I was looking forward to a new BB but BB takes too long to bring out their new phones...and no flash support.

I have to say that i came back to BB because of battery life and the way contacts and emails are handled but have come to realize that all that, for me, doesn't outweigh all the things you can do on Android.

Sorry BB...
    06-23-11 06:43 AM
    Carrier testing is about to wrap up here in Canada with Rogers, Bell, and Telus. Within 3 weeks we should hear a potential release date for Canada. Bell and Telus share the same GSM network (their network only has 3G and is somewhat limited, so testing can proceed at a faster rate then Rogers, which has a 2G backbone that covers virtually most of the Canadian population) What does that mean for the other smaller carriers? Virgin is run by Bell, and Virgin was the first to announce they would be carrying the 9900. Does that mean Virgin/Bell will receive it first? Highly unlikely. Rogers and RIM have a tight relationship and Rogers will most likely be the first carrier to carry it, and the way it looks.. hopefully within a month it should be out in consumers' hands.

Also to note, when Rogers announces they will be carrying a device, it's usually out to market within a couple weeks.
    Last edited by raji.t; 06-24-11 at 07:53 AM.
    AbuYazeedUK likes this.
    06-23-11 07:35 AM
    Carrier testing is about to wrap up here in Canada with Rogers, Bell, and Telus. Within 3 weeks we should hear a potential release date for Canada. Bell and Telus share the same GSM network (their network only has 3G and is somewhat limited, so testing can proceed at a faster rate then Rogers, which has a 2G backbone that covers virtually most of the Canadian population) What does that mean for the other smaller carriers? Virgin is run by Bell, and Virgin was the first to announce they would be carrying the 9900. Does that mean Virgin/Bell will receive it first? Highly unlikely. Rogers and RIM have a tight relationship and Rogers will most likely be the first carrier to carry it, and the way it looks.. within a month it should be out in consumers' hands.

Also to note, when Rogers announces they will be carrying a device, it's usually out to market within a couple weeks.

Hi,

Just curious, Where are you getting this information from?
    06-23-11 08:49 AM
    Just wanted to give you some info on my end. I am bound by an NDA so I can't devulge any details. But we are doing some work on the 2 new devices with a launch date of what we are working on for September. We want to be to market when the devices show up and there is lots of Support we are getting from RIM with this. I know that the development is having some issues right now but no one is throwing their hands at delays. But the issues are around the NFC part of the device and it looks like RIM is using a proprietery piece of Tech that locks us in to development on that device only and not the more open standards that are out there. I'm putting my money on late August. And yes we have the device in our labs under lock and key. I know I will be getting one. Especialy if what we are working on get launched.
    Last edited by Actionjax; 06-23-11 at 10:51 AM.
    06-23-11 10:44 AM
    I was looking forward to a new BB but BB takes too long to bring out their new phones...and no flash support.

I have to say that i came back to BB because of battery life and the way contacts and emails are handled but have come to realize that all that, for me, doesn't outweigh all the things you can do on Android.

Sorry BB...
    I've got a Curve 8330 since 2009 from Sprint and my contract just expired on June 07th, so I can go to whomever...but I wanna stay with Sprint and their cheaper rates. There has been major rumors Sprint getting the iphone 5 in September and I'm gonna wait until (or if?) Sprint get's the iphone 5 and compare the Bold 9930 to iphone 5 and THEN make my choice...but I'm really disappointed in RIM that they just assumed we'd take an 800 MHz Rather than current 1-1.2 Ghz processor speed devices.
    06-23-11 10:55 AM
    I've got a Curve 8330 since 2009 from Sprint and my contract just expired on June 07th, so I can go to whomever...but I wanna stay with Sprint and their cheaper rates. There has been major rumors Sprint getting the iphone 5 in September and I'm gonna wait until (or if?) Sprint get's the iphone 5 and compare the Bold 9930 to iphone 5 and THEN make my choice...but I'm really disappointed in RIM that they just assumed we'd take an 800 MHz Rather than current 1-1.2 Ghz processor speed devices.
    In my opinion, the battery life of iPhone4 is not so good compared to Blackberry. However, the apps available for iPhone4 and in the future iPhone5 will far exceed what BB App World has.... also in University of Calgary, new in class question system only can push info to a laptop or to ANY smartphone BUT Blackberry. That is a big NO for me and I think I am also moving on to the iPhone5.

Sorry that BB is a useless for SOME users like me and I wish RIMM all the best.
    06-23-11 11:36 AM
    Just wanted to give you some info on my end. I am bound by an NDA so I can't devulge any details. But we are doing some work on the 2 new devices with a launch date of what we are working on for September. We want to be to market when the devices show up and there is lots of Support we are getting from RIM with this. I know that the development is having some issues right now but no one is throwing their hands at delays. But the issues are around the NFC part of the device and it looks like RIM is using a proprietery piece of Tech that locks us in to development on that device only and not the more open standards that are out there. I'm putting my money on late August. And yes we have the device in our labs under lock and key. I know I will be getting one. Especialy if what we are working on get launched.
    So the technology that RIM is using in their phones, potentially holds down the carrier to just that tech? Or the only NFC enabled phones you can use are going to just be Blackberries? I'm a little confused about that.
    06-23-11 12:23 PM
    In my opinion, the battery life of iPhone4 is not so good compared to Blackberry. However, the apps available for iPhone4 and in the future iPhone5 will far exceed what BB App World has.... also in University of Calgary, new in class question system only can push info to a laptop or to ANY smartphone BUT Blackberry. That is a big NO for me and I think I am also moving on to the iPhone5.

Sorry that BB is a useless for SOME users like me and I wish RIMM all the best.
    From what I've read online, the iphone 5's battery will be much better than iphone 4...curved glass, ipad2 thiness and complete upgrade from iphone 4...and again, IF? Apple releases it on all 4 carriers, the Bold 9900/9930 now matter how loyal to RIM you are will have to admit it will be like a tidal wave over a sand dune.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-23-11 01:09 PM
    lol...oh, RIM, why cant you get your S**t straight.....i am a loyal BB dude, but I think i may switch to the Iphone.
    06-23-11 02:09 PM
    lol...oh, RIM, why cant you get your S**t straight.....i am a loyal BB dude, but I think i may switch to the Iphone.
    The iphone is for those who like to drink the coolaid....
    ...That said the iphone is ONLY a threat to RIM due to it's APPS.
    ...And RIM's disgusting lack thereof.

I'm the internal mobile phone admin for a fairly large company and as such....
    ...Have set up many iphones, droids and blackberry's.
    ...The majority of people who were previously on the BB's have left.
    ...Explicitly due to the lack of APP support from BB.

Illustration: Can anyone on a Bold with any carrier yet take a picture of their payroll check and deposit it via their phone? Can anyone use AAX on any BB device with any carrier to scan the VIN plate on a vehicle and pull current auction prices?

It's things like these that have eaten the literal life out of die hard BB users...
    ...For Business minded people the primary use of a smart phone is to make their life easier.
    ...And devices like the iphone and Droid wasted no time in getting this figured out.

We can only hope RIM quickly starts to nulify this massive advantage both the Droid and iphone have been beating RIM to death with.

I've got no doubt that with as solid of a company RIM is - they can pull out of the trend they find themselves in currently....
    ...I think the BBB Touch is the first large step in this direction.

After a device with a valid browser is brough to the table it will be all about the APPS....
    ...We shall all see what happens.

In any event consumers will not be able to purchase a Touch Bold until November of this year.
    06-23-11 04:00 PM
    In any event consumers will not be able to purchase a Touch Bold until November of this year.
    In your part of the world maybe...

AbuYazeedUK and johnmarki like this.
    06-23-11 04:42 PM
    So the technology that RIM is using in their phones, potentially holds down the carrier to just that tech? Or the only NFC enabled phones you can use are going to just be Blackberries? I'm a little confused about that.
    The piece we are developing is the NFC part of things. The way that RIM is implimenting requires us to bounce through their network (and at a price per swipe). This is not how NFC is being implimented in Europe on other devices out there from what i am understanding. Also this makes development locked to the RIM platform. So it can't port over to other devices with NFC like if the iphone 5 comes out with it or Android products.

Yesterdays update is we are delayed and at a stalemate with this so we are looking now at a September Trial date and October public launch. But based on the tech difficulties we may scrap the project and develop this for another manufaturer.

RIM was very hopefull that this would be developed as part of the launch of the new devices. But as it sits unless they loosen up on the way they want to handle this it's not going to happen.
    06-24-11 07:10 AM
    Hi,

Just curious, Where are you getting this information from?
    From somewhere
    It's safe to say in Canada, most new "technological innovations" are tested in Ottawa. For example, Rogers is rolling out REAL LTE in Ottawa first. I believe also that Bell/Telus introduced their GSM networks first in Ottawa, and subsequently rolled it out nationwide.
    NFC payment solutions have also been popping out all over the place here, even on vending machines! I read yesterday someone mentioning something regarding Rogers having exclusivity on NFC technology or something like that, and that the "delay" is as a result of this. I wouldn't go as far to say that this is the delay, as many have eventually realized and as RIM pointed out last week, the software has some kinks but the light at the end of the tunnel is very close.
    But then again, why would carriers be testing it.. ya know?
    Last edited by raji.t; 06-24-11 at 07:59 AM.
    06-24-11 07:54 AM
    Where do you get that the 9930 has an 800ghz processor? I looked at the specs and it says 1.2ghz.
    06-24-11 08:04 AM
    I think he is referring to the original specs that blackberry WAS going to release. They then changed it up and went with the 1.2 and hence the delays.... Once they went with the faster processor they had to re-write code and delayed the whole thing instead of starting off with the 1.2 from the beginning......
    06-24-11 08:19 AM
    Ah since he just posted yesterday I guess he hasn't looked for awhile.
    06-24-11 08:26 AM
    Yup.

That 9790 which was leaked a few weeks ago was what RIM was going with until they decided to scrap it and go with the much more powerful 9900. The 9790 had that 800Mhz processor, and although it had NFC and whatever the 9900 had, it was a streamlined version as a result of lower specs.
    06-24-11 08:39 AM
    Where do you get that the 9930 has an 800ghz processor? I looked at the specs and it says 1.2ghz.
    RIM CEO himself said thier original plan was to release a device like a upgraded 9780 with 800 Mhz processor BUT since the US smartphone market was so competitive, they had to retool and create a device that could compete. and again...they don't have TV's in Waterloo, ONT? last June Sprint releases Evo 4G with 1 Ghz processor, over a YEAR ago...and then they b**ch and moan they had to give the US a better product. Gee, thanks RIM. cheap ba****s
    maevinj and LikeWebOS like this.
    06-24-11 10:30 AM
    As someone posted eariler in another thread, the Blackberry Facebook Page has now listed the Blackberry Bold Touch as coming soon. However, is 2 months from now soon? Maybe i am just being optimistic, but i am still wishing for a July release.
    06-24-11 11:06 AM
    As someone posted eariler in another thread, the Blackberry Facebook Page has now listed the Blackberry Bold Touch as coming soon. However, is 2 months from now soon? Maybe i am just being optimistic, but i am still wishing for a July release.
    RIM said "this summer". We all know summer season. After September 23rd, it will be late.
    06-24-11 11:39 AM
    I guess after all those posts there's a sign that it is comimg soon?

07-10-11 10:11 AM
    I'll be excited when I see the 9900 show up in our internal system (I work at Rogers).. devices usually show up a couple weeks before release. We're hoping our close relationship with RIM comes through and we're once again the first to release it!
    07-11-11 07:37 PM
    I'll be excited when I see the 9900 show up in our internal system (I work at Rogers).. devices usually show up a couple weeks before release. We're hoping our close relationship with RIM comes through and we're once again the first to release it!

Well keep us posted!!
    07-11-11 07:38 PM
    I can't wait to get it, still wondering if anyone will sell them contract-free and how much that'll cost me...
    07-12-11 01:37 AM
    07-12-11 04:35 AM
343 ... 11121314
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD