One interesting thing about the update. I installed it and had a mostly full charge of my battery before going to bed. The phone was off and dead when I woke up in the morning, wheras I usually lose almost no charge at night. The only app I left opened other than the required base apps is TapaTalk.

So then I did full charge and from then on the battery life has been awesome, just like before.

What is also interesting is this is the exact same thing that happened when I first set up the 9930 from the box running the stock VZW .254 (or whatever) version.

Sp evidentally there is just some kind of optimization the phone has to go through to use the battery efficiently, I suppose.
    10-20-11 03:11 PM
    I love this build so far, the battery life is spectacular.

On par so far with my 8530.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-20-11 03:27 PM
    I love this build so far, the battery life is spectacular.

On par so far with my 8530.

I have to agree here - the battery life for me is far more superior to the .362 build. I was averaging 2.3% per hour idle - now on this update, down to 1.3%/hour with use!

Much better!!!
    10-20-11 03:34 PM
    For someone who got this 9930 for free because I had 7 storms and 4 tours, I should be all over this forum complaining about how the battery life blowwws on the 9930 and how the update is still not available from verizon...but i'm not. im quite satisfied with my 9930. there is nothing more i can ask for in a phone. i work in my office with wifi all day, and using wifi on my phone for those misc bbms during the day, i have realized that wifi helps save battery life while connected to a network. i have said that many times, but apparently people have not caught on yet.

i will be dead honest, i would love for SIRI to become a trademarked producted available for licensed use, because there are more things than just the blackberry that could use this technology. for instance, my macbook pro. it should have siri in the next round of updates...i shoudl be able to launch my mail and dashboard and even print to a certain printer by the sound of my voice.
    10-20-11 04:53 PM
    Seriously, if you had the phone for a month or two already, why are you still bs about the battery life? RIM knows it sucks but do you think sitting here writing 100 post a day going to make it any better? RIM just going to tell us "hey go buy a extra battery, or get a extended one"

Or go tell ur carrier n they might send u a free extra one after you done called 100x

plus you had 14-30 days with the device, if battery life was a major issue u should of had return it n got ur tour or curve back or old bold, but you know why ur not returning it because deep down you know u love it
    Last edited by YoungAceAtlanta; 10-20-11 at 06:33 PM.
    10-20-11 06:31 PM
    Seriously, if you had the phone for a month or two already, why are you still bs about the battery life? RIM knows it sucks but do you think sitting here writing 100 post a day going to make it any better? RIM just going to tell us "hey go buy a extra battery, or get a extended one"

Or go tell ur carrier n they might send u a free extra one after you done called 100x

plus you had 14-30 days with the device, if battery life was a major issue u should of had return it n got ur tour or curve back or old bold, but you know why ur not returning it because deep down you know u love it

You need to relax. The battery gets me though the day with the original OS, but with each update the battery usage gets better and allowing us to be less conservative.

I did not say the battery life sucked in this thread.

........Relax.

10-20-11 07:04 PM
    So when is this build actually going to be released?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-11 08:11 PM

Yesterday.
    10-20-11 08:59 PM
    Yesterday.
    haha

10chars
    10-20-11 09:01 PM
    I've sifted through posts in the thread and, seemingly, views are mixed..

I'm running .362 on my VZW 9930..can anyone coming from a similar model/build comment on their Jump to .374?

worth it? Regret it?

thanks (I just don't want to have to backup/wipe/restore again having done so 5 days ago lol)
    10-20-11 09:03 PM
    I've sifted through posts in the thread and, seemingly, views are mixed..

I'm running .362 on my VZW 9930..can anyone coming from a similar model/build comment on their Jump to .374?

worth it? Regret it?

thanks (I just don't want to have to backup/wipe/restore again having done so 5 days ago lol)
    It takes twenty minutes........ do it, I came from .362....... well worth it.
    10-20-11 09:18 PM
    It takes twenty minutes........ do it, I came from .362....... well worth it.
    Yep, and no need to go through all that extra mess (wiping, etc). Just instal l the EXE on your computer, plug in the phone, open the DM and let it do it's thing.
    10-20-11 09:55 PM
    Yep, and no need to go through all that extra mess (wiping, etc). Just instal l the EXE on your computer, plug in the phone, open the DM and let it do it's thing.
    Nah....apploader is quicker.
    10-20-11 10:01 PM
    I've never updated through DM, always a wipe with jl_cmder and then appraiser..

is one better/safer than the other?

only reason I ask is that the update popped up in DM while backing up
    10-20-11 10:05 PM
    after reading this thread, you would disagree with the consensus that the "death of pc's" has begun.
    10-20-11 10:10 PM
    after reading this thread, you would disagree with the consensus that the "death of pc's" has begun.
    hank, my bad - didn't see your post. That's what I thought

and haha, after buying a new 9930 - I had to dig out my old Dell laptop running Windows xp, as everything else known is a mac
    10-20-11 10:20 PM
    Nah....apploader is quicker.
    Yes but you sometimes loose third party apps when you do that, the DM will preserve everything but sign-ins, license keys, etc.

I've never updated through DM, always a wipe with jl_cmder and then appraiser..

is one better/safer than the other?

only reason I ask is that the update popped up in DM while backing up
    I have a feeling this is gonna start a debate here but:

J_Cmdr is fine when you have a broken OS or are messing with hybrids and is usually necessary when downgrading an OS but for a straight upgrade you are messing with more than you have to and there is NO advantage to manually wiping the device as the device is already wiped (and data and apps restored) dung a regular update. You are going to a carrier supported OS (ie one with a vendor.xml file for Verizon). It's a complete myth that you somehow get a cleaner install by wiping first.

I will also point out that J_Cmdr is an internal tool used by RIM and not intended for public use.

Read my sig file to see how many BB's I have had over the years and I have installed unofficial/leaked OS's on most of them. I've done it several hundred times, so I have a lot of experience here.
    10-20-11 10:23 PM
    Yes but you sometimes loose third party apps when you do that, the DM will preserve everything but sign-ins, license keys, etc.

I have a feeling this is gonna start a debate here but:

J_Cmdr is fine when you have a broken OS or are messing with hybrids and is usually necessary when downgrading an OS but for a straight upgrade you are messing with more than you have to and there is NO advantage to manually wiping the device as the device is already wiped (and data and apps restored) dung a regular update. You are going to a carrier supported OS (ie one with a vendor.xml file for Verizon). It's a complete myth that you somehow get a cleaner install by wiping first.

I will also point out that J_Cmdr is an internal tool used by RIM and not intended for public use.

Read my sig file to see how many BB's I have had over the years and I have installed unofficial/leaked OS's on most of them. I've done it several hundred times, so I have a lot of experience here.
    it's nice to know that you have experience with blackberries, but may i ask why you "USE" 5 phones, currently?
    10-20-11 10:29 PM
    it's nice to know that you have experience with blackberries, but may i ask why you "USE" 5 phones, currently?
    These are the deices I own that have service right now. I only carry one with me everywhere (my D3) and what other device(s) -- usually two at a time -- I carry varies from day to day. It's a family plan with upgrade dates spread out over two years.

I'm a tec junkie and I have varied interests, and frankly I want to. Most were bought on upgrades, some (like the 9930) were full retail. Why do I have so many phones? Why do Kevin and the other site staff each carry BB's (sometimes more than one), iPhones, and now Kevin is talking about getting the Nexus Galaxy. Each device is unique and does different things well.
    10-20-11 10:46 PM
    As others have noted, much better battery life! I also noticed that the camera takes pictures much quicker than it did before...almost no delay. I also had an issue with the previous build where using the flashlight app would "black out" my camera. If I used the flashlight and then later (at any point) used the camera, I was met with a black screen. A batt pull fixed it, until I had to use the flashlight again, but this new build has solved the problem.

Phone also seems to charge up much quicker.
    10-20-11 11:31 PM
    No complaints so far about this OS.. It did give me the 507 though. Had to wipe with J_Cmdr, re-loaded with loader.exe.. up and running now for about two days.

This build seems to be more snappy. Battery seems to be a bit better than the .362 leak. Like others have said, phone now takes pictures faster.. I don't see a need for this myself, but I guess it's cool .. (since the new iphone brags about it lol).

Still no use for NFC. Since Verizon released an OS with NFC, maybe they have their own NFC apps coming out.. just a guess!
    10-20-11 11:36 PM
    1. Battery life is horrible for me .

2. PODcast. cannot add RSS still like before.
    3. last build feel snappier for me.
    Last edited by nuke99; 10-21-11 at 05:07 AM.
    10-21-11 01:04 AM

Sorry, got sidetracked; meant to get back a little sooner. It showed up in Desktop Manager right after midnight for me on the 19th, but still isn't available as a direct download from Verizon as yet. It'll show up on the CB blog as soon as it goes officially official.
    10-21-11 01:24 AM
    Apploader preserves everything except keys; Facebook, Twitter, and any websites I keep logged into (like CB) need signed into again. I only open DM to do an initial backup just in case.

Also for anyone running Vista/Windows 7 64-bit: you need to run Apploader as admin (right-click, run as administrator). Do the same with Desktop Manager if there's issues.
    Last edited by Reubechs; 10-21-11 at 01:37 AM.
    10-21-11 01:34 AM
    Snappy. LoL.

Fools.
    10-21-11 03:58 AM
412 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD