I replaced my HTC Touch Pro last week after 16 months of use. My issues were low speaker volume, windows software issues, the shortest battery life of any phone on the market, camera stop working 6 weeks ago and then the final straw was the sliding Qwerty keyboard giving out. So, I started shopping for a new phone with great reviews, decent battery life and no moving parts. Three days later the Bold 9650 was in my hands being activated.

I like the 9650 a lot with the bonus of a nice speaker. I was on it yesterday with a buddy sat it down in the bedroom walked to the bathroom and back hearing him ramble the entire time. Simply not possible with the Pro.

My only issue presently with the 9650 is the annoying button on the left side which activates the voice dialing feature. I'm not saying it is not a nice item to have but every one in ten pick ups I have touched that button unintentionally.

I want to reassign it do nothing or turn the back light on. Any ideas?

Locomark
    06-24-10 09:18 AM
    Options > Screen/keyboard > Left side cov key set to nothing.

Edit: nothing and VAD aren't the only options, there are a ton of choices.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by plkcable; 06-24-10 at 10:02 AM.
    06-24-10 09:52 AM
    Like pk said. You can set it to just about anything you want. I have mine set to Capture It.
    06-24-10 10:33 AM
    Right side: QL
    Left side: video for the quick LIGHT
    06-24-10 12:28 PM
    I have mine set to Capture It
    06-24-10 12:42 PM
    I have mine set to QL, AND Stay Lit AND Screen Capture AND Video Camera
    06-24-10 01:04 PM
    I have mine set to QL, AND Stay Lit AND Screen Capture AND Video Camera
    ROFL, that's it? You're barely tapping it's full potential!
    06-24-10 01:29 PM
    Hard to tell but are you being sarcastic? I think its pretty maxed with 4 multiclicks lol!
    06-24-10 01:51 PM
    Ok, after I read that you have four apps set for one button, I went and set mine for three apps. But I am having a hard time getting the button to cooperate. LOL.

Can you give me pointers on how to actually USE the double and triple click ability of the convenience button? I'm serious. I seem to be pushing too hard on it...
    06-24-10 03:32 PM
    Hmm... Not sure why you're having problems... You kinda have to press it quickly. Like say for example, you wanna launch the 3rd app, you really need to "click-click-click" rapidly. Don't wait for the quicklaunch to launch, just press them quickly.

Having this feature RULES. So much faster, and having stay lit as a second button is huge for me!
    06-24-10 03:46 PM
    Hmm... Not sure why you're having problems... You kinda have to press it quickly. Like say for example, you wanna launch the 3rd app, you really need to "click-click-click" rapidly. Don't wait for the quicklaunch to launch, just press them quickly.

Having this feature RULES. So much faster, and having stay lit as a second button is huge for me!
    OMG! I always wondered why I couldn't get this feature to ever seem to work...is there a guide on QL??? *prepares to search*

06-24-10 04:02 PM
    In QL you can set this feature to make the convenience keys do up to 4 different things on the click, double click, triple click, fourth click...but i gotta practice how to activate them!

I feel like such a noob!

PS IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you PI GUY!!!!!!!
    Yay!!!!!!!

06-24-10 04:11 PM
    Pardon my ignorance, but what is "QL" and "capture it"?

06-24-10 04:56 PM
    QL is Quick Launch, an app that is fantastic if you've never seen it! It allows you to set a menu of shortcuts that are accessible from a convenience key instead of using the icons on your home screen and so much more. It also allows you to use those side keys like we've been discussing three and four times each to open different apps!

CaptureIt is a screen capture program that integrates itself to your menu button which means it shows up when you press the bb button. Of course, if you have QL, it has its own screen capture module and you don't actually need CaptureIt.
    06-24-10 05:04 PM
    Does QL allow you to set "keyboard lock" as an option for the convenience keys? It looks like keyboard lock is not currently an option for the convenience keys unless you use a password. Thx.
    06-24-10 09:03 PM
    So quicklaunch is a $5 app... is that the one? Man, sure seems steep for a one trick pony.... but it sounds brilliant, too!
    06-24-10 09:14 PM
    Ah... I just went to the quicklaunch web site, it appears to be more than a "one trick pony"!
    06-24-10 09:26 PM
    I do not believe so. I see a lock device, but it works just like the lock button.

Does QL allow you to set "keyboard lock" as an option for the convenience keys? It looks like keyboard lock is not currently an option for the convenience keys unless you use a password. Thx.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    06-24-10 09:31 PM
    The right convenience key, for me, isn't real nice. It has a crunchy sort of click... it doesn't have that nice detent "click" like the left key.

I'm just trying to get the hang of quicklaunch now... just downloaded it.

Trying to click the mushy key 3 or 4 times ... it just doesn't have a nice positive feel.

I do like hitting the space bar to launch the little menu, though.
    06-25-10 05:29 PM
    QL is a great app, bought it for my Tour not knowing a thing about it. Couldn't imagine a BB without it now. Just needs to be updated so the BT toggle works again!
    06-25-10 05:42 PM
    The right convenience key, for me, isn't real nice. It has a crunchy sort of click... it doesn't have that nice detent "click" like the left key.

I'm just trying to get the hang of quicklaunch now... just downloaded it.

Trying to click the mushy key 3 or 4 times ... it just doesn't have a nice positive feel.

I do like hitting the space bar to launch the little menu, though.
    The right convenience key is definitely an acquired skill! It took me a bit of practice to learn to master it. Once you do, you"ll wonder how you got along without it. And as far as QL goes, there's no owning a BB without QL!
    06-25-10 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD