I am just a year and a half into having a blackberry. I just upgraded to the bold about 2 weeks ago and I love it!

I have personalized all of my ring tones on the profiles and always keep my phone to loud (or vibrate in which case the tones don't matter).

Today, my phone just started making a random noise at me, something that I had no set for any notifications. I checked every application on my phone, and I hadn't recieved anything so I was unsure of what had caused this notification. I then went into the loud profile settings and checked all of the notification profiles. I then came upon a notification setting listed as 'Level 1' and sure enough, the tone my phone was making was the tone set for Level 1. I called through to tech support (I'm on the rogers network) and he was completeley useless! The tech just made me switch my email tones on the normal profile. It didn't need changing, I just wanted to know what a Level 1 is and why my device was randomly making a Level 1 notification sound.

Can anyone help? haha THANK YOU
    07-29-09 02:21 PM
    Pin message
    07-29-09 03:04 PM
    what is a Pin message? Text? email?
    07-29-09 03:09 PM
    It's like a text but it would be sent via your PIN.
    07-29-09 03:26 PM
    Set up more like email - inside your messaged folder - but sent from PIN to PIN (blackberry to blackberry). It's one of my favourite blackberry things and by far my favourite way to send messages. To other bb owners, of course.

And they come into - and go out of - your messages folder in RED.
    07-29-09 05:13 PM
    Thanks! I learn something new everyday here
    07-29-09 05:15 PM
    Try sending one to a bb friend - get them to send you their PIN, and then when you go to send an email, choose "compose PIN" instead and put their PIN as the address. Check it out.

Best, of course, to have everyone's PIN in your address book. Quickest that way.
    07-29-09 05:17 PM
    What is beneficial about the PIN message opposed to text or email? I can't find a reason to use it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-29-09 07:07 PM
    For me, I only give my PIN to close friends, so I use PIN messages as a personal kind of communication. When one comes in - and my LED flashes blue, thanks to BerryBuzz - I know it is a personal contact. And because the message is so easy to see in the inbox, it's also easy to differentiate from work or casual contacts.

I think it's all in the way you use your berry - how you use different features and how you set up your life. My PIN life is totally separate and different from my email or text life, since everyone has my phone number and email address.
    07-29-09 07:29 PM
    Email and text go out into the 'wild' whilst a PIN goes through Blackberry infrastructure so it is much safer. If I remember correctly, a PIN msg is encrypted end to end.
    07-29-09 07:49 PM
    Actually, I don't think a PIN message is all that secure. If you are on BES, your company can access your PIN messages if they decide to go looking. And if you are with BIS, I think PINS are actually only "regularly" encrypted, if that makes sense.

Here is a bit of info - recently, in Canada, PIN messages have been retrieved by companies if they feel their employees are sending sensitive info that way, and also can be retrieved by those who know how if just on BIS:

"PIN-to-PIN transmission security: PIN-to-PIN is not suitable for exchanging sensitive messages. Although PIN-to-PIN messages are encrypted using Triple-DES, the key used is a global cryptographic “key” that is common to every BlackBerry device all over the world. This means any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device, if the messages can be intercepted and the destination PIN spoofed. Further, unfriendly third parties who know the key could potentially use it to decrypt messages captured over the air."

Security is not an issue for me, though. But if you are on BES and selling company secrets, trouble looms.
    07-29-09 08:08 PM
    ^^ After posting this, I am thinking: does anybody really care? lol

It's just that I remembered some case involving a Canadian bank and retrieving employees' PIN messages.
    07-29-09 08:10 PM
    Advantage of PIN messages for me is that I don't have to give out my phone number for direct messaging (like you would have to for SMS). Probably one of the reasons it's popular to share PINs on sites like CB. I still personally limit who I give my pin to, but not nearly as much as I do for my phone number.

07-29-09 08:53 PM
    When using PIN if you are out of country you will get your message at no cost to you as BB messanger is free no matter where you are in the world. I hope I am not wrong about this as this is what I have been told.
    07-30-09 12:44 AM
    PIN messaging (as I understand it) uses data and not SMS, so if you have a data plan while out of the country, it is included in that. Also, when sending PIN messages to those operating with non-domestic phone numbers, you shouldn't get charged for overseas messages. Again, as I understand it. Haven't tried, personally.

07-30-09 07:40 AM
    Actually, I don't think a PIN message is all that secure. If you are on BES, your company can access your PIN messages if they decide to go looking. And if you are with BIS, I think PINS are actually only "regularly" encrypted, if that makes sense.

Here is a bit of info - recently, in Canada, PIN messages have been retrieved by companies if they feel their employees are sending sensitive info that way, and also can be retrieved by those who know how if just on BIS:

"PIN-to-PIN transmission security: PIN-to-PIN is not suitable for exchanging sensitive messages. Although PIN-to-PIN messages are encrypted using Triple-DES, the key used is a global cryptographic key that is common to every BlackBerry device all over the world. This means any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device, if the messages can be intercepted and the destination PIN spoofed. Further, unfriendly third parties who know the key could potentially use it to decrypt messages captured over the air."

Security is not an issue for me, though. But if you are on BES and selling company secrets, trouble looms.
    WOW, I guess I'll stop asking my gf whats for dinner via pin messages
    07-30-09 08:50 AM

"PIN-to-PIN transmission security: PIN-to-PIN is not suitable for exchanging sensitive messages. Although PIN-to-PIN messages are encrypted using Triple-DES, the key used is a global cryptographic key that is common to every BlackBerry device all over the world. This means any BlackBerry device can potentially decrypt all PIN-to-PIN messages sent by any other BlackBerry device, if the messages can be intercepted and the destination PIN spoofed. Further, unfriendly third parties who know the key could potentially use it to decrypt messages captured over the air."

Good thing I'm not on BES
    07-30-09 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD