Hello everyone.. my name is Louis and i'm a blackberry addict :P

in all honesty i've been in denial for so long using windows mobile based phones, but i just bought a blackberry bold and i'm wondering what took me so long!

well.. my joy was short lived when the left shift key fell off 3 days after i bought the phone.

i noticed a couple times that if i'm not especially careful while holstering the phone, i'd hear a click from the edge of the holster against the bottom row of keys, but didn't think much of it.

well i guess i should have..

not sure when or where the button fell off, i just noticed it all of a sudden!

i don't feel like sending my brand new phone to a service center to get the whole keyboard changed now.. so i'm thinking, does anyone sell those button caps?

these are basically pushed on and they clip.

any ideas would be appreciated .. thanks!
    03-12-09 04:46 PM
    well if you just got the phone only a few days ago, you could go to the AT&T store you bought the phone from, with the original receipt, and just tell them it fell off, and they should replace your Bold with a new one. of course, as long as there's no physical damage. as for replacing it, you could. cnn.cn sells Bold keyboards. but since it's new, i would try going to AT&T with the receipt first and see if they'll exchange it.
    03-12-09 04:55 PM
    Warranty, before your (30 day?) return period expires. They should exchange it (no questions) for a brand new one.
    03-12-09 06:20 PM
    Try cnn.cn maybe?
    03-12-09 06:47 PM
    Warranty doesn't cover physical damage, and I would guess this would be categorized as physical damage. I would try the store and if no luck order a new one from cnn. If you send a device to warranty with physical damage they will charge you for the replacement.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 07:28 PM
    There is a 30 day after purchase exchange window with no questions asked, mainly because that is the return window. There is no reason that key should have fallen off, plain and simple. He should be able to take it back, tell them it just fell off and get a replacement because it was most likely a shotty assembly.

Chris
    03-12-09 07:34 PM
    I would try the store and work the defect angle. ATT will try to work with you most of the time.
    03-12-09 07:35 PM
    Hello everyone.. my name is Louis and i'm a blackberry addict :P
    any ideas would be appreciated .. thanks!
    Louis, your profile says you are using Etisalat, are you in the UAE?

Before anything, visit the local office of your provider and ask their opinion. (The US providers can not help you over there.)
    03-12-09 08:21 PM
    well if you just got the phone only a few days ago, you could go to the AT&T store you bought the phone from, with the original receipt, and just tell them it fell off, and they should replace your Bold with a new one. of course, as long as there's no physical damage. as for replacing it, you could. cnn.cn sells Bold keyboards. but since it's new, i would try going to AT&T with the receipt first and see if they'll exchange it.
    AT&T has a bad habit of trying to get customers to replace new purchases with refurb units. My trackball quit after a couple of weeks and they tried to get me to accept a refurb as a replacement. I told them they could stick it and I just disassembled it and replaced it myself. The Bold is really easy to disassemble and reassemble.
    03-12-09 08:55 PM
    AT&T has a bad habit of trying to get customers to replace new purchases with refurb units. My trackball quit after a couple of weeks and they tried to get me to accept a refurb as a replacement. I told them they could stick it and I just disassembled it and replaced it myself. The Bold is really easy to disassemble and reassemble.
    Well, I would have to stand my ground if such a thing happened to me. Not my idea of fun.
    03-12-09 09:00 PM
    shift happens =/
    03-12-09 10:54 PM
    Well, I would have to stand my ground if such a thing happened to me. Not my idea of fun.
    No doubt, I'd take it straight back and insist on a new one! These things cost way too much to accept anything less. The moment you open the case yourself, you've voided your warranty.

Bryan
    03-13-09 04:22 AM
    Last night I looked at my Bold and the P key was missing and nowhere to be found. Since it's less than a month old, I called AT&T; they said there are "no reported issues" so it's my fault/responsibility. It looks to me like the keys are held on by glue, and I expect this will be a common problem, but how do we get AT&T to recognize it? They charged me $359 for the bold (that was their upgrade price) so now I'm stuck to another 2 years without a working phone.
    08-06-09 01:30 PM
    I'd take it in to get fixed.

It's an easy fix to do yourself, but no point in voiding the warranty for something so trivial.

Once again, hating refurbs just because you paid for a "new" one doesn't make sense.
    Take your new phone, you opened it, now it's the same status as a "refurb"... except that one of their workers checked the refurb phone out for defects and issues.
    08-06-09 01:37 PM
    Last night I looked at my Bold and the P key was missing and nowhere to be found. Since it's less than a month old, I called AT&T; they said there are "no reported issues" so it's my fault/responsibility. It looks to me like the keys are held on by glue, and I expect this will be a common problem, but how do we get AT&T to recognize it? They charged me $359 for the bold (that was their upgrade price) so now I'm stuck to another 2 years without a working phone.
    This is unacceptable, I would call or visit a different rep.
    08-06-09 02:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD