I'm leaving for Sweden next week and my carrier told me they're gonna charge me 2 euro's (about $3) per Mb for data use when roaming in Sweden .

I won't be anywhere near wifi hotspots, so no solution there.

All this of course is pretty sickening 'cause it means I won't be able to regularly browse the internet for info during my trip, check my email or chat with friends without ending up broke.

Worst of all, it means my 90 dollar Garmin navigation software is completely useless, since that too relies on a data network.

The idea of leaving home without my Bold makes me sick, but really, is there any point in bringing the thing along?
    I'd just be running the risk of losing or damaging it... I'm considering using my old SE k800i instead...

What would you do?
    Last edited by savadepa; 07-21-09 at 10:19 AM.
    07-21-09 10:15 AM
    Personally I love my Bold, But if I'm going on Vacation I would leave it home. It's a vacation. I like to disconnect when going to relax . If it's for business related trip then I would bring it for sure.
    Last edited by TheBBman; 07-21-09 at 10:34 AM.
    07-21-09 10:21 AM
    I'd take it with me. Load a couple of eBooks to read on the plane, use Viigo or FreeRange RSS to catch up on some offline RSS stories. Snap a couple of photos. Do some journaling in memo and/or Evernote (you can sync when you get home). And who knows, you might bump into the occasional wifi hotspot and be able to read some current news!
    07-21-09 10:29 AM
    I would leave it home.
    I'd take it with me.
    lol. yeh, thanks
    07-21-09 11:00 AM
    Going through the same thing at the moment.

One further question though - the guy in my local Orange store told me that Wifi hotspots still counted as data and would still be charged. Is that right?

I'm seriously thinking of leaving it at home.
    07-21-09 11:05 AM
    the guy in my local Orange store told me that Wifi hotspots still counted as data and would still be charged. Is that right?
    The guy in your local Orange store doesn't know what he's talking about. You won't get charged for using wifi.
    07-21-09 11:11 AM
    Lolll getting charged using wifi. Ha! Personally I would I would take my bold with me but keeping the data services off.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 11:15 AM
    Lolll getting charged using wifi. Ha! Personally I would I would take my bold with me but keeping the data services off.

Yup turn of data when roaming and you will be fine keep the wi-fi on and hope you find some hotspots.
    07-21-09 11:20 AM
    Is it unlocked?
    If so, can't you just get a prepaid sim card for it?
    07-21-09 11:28 AM
    Is it unlocked?
    If so, can't you just get a prepaid sim card for it?
    yeh it's unlocked... but a prepaid sim with dataplan? Is that supposed to be available?
    Even if so, I'd still have to swap simcards all the time 'cause I wouldn't be able to receive texts and calls on this prepaid card since it'd be a different phonenumber.
    07-21-09 11:36 AM
    yeh it's unlocked... but a prepaid sim with dataplan? Is that supposed to be available?
    Even if so, I'd still have to swap simcards all the time 'cause I wouldn't be able to receive texts and calls on this prepaid card since it'd be a different phonenumber.
    Hmm, actually maybe I'm missing something - I don't know much about the unlocking-and-prepaid-sims-and-whatnot area...I'll be in your same boat come early December when I leave to go abroad for about a month.

However, International SIM Cards from GOSIM� - cheap mobile calls from abroad might be able to help you out??
    I think I remember reading somewhere in there that they give you a US phone number to give to your friends & family that automatically connects to the prepaid sim card's number, or...something like that..sorry, I don't really know what I'm talking about here. But go there and read around the site.

I think you can still get texts and receive calls/make calls on your phone with the new sim card.
    07-21-09 11:50 AM
    Thanks, I checked. Using this service would cost me even more: �3,80 per MB....
    07-21-09 11:56 AM
    Thanks, I checked. Using this service would cost me even more: �3,80 per MB....
    Then forget about that, haha. sorry
    07-21-09 12:08 PM
    I took it to Dominican Republic booya! and put it in the safe lock of course
    07-21-09 12:10 PM
    Then forget about that, haha. sorry
    No worries. I'll probably just go for my old SE and my HP mini notebook...
    07-21-09 12:12 PM
    To me: Vacation = NO BOLD or phone of ANY KIND.

Bon Voyage...
    07-21-09 12:12 PM
    no international data plan on you carrier?

I wouldnt actually leave without a cell phone, if an emergency happens i would love to see you around asking for a damn cellphone or running to the next telephone booth then looking for coins. If you dont want to be bothered, just put it in silence or get a prepaid sim card if any swedish carrier allows prepaid sim cards with data plan, so no home country calls reach you x). The last place i went with my bold was venezuela and even there they had blackberry data plans for prepaid lines.
    Last edited by gbsn; 07-21-09 at 12:23 PM.
    07-21-09 12:20 PM
    no international data plan on you carrier?

I wouldnt actually leave without a cell phone, if an emergency happens i would love to see you around asking for a damn cellphone or running to the next telephone booth then looking for coins. If you dont want to be bothered, just put it in silence or get a prepaid sim card if any swedish carrier allows prepaid sim cards with data plan, so no home country calls reach you x). The last place i went with my bold was venezuela and even there they had blackberry data plans for prepaid lines.
    I'd obviously never go anywhere without a phone, ever
    Question is, should it be my Bold...

07-21-09 01:06 PM
    so vodafone doesnt have international data plans?
    07-21-09 01:18 PM
    i'd leave my BB. would you really relax if you kept checkng it??
    07-21-09 01:23 PM
    i'd leave my BB. would you really relax if you kept checkng it??
    I'm wondering if I'd relax if I couldn't...
    07-21-09 01:40 PM
    Take it with you for calls & WiFi access on occasion. Many restaurants now have WiFi. Even some fast food ones.

Turn off Data while roaming: OPTIONS>MOBILE NETOWRK. Data Services at the very top. Change it to "OFF WHEN ROAMING". Email will stop, internet will not work without WiFi.

It will save you €3 per MB and you still have the Bold with you for calls.
    07-21-09 08:41 PM
    Keyword: Vacation

The question to this thread cannot be serious...
    07-21-09 08:42 PM
    Leave the phone broski; your going on vacation.
    07-21-09 08:45 PM
    Ha ya. Leave your bb. I once took my sprint 8703e to puerto vallarta and tethered on my notebook. Not good. Lol.

07-21-09 11:53 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD