something is weird about this os...ive had my bb on for a day and a half and my memory has only went down about 2-5MB. usually id be down 50 MB by now. im not used to not having a memory leak :$

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    r_hafeed likes this.
    02-08-13 08:40 AM
    Hey guys, it seems we get a new .sfi there. The smallest one in term of size!!!
    Testing on Orange France...
    02-08-13 09:08 AM
    Hey Mod, can you make this thread sticky?
    Mecca EL and Legal Eagle like this.
    02-08-13 09:44 AM
    something is weird about this os...ive had my bb on for a day and a half and my memory has only went down about 2-5MB. usually id be down 50 MB by now.
    Memory leak has always been an issue for me for all OS's I've installed. In fact, I'm bracing myself to wiping my phone before installing this OS and install my apps one by one later as suggested by other posters to keep the memory leak to a minimum, just in case. But basing on your post, it seems that I need not fret about memory leak and not inconvenience myself of added trouble of wiping and reinstaling apps one by one.

Let's see....
    02-08-13 10:14 AM
    Memory leak has always been an issue for me for all OS's I've installed. In fact, I'm bracing myself to wiping my phone before installing this OS and install my apps one by one later as suggested by other posters to keep the memory leak to a minimum, just in case. But basing on your post, it seems that I need not fret about memory leak and not inconvenience myself of added trouble of wiping and reinstaling apps one by one.

Let's see....
    Java uses garbage collection and it's common knowledge that garbage collection is prone to memory leaks. They will never go away, but what applications you are using has a lot to do with it. Why fret about it? I almost never do a battery pull and I don't even look at the memory. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Legal Eagle likes this.
    02-08-13 10:52 AM
    So, is the os better than the previous ones ?
    Also the battery life is it better ?
    02-08-13 03:51 PM
    So, is the os better than the previous ones ?
    Also the battery life is it better ?
    Some may argue otherwise, but in my opinion, the differences between the most recent OSes are so small that they are almost indistinguishable. There have been a few minor changes / improvements in each new OS, but let's be realistic, OS 7.1 is on life support. Anyone who thinks BlackBerry will be making any significant changes to it is dreaming. Also, WRT battery life, when OS 7.1 came out, it was a big improvement over OS 7, because OS 7 was such a battery hog. It was also more stable, because OS 7 was so unstable anything would be an improvement. That was a relatively long time ago. The improvements have been getting smaller and smaller with each new release. If the improvements in battery consumption were HUGE, as some people say every new release, the battery would be self-charging by now. Everyone has their reasons for installing new OSes. My reason is because they are new. I'm giving BlackBerry the benefit of the doubt that each new OS will be an improvement, however small, over the previous. Sometimes that's the case, other times it's not. YMMV.
    Elite1 and Mecca EL like this.
    02-08-13 04:18 PM

Let's see....
    i have the exact same apps on this os that i had on my previous os and os .794. basically i have all the same apps on this os and im facing litereally no memory leak... so happy

02-08-13 06:29 PM
    i have the exact same apps on this os that i had on my previous os and os .794. basically i have all the same apps on this os and im facing litereally no memory leak... so happy

How is signal strength compared to 825. I live in a rural area in the UK and have found that 825 is the best OS thus far where the radio is concerned. I've got 861 already to load and shrunk. Might load it on over the weekend.
    02-08-13 07:12 PM
    How is signal strength compared to 825. I live in a rural area in the UK and have found that 825 is the best OS thus far where the radio is concerned. I've got 861 already to load and shrunk. Might load it on over the weekend.

signal strength is poor unfortunately. 794 had the best signal strength for me and then .825 was a little worse and this current one is a little worse than that. it's not that bad though except for the fact that when im in school i usually got 1-3 bars but with this os im getting SOS/ searching for network.

02-08-13 09:35 PM
    Looks like another bust in the .sfi department.

Back to the trusty .714 "fat" .sfi for the next Hybrid install it would seem.
    I may try in next couple of days to put .714 .SFI and see ...

temp jumps could be due to bad network area or a network outage in your area/ carrier. I have had temp ranging from 17 deg celcius when idle and maximum of 26-28 degrees when in heavy usage ( calls, browsing etc.)
    Same usage and area as on .825, dont think we had any outages but who knows. Will stay couple of more days on this install, and if same heating, as mentioned above will see is it going to work with .714 .sfi
    02-08-13 09:57 PM
    After reading your earlier post of solving your memory leak with this OS, I installed it without wiping the phone first and without uninstalling the few apps that I use regularly that I suspected were causing the memory leak, i.e, BeWeather, BeBuzz, Hookt or BBM. I had managed to uninstall some apps I rarely use, Poynt, Facebook, Shazam and Fixmo tools. It has been 12 hours now more or less since I installed the OS and I have lost 1-2 MB of memory only when normally, I would have lost between 50-70MB already.

I will install those apps i uninstalled one by one each day and see what happens.
    02-09-13 12:09 AM
    is there any way i can improve signal strength? maybe put the signal strength file from a previous os onto this one?

02-09-13 01:42 AM
    is there any way i can improve signal strength? maybe put the signal strength file from a previous os onto this one?

You can change the .sfi file with that from an OS that was giving you good signal strength.
    02-09-13 04:10 AM
    Looks like everybody has gone Zed10, and only a few of us have remained loyal to 9900, LOL....
    Does OS7 still exist ?

I'm sick to death of all the hype about the half finished and really not fit for release BB10

Even CB has removed all the quick links at the top of the forum pages to every OS7 Device and replaced them with BB10 threads.

Pretty sure that there are a great many more people using OS7 Devices than Z10's

What's next, renaming CB CrackOS10Berry ???

Lets try and maintain a little balance on here. There is more to CB and BB than OS10.
    02-09-13 05:36 AM
    Does OS7 still exist ?

I'm sick to death of all the hype about the half finished and really not fit for release BB10

Even CB has removed all the quick links at the top of the forum pages to every OS7 Device and replaced them with BB10 threads.

Pretty sure that there are a great many more people using OS7 Devices than Z10's

Lets try and maintain a little balance on here. There is more to CB and BB than OS10.
    +1 Yes Legal, I agree with you entirely. CB seems to have deserted its old faithful base. There must still be millions of us that haven't or can't or don't want to upgrade to BB10. Come on CB there's no need to desert us.

02-09-13 08:30 AM
    You can change the .sfi file with that from an OS that was giving you good signal strength.
    how do i do that? :E sorry im a bit of a noob :$

02-09-13 11:09 AM
    how do i do that? :E sorry im a bit of a noob :$

I am assuming that you already have .861 installed on your PC.

It will be located in C/Program Files/Common Files/RIM/Shared/Loader Files

Open the .861 file and you will see a folder named UMTS. This contains the .sfi (radio) file which is the one you want to swap.

Decide which OS had the best signal for you and download and install it onto your PC.

Copy the .sfi from that OS and paste it (overwrite) into the .861 OS UMTS folder, uninstall the "donor" OS and you are ready to reload your modified .861.

Hope this helps.
    02-09-13 11:16 AM
    I am assuming that you already have .861 installed on your PC.

It will be located in C/Program Files/Common Files/RIM/Shared/Loader Files

Open the .861 file and you will see a folder named UMTS. This contains the .sfi (radio) file which is the one you want to swap.

Decide which OS had the best signal for you and download and install it onto your PC.

Copy the .sfi from that OS and paste it (overwrite) into the .861 OS UMTS folder, uninstall the "donor" OS and you are ready to reload your modified .861.

Hope this helps.
    thank you very much sir, i will try this tonight.

02-09-13 11:43 AM
    Does OS7 still exist ?

I don't disagree with you, but the reality is that this site is a reflection of BlackBerry. Everything except OS 10 is basically coasting and will eventually grind to a halt, irrespective of how many users are stuck on it. In another year or so, OS 7 will be on life support. I'm stuck on it until December, when there will only be 1 year left in my contract. Hopefully by then, the IT wonks will have BES 10 up and running. Currently, it's not running, so even if my contract wasn't preventing me from upgrading to OS 10, I couldn't because of the BES. It's going to be a long year...
    02-09-13 11:58 AM
    I don't disagree with you, but the reality is that this site is a reflection of BlackBerry. Everything except OS 10 is basically coasting and will eventually grind to a halt, irrespective of how many users are stuck on it. In another year or so, OS 7 will be on life support. I'm stuck on it until December, when there will only be 1 year left in my contract. Hopefully by then, the IT wonks will have BES 10 up and running. Currently, it's not running, so even if my contract wasn't preventing me from upgrading to OS 10, I couldn't because of the BES. It's going to be a long year...
    WOW !!!!!!!

Somebody out there is listening, looks like we may be getting our OS7 device links back !!!

http://forums.crackberry.com/crackbe...s-back-769815/
    02-09-13 12:06 PM
    . In another year or so, OS 7 will be on life support.
    Not so sure about that, after all, OS 6 just had a fairly recent update.
    02-09-13 12:17 PM
    Not so sure about that, after all, OS 6 just had a fairly recent update.
    As soon as the Q10 comes out, sales of the Bold and Torch will crash. (I suppose that's relative, some people would say they already crashed.) As soon as a low cost OS10 device comes out, sales of the Curve will crash, again, relatively speaking.

I'm very surprised that BlackBerry is still releasing new versions of OS7.1 and OS6. I can't help but think that will end soon. It's not like they're adding new features. Aside from a few token changes, there haven't been any new features in OS7.1 since it was introduced. Can you name a single new OS 7.1 or OS6 feature that makes a difference for the market outlook of the Bold, Torch, or Curve line of phones? I can't imagine a more dismal job than being an OS7.1 or OS6 developer. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. It's dead, Jim.
    02-09-13 12:53 PM
    Just installed 861 last night and am pleasantly surprised with performance... the memory leak or lack of is pretty amazing... battery temps are running between 23 at idle and 27 in use, not too bad at all... Signal strength is a little weaker than 825, but not a big deal... I've done 3 battery pulls thus far and the OS seems to be settling in very nicely... Well done BB... Just visited a couple of the z10 forums and things a little heated... Glad I'm here... Cheers,
    02-09-13 03:27 PM
    As soon as the Q10 comes out, sales of the Bold and Torch will crash. (I suppose that's relative, some people would say they already crashed.) As soon as a low cost OS10 device comes out, sales of the Curve will crash, again, relatively speaking.

I'm very surprised that BlackBerry is still releasing new versions of OS7.1 and OS6. I can't help but think that will end soon. It's not like they're adding new features. Aside from a few token changes, there haven't been any new features in OS7.1 since it was introduced. Can you name a single new OS 7.1 or OS6 feature that makes a difference for the market outlook of the Bold, Torch, or Curve line of phones? I can't imagine a more dismal job than being an OS7.1 or OS6 developer. I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. It's dead, Jim.
    Thorsten Heins himself stated OS7 won't "die" anytime soon. There most likely will even be new OS7 devices this year, while most likely those won't be any high-end phones, they would still be vital for emerging markets and general low-cost segments. I am also pretty sure this .861 won't be the last firmware update this quarter. Of course the intervals and numbers of new software releases for OS7.1 plattform will go down, the original 7.0 has been out for one and a half year, 7.1 from what I recall is already a year old. So naturally the amounts of updates will lower from now on.

IMO there are quite some things where 7.1 improved from the first versions: General performance, battery performance, we got parental controls and lately we even got a basic LED coloring option. Sure, nobody here should expect any miracles to happen in terms of the legacy OS. However just saying "BB10 is out no, good bye OS7 guys!" is just plain wrong, even Blackberry says that. Some people are stuck in a contract for months to come. Others might have bought an OS7 device full price not too long ago, my 9900 is just nine months old - bought off contract, so I am not sure why I should replace it right now. There are also some other countries out there, where people simply can't afford buying new phones on yearly or, by looking at quite some members here, even monthly basis.

In addition to that it appears BB10 ain't as perfect as people expected it to be: No Outlook sync. What happened to the profiles? I've also read questionable things about display readability outdoors in sunlight. The currently available app selection was obviously overrated. Bug reports and missing features keep appearing on daily basis. Sure, BB10 is young and brand new. However there are some crucial things missing which have been standard for BB devices since years. So I guess some people will prefer to wait and see how this new OS evolves in the months to come.

Last but not least:
    BB10 isn't even available for most markets. While it is nice to see how the UK got the great headstart, how Canada got the release this week while readings post after post of annoyed US citizens about the march release for their country - we speak about three markets. Not a single country on mainland Europe got the Z10 yet, with markets like France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland or Spain you can't say there is no demand. Pacific regions also got no release, with Australia and New Zealand waiting, same with asian countries like India or the Philippines. The latter two are markets where Blackberry is always promoted in being a top brand with great marketshare, same for emerging market South Africa - no BB10 as of now. While BB10 is the future, we should not forget about the present.
    02-09-13 04:49 PM
183 1234 ...