Hey,

Dunno if anyones ever experienced this or complained about it.. but I've had it happen on a few builds like .461 and .534 (about to download this one).

If I type a long sms to someone that extends beyond the regular size of the field (and need to scroll up to see what I've typed before i send it) these small black lines will form at the top and bottom of the field..

If I then select all the text and delete it (instead of "Clear Field") the reply box will go completely black..

Seems really strange??

Any thoughts??
    I tried to replicate this and was not able to. That is one LONG SMS message you have to type in order to get it to scroll off the window.
    05-17-11 04:47 PM
    downloaded and installed on a device at work today, will post if the user has any issues.

thanks
    05-17-11 04:53 PM
    I am somewhat new to installing new OS's on my BB, so I have a question about wiping the device before installing. I noticed ELITE1 left the wipe step out of their instructions and the comment above talks about the myth of wiping and 507. Can someone explain whether wiping is a good step or not and what the downside of doing it is please. Seems to me it couldn't hurt.
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

First off, all any program can do is provide shortcuts to loader commands, so they can't do anything magical loader doesn't. 507 is the error code you'll see on your screen, when your OS and personal data has been removed, aka a full wipe. A security wipe would remove only your personal data, and can include your 3rd party apps also. I do have a trick, that will wipe everything but your 3rd party apps, and show a 507, but we won't get into that here.

The drawbacks to wiping are as follows, in no particular order:
    Groups seldom restore properly, so you have to go through the process of reloading them.
    3rd party app permissions don't restore well, so those have to be reset.
    3rd party app registrations that are part of the database don't happen, so all 3rd party apps have to be re-registered.
    Sometimes a database will double up on you.
    It takes more time to upgrade/downgrade, and who's time isn't valuable?

Benefits - zip, zero,nada. Some will say their OS didn't run right, and they had to wipe, then it worked great. Usually what happened is one or more OS files either didn't load, or loaded corrupt, and rerunning loader.exe would have caught that without wiping. Other reason would be a lot of themes installed, which sometimes can load in conflict, and cause a huge battery drain.

There is only one good rreason to wipe first in my book. Something goes terribly wrong, and you can't get loader.exe to run again without wiping first.
    sheldonbk and minttea like this.
    05-17-11 06:33 PM
    Welcome to CrackBerry!

The drawbacks to wiping are as follows, in no particular order:
    Groups seldom restore properly, so you have to go through the process of reloading them.
    3rd party app permissions don't restore well, so those have to be reset.
    3rd party app registrations that are part of the database don't happen, so all 3rd party apps have to be re-registered.
    Sometimes a database will double up on you.
    It takes more time to upgrade/downgrade, and who's time isn't valuable?

Great explanation. Best I've read, for that matter. Thanks!!

I must admit, though, that I've had problems reloading 3rd party apps using loader in Windows and even using the latest Mac DM, both without wiping first. Many if not most seem to require re-registration, and some don't get reloaded at all. I do save the cod files from all 3rd party apps using BBSAK in Windows before upgrading an OS so that I don't lose any of them, and quite a few have to be reloaded manually. I understand about the apps from BB World, but am talking about other 3rd party apps.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-17-11 10:13 PM
    I tried to replicate this and was not able to. That is one LONG SMS message you have to type in order to get it to scroll off the window.
    Lol I agree, never normally type more than 1 line let alone 3 or 4.. it just happened one time so now I always try it with each new build I install.
    05-17-11 10:41 PM
    Great explanation. Best I've read, for that matter. Thanks!!

I must admit, though, that I've had problems reloading 3rd party apps using loader in Windows and even using the latest Mac DM, both without wiping first. Many if not most seem to require re-registration, and some don't get reloaded at all. I do save the cod files from all 3rd party apps using BBSAK in Windows before upgrading an OS so that I don't lose any of them, and quite a few have to be reloaded manually. I understand about the apps from BB World, but am talking about other 3rd party apps.
    Thanks!

I've only loast a 3rd party app on rare occasion. I also described a few posts back how to backup your 3rd party apps during the upgrade. Just search your pin after it makes the backup (step 2), and copy the folder in the temp folder, then paste it where you'd like. Beyond a couple apps registration, and the usual log ins, I find most of my apps registered when I come back from an upgrade. I can tell you, the most experienced members I know would never suggest a wipe. Reed, Pete6, CX, JeffH, willyboy6 and lyricidal to name a few.
    mechanic_joe likes this.
    05-17-11 10:45 PM
    For me the memory leak is definitely less with this build vs. 6.0.0.534.

a comparison.

couple hours after

Last edited by Yell0w; 05-19-11 at 07:40 PM.
    05-18-11 12:06 AM
    ....with this build i get the small clock too frequently....plus i dont run many apps just yim, ubersocial and facebook......really getting frustrated and tempted to switch back to .534...
    05-18-11 07:02 AM
    .. I kinda' feel that the reception is a bit worse than .534...
    05-18-11 09:33 AM
    No feedback yet? I remember the good old days when a new OS would leak (or get released for the first time officially as this one did) there would be dozens of responses within the first 15 minutes.

I saw this in my twitter feed earlier, and just got home....and figured while downloading I'd look for some feedback and there is none!

Are people really that fed up with RIM that they're not downloading the latest and greatest OS's?
    Good ol' days??

There isn't any way you can tell how good a version is after 15mins, I'd say BB users are getting smarter and waiting to try before giving feedback. I'll stick with .534 because it works fine.
    05-18-11 01:04 PM
    i've been using this for over a week now and i have noticed my battery is MUCH improved. Leaks are still there but not at a ridiculous rate
    05-19-11 10:00 AM
    ....with this build i get the small clock too frequently....plus i dont run many apps just yim, ubersocial and facebook......really getting frustrated and tempted to switch back to .534...
    I'm getting this all the time too. I did a fresh install after a wipe and am still getting it. Very frustrating.
    05-19-11 10:13 AM
    i still have issues with browser where it's "low memory" and closes browser...
    05-20-11 08:36 AM
    this is ridiculous, I installed this build and right away had a problem.
    I'm in Taiwan and I noticed the text message icon shows an error when i click on it.
    So, I did a battery pull and the whole thing freezes everytime i restart the phone, I had to wipe the phone again.
    I changed the language to english and the text message icon works, no exception error.
    For a build from Taiwan Mobile, it's not even Chinese traditional friendly. I'll keep this build for a few days, but since I need the chinese, I might have to go back to an older build with better battery life. Any suggestions on what build I should downgrade to?
    05-20-11 02:10 PM
    After installing I have a problem with volume up, no problem with volume down. Did a battery pull at least six times so far and still have a problem.
    Anyone else experience it? Any fix?
    Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 06:42 PM
    I just finished reading this discussion. I was full of hope. I was sure I could find one person happy with .546
    The memory leak issue could be fixed, DSK could be sent to a farm to finish his life in the mud with the pigs..
    You can't always get what you want..
    Tomorrow I'm upgrading from .448 to .546.. I"ll see..
    And.... I'm still looking forward to this awesome 9900..
    I'd suggest you give .576 a look... it's been very good.
    JackJerry likes this.
    05-23-11 12:02 PM
    It's interesting that you did not have this problem with .534. My troubles started with .526 and occurred with .534. Look at Options>Device>Application Management and scroll right to the CPU screen. Wait for a few cycles of this screen (it updates every five seconds). If your Phone module goes to nearly 100% of CPU usage, you have the problem I had. It stalls the phone periodically and consumes the battery too fast. It really kills the performance of voice dialing.

No one that I know of has been able to pinpoint it, but it appears to be caused by something that gets pushed to the phone on BES activation. However, it doesn't happen to everyone. The only solution I found is to drop back to .480. However, I'd LOVE to hear from anyone who has pinpointed and fixed this problem.
    theretroandroid likes this.
    05-23-11 03:06 PM
    I'd suggest you give .576 a look... it's been very good.
    Could not locate the .576 version but I am currently running .546.
    There is some what of a memory decrease of about 20m over a 3 day period for me. I do a battery pull and it jumps back to 73-75 for a few days.
    Other than that, it is a pretty descent OS.
    05-23-11 04:30 PM
    Could not locate the .576 version but I am currently running .546.
    There is some what of a memory decrease of about 20m over a 3 day period for me. I do a battery pull and it jumps back to 73-75 for a few days.
    Other than that, it is a pretty descent OS.
    You can find .576 here: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe

Just tested it myself... still available.
    05-23-11 05:28 PM
    Thanks shabbs...I will check it out.
    05-23-11 07:10 PM
    Hey im on the .448 do i just upgrade to this or do i have to do some form of wipe im hearing about.
    Caz i really want a more stable one for my bb 9700
    and what do i wipe with
    05-24-11 08:46 PM
    Hey im on the .448 do i just upgrade to this or do i have to do some form of wipe im hearing about.
    Caz i really want a more stable one for my bb 9700
    and what do i wipe with
    you can wipe and shrink the OS with BB Boss
    05-26-11 02:57 AM
    You can find .576 here: Free File Hosting, Online Storage &amp File Upload with FileServe

Just tested it myself... still available.
    Hi, i tried to install this version of OS to my BB9700 but end up no change after done installed & rebooted. May i know what i can do if this situation? Do i need to delete the vendor.xml everytime i upgrade OS manually?
    05-28-11 01:44 AM
    Here's my short-version OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's Quick OS6 UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, the browser is irrelevant though.)
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
      �64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
      �32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss or Shrink-A-OS/BBHybrids Tool.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    i have tried this on three windows machines xp and windows 7 and i only get as far as device application selection (which i leave all ticked ) then when i click next i get the message no actions required and thats as far as it goes
    am i missing something.
    i have done a flash before from version 5 to version 6.0.0.461
    i would luv to upgrade from here
    05-28-11 09:18 AM
    i have tried this on three windows machines xp and windows 7 and i only get as far as device application selection (which i leave all ticked ) then when i click next i get the message no actions required and thats as far as it goes
    am i missing something.
    i have done a flash before from version 5 to version 6.0.0.461
    i would luv to upgrade from here
    If you have no other OS versions on your PC and have run the 6.0 OS Apploader.exe should pick it up or try using DM to install the update. Also using BBSAK to do a wipe will allow a clean install.
    Last edited by andyahs; 05-28-11 at 09:28 AM.
    05-28-11 09:25 AM
165 ... 4567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD