher number of apps it lets you install. (The 1 gig of onboard storage memory on the Bold, STUPIDLY, can't be used for storing and running apps...)
    06-08-09 01:41 AM
    Sweet phone but Bold wins hands down. Been there done that.

I really need to play with an 8900 soon. This makes me wanna check one out now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-09 02:12 AM
    You can't add memory for things like apps and OS operation. You can add memory cards for storing your media like movies, music and photos, but that is different.

The memory in question in this thread is the device's built in memory. The Bold has 128mb of memory used for storing applications, as well as acting as RAM for those apps AND the OS. What this means, is that out of 128mb of actual, installed memory, you only actually have about 35-45mb of free memory once you have installed a few apps and have taken the running of things into account.

The 8900 on the other hand has 256mb of onboard memory, which is double that of the Bold. Theoretically speaking, you could install the same number of apps on the 8900 and have 135-145mb of free memory left for device needs. What this means in a nutshell is that despite the 8900 having a slightly slower processor, it may still be faster for accessing apps, opening menus, loading photos, etc.

Now, if you are moving up from something like the original Curve, the 8800 series, 8100 series, or even older devices; the Bold will be a TREMENDOUS increase in performance. The only people that will consider the Bold "slow" are those that have used it and then used the 8900, but in the long run, the differences are minimal (when comparing the Bold and the 8900 that is).

Summary of all this is that the added memory of the 8900 is good for several things, but the most noticeable and most important of those things is the much higher number of apps it lets you install. (The 1 gig of onboard storage memory on the Bold, STUPIDLY, can't be used for storing and running apps...)
    Thank you for the great explanation, that helped me really understand the diffrence in the two.

Last Q: I heard having 3G means you can browse the web and get incoming calls, but if your on the E network and are checking emails or browsing the web and someone calls you it goes straight to answering? For me there are many things (memory, better camera) that makes me want the Curve yet the 3G of the bold and the better video makes me want the bold. lol i'm torn

EDIT: Do you know how much memory apps such as Facebook/Pandora take up?
    Last edited by Amiricanmade; 06-08-09 at 01:38 PM.
    06-08-09 01:34 PM
    Sweet phone but Bold wins hands down. Been there done that.
    Bold does win overall. But I'm liking both since I got my 8900 not long ago.
    06-08-09 01:39 PM
    8900 is a Curve after all. The Curve2.

My say on 8900 v 9000 :

Curve is OLD. The new & improved BOLD is Gold.
    06-08-09 01:48 PM
    I just did my own comparison this weekend between the Bold and 8900 and could not understand something:

8900 screen resolution is 480 x 360
    Bold is 480 x 320.
    Makes sense. But when I tried typing a number of lines on the Bold vs. the 8900... it looks like the Bold is able to display MORE vertical lines and more horizontal characters across than the 8900... at the same font and font size setting?

Why is that?
    06-08-09 02:24 PM
    Well, I'll admit. I had just decided that I wanted the 8900- and had the 8310. The rep at AT&T talked me into the Bold and after having it one day I thought I would regret it. But... I really like it now. I'm glad I went with the Bold, I'm not even 100% sure what was the determining factor for staying with it, but I'm glad I did.
    06-08-09 03:38 PM
    I own both a javelin and a bold and honestly could not choose between the two and swap over every couple of weeks.

All points raised so far are accurate for each phone but have no bearing on how i use each device ie app space is not an issue for me,3g signal is not a must have in my area and speed of processing not essential as i do not use it for work purposes.
    I use my berrys for pure pleasure of use and the functionality they offer if needed to.Personnally i slightly favour the bold as bigger is better for me in regards to keyboard size and ease of typing.I prefer the bigger screen for watching movies and dont really notice the difference in resolution quality to the 8900.I would sum up the bold like a 6 series BMW or a Jaguar,they are bigger,comfortable to use,have all the features required and everyone will admire it when they see it,it says quality all over it,to coin a phrase "A shooting star will burn and fade away" but the Bold is here for every and a day.

Highlander
    06-08-09 03:52 PM
    I own both a javelin and a bold and honestly could not choose between the two and swap over every couple of weeks.
    Highlander
    Same here I usually swap every few days, best of both worlds I suppose
    06-08-09 08:01 PM
    how would the tour compare to these phones? (For those stuck on Verizon)
    06-08-09 10:57 PM
    Thank you for the great explanation, that helped me really understand the diffrence in the two.

Last Q: I heard having 3G means you can browse the web and get incoming calls, but if your on the E network and are checking emails or browsing the web and someone calls you it goes straight to answering? For me there are many things (memory, better camera) that makes me want the Curve yet the 3G of the bold and the better video makes me want the bold. lol i'm torn

EDIT: Do you know how much memory apps such as Facebook/Pandora take up?

+1
    How much memory will i need for facebook/pandora?
    06-10-09 12:48 AM
    +1
    How much memory will i need for facebook/pandora?
    Sorry for the delay, but I am not on here as much as I used to be. I am currently not using a BlackBerry, but am thinking of coming back to the old faithful and can't decide if I want another Bold (had one already), or the new Curve myself, which is how I stumbled across this thread.

That said, apps for BlackBerrys are not typically very large. I can't tell you the exact sizes of Pandora and FaceBook, but I can tell you that they are probably between 500k and 2mb from my long history of BlackBerry experience. If all you are installing is a handful of apps, you will be more than fine on either the Bold or the 8900. ****, back in the day I think I had upwards of 15 different apps and themes installed on my 8310 (which only had 25mb of free memory with nothing installed, AFTER I cleaned out the space taking crap I never used) and still had 17-18mb free.
    06-11-09 12:40 AM
    Sorry for the delay, but I am not on here as much as I used to be. I am currently not using a BlackBerry, but am thinking of coming back to the old faithful and can't decide if I want another Bold (had one already), or the new Curve myself, which is how I stumbled across this thread.

That said, apps for BlackBerrys are not typically very large. I can't tell you the exact sizes of Pandora and FaceBook, but I can tell you that they are probably between 500k and 2mb from my long history of BlackBerry experience. If all you are installing is a handful of apps, you will be more than fine on either the Bold or the 8900. ****, back in the day I think I had upwards of 15 different apps and themes installed on my 8310 (which only had 25mb of free memory with nothing installed, AFTER I cleaned out the space taking crap I never used) and still had 17-18mb free.

No prob, thank you for your responce.

I went down the the AT&T store today and looked at the Bold and Curve. I'm really leaning towards the Bold (i'll have to make my decision this sunday) as it gives me the memory i need and want (i'd just have a couple themes, facebook/pandora and **** load of music <-- will the music slow it down?). The curve is great for it's camera and small size but i'm not sure if i can get used to the size, i have trouble typing on the bold and think that's too small so the curve would just be too lil for my hands.
    06-11-09 02:11 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD