Hey CB community! We have seen some great reviews from moderator Bla1ze between the 8900 & the 9000 and we just got a review a couple weeks ago from Craig Johnston on the 8900 and also on the podcast but I wanted to tell what I liked best between the two devices. If you have used both devices, post what you liked about one over the other. I am curious to see what others think too!

My likes of the Jav:

-Much more memory application memory. I run 125MB free vs. 40-45 of the Bold
    -Much better camera at 3.2 megapixel
    -Clearer screen quality. It shows the colors better
    -A little smaller(consumers love that) and easier to type and navigate while just using one hand.
    -Smoother scrolling trackball and black as well
    -UMA free calls over wifi is great

My likes of the Bold:

-Bigger screen. Once I have the bigger screen, tough to take the smaller screen
    -Much better keypad and easier to type. I can type much faster(very important to me)
    -I think the Bold has a much sharper look/appearance
    -3G When not on wifi, 3G seems to be a little quicker on browsing
    -Have Cellular video on the Bold if on At&t where the At&t 8900 doesnt(from what I was told)
    -I have a stronger 3G signal on the Bold and a weaker EDGE signal on the 8900

Right now, I still like the Bold just a bit more but not by much. It is very close! Either way, they are both excellent devices and you cant go wrong with either. I probably will update my post as I think of others.

And please... keep this positive. No bashing either device because you are with one carrier or the other.

**update** added a few things
    Last edited by Garz; 06-06-09 at 01:01 PM. Reason: updated info
    02-12-09 12:51 AM
    Garz, 125mb of free app space???? :-O. My goodness that's a ton of memory.

The 8900 keypad, it's pretty similar to the original 8300's correct?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 01:35 AM
    I'm gonna agree with ya Garz. I really like the 8900 for its size and weight. The browser seems to be quick also. One thing however I don't like on the 8900 is the placement of the charging port. It really gets in the way. As far as the bold goes..well we all know how great it is. Will post more as I play with the 8900 more

02-12-09 01:37 AM
    I really need to play with an 8900 soon. This makes me wanna check one out now.

02-12-09 01:38 AM
    I really need to play with an 8900 soon. This makes me wanna check one out now.

Its a wonderful phone

02-12-09 01:53 AM
    Is the keyboard as loud as it is on the original Curve? The quieter keyboard is one of the reasons I like the Bold.
    02-12-09 02:14 AM
    I was eyeing up the 8900 the other day, makes my bold look bloated. Not sure I could lose 3g + the screen though, plus my hands fit the bold well and the 8900 could be harder to use on the keyboard for me. If I was choosing between the 2 of them it would be hard!

02-12-09 06:18 AM
    Is the keyboard as loud as it is on the original Curve? The quieter keyboard is one of the reasons I like the Bold.
    yea the keyboard is still clicky
    02-12-09 07:04 AM
    yea the keyboard is still clicky
    Yes it is and very annoying. Surprised RIM didnt really redesign a whole new keypad.

I also noticed today the volume on the media player is better on the Bold than it is on the 8900.
    02-12-09 01:15 PM
    Used both.. liked both... but prefer the Bold
    02-12-09 03:14 PM
    Garz good review. I have done a comparison thread of my own (there is a link in my signature for anyone that wants to read through it) and I can pretty much agree with what you are saying. It is a very fair comparison of the two devices.

I went with the 8900 because 3G does not matter at all to me and I much prefer the smaller size so that I can type one-handed. I also agree with greg24, the charging port location is annoying. I'm so glad I purchased a charging cradle so I only have to use it for updating my OS!
    02-12-09 04:30 PM
    Garz good review. I have done a comparison thread of my own (there is a link in my signature for anyone that wants to read through it) and I can pretty much agree with what you are saying. It is a very fair comparison of the two devices.

I went with the 8900 because 3G does not matter at all to me and I much prefer the smaller size so that I can type one-handed. I also agree with greg24, the charging port location is annoying. I'm so glad I purchased a charging cradle so I only have to use it for updating my OS!
    I agree about the charging port. Dont like that they moved that. Same with the 3.5 mm port as they move that too.

I can see how some will favor either the 8900 or the 9000. They are both great devices. Just really depends on what your preferences are.
    02-12-09 06:25 PM
    Ya, so I have both, and the Curve 8900 really takes the bold on a run for it's money, but I prefer the Bold.

I like about the Bold: The battery life, the full thickness, the wider keyboard and screen, the mini USB, the faster processor, and last but not least - the 3G.
    02-24-09 03:16 AM
    .143 mb for me on my 8900.

I agree except with the kb. I am actually going back and forth which one is better. Now I'm seeing it's the moods.

The reason the Bold edges out the 8900 IMO is the UMTS 3g. Everyone assumes it is for browsing, but it is also for applications; they run a lot smoother/faster when on 3g. Pics load up faster and while I'm doing all this, I can be making/receiving calls simultaneously.
    02-28-09 01:13 PM
    Since I did this review, the Jav has been returned. The Bold is the device thats best for me. They are both great devices. I cannot down talk either one. Just a matter of his/her own preferences.
    02-28-09 01:16 PM
    Bold rules! At least for me : )
    03-06-09 01:53 PM
    for me 8900 seems better coz of it's size, screen resolution & free app memory available (a big thing for me).

the only +ve Bold has over 8900 is 3G (I am not using it anyways, but for someone who has this option available & does use it, 3G will be a big consideration).

Think I am gonna go from Bold to 8900 in a few days time.

Question for users using Both 9000 & 8900 :
    Which phone is faster in terms of navigating through the menu, working with applications & browsing over wifi ?
    03-07-09 04:12 AM
    I agree with the assessment by Garz and also on the comments from others about the charging port. I still favor my Bold over the 8900. Some other things I like better on the 8900 though:

The soft keys as I really like the lock key and the ease in getting it in and out of my pockets
    Last edited by bgwavrder; 03-07-09 at 05:10 AM. Reason: wasn't done
    03-07-09 05:05 AM
    i have both and i like to alternate between them each week.
    03-07-09 10:15 AM
    i have used both, and i like the 8900 way better then the bold... i like the bold bigger screen but the 8900 is the best for everything else
    03-07-09 11:00 AM
    I've always wanted the bold, but seeing as how the jav has much more onboard memory (lots of apps) I'm reconsidering. Many impressive applications can be loaded onto a jav ultimately making it more appealing than the bold to me. I know the screen is smaller than the bold's, but the better screen resolution more than makes up for it.

03-08-09 04:29 AM
    I haven't spent a ton of time on a jav but it felt like going back to the curve for me. I love the keys and screen on the Bold and think it would be tough at this point to lose the 3G. Especially in my neighborhood. My service has dramatically improved since getting a 3G phone. I do lust after the extra memory though. What are the odds of one day being able to upgrade the hardware on a BB?

03-08-09 05:26 AM
    the more I read posts comparing 8900 & 9000, the more confused I get. Thinking in terms of buying a 8900 outright without selling my 9000. lol...
    03-08-09 06:20 AM
    Since I did this review, the Jav has been returned. The Bold is the device thats best for me. They are both great devices. I cannot down talk either one. Just a matter of his/her own preferences.
    What was the last straw on your decision Garz?

03-08-09 07:39 AM
    **update** once again, I got a 8900. It s T-Mo branded but unlocked to use on At&t. I still prefer the Bold but its just the addiction of BB that has me back to owning both.
    03-31-09 07:41 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD