Help!!! I downloaded .546. First did a wipe with BBSAK, used BB Boss to shrink and now with some apps loaded I keep getting app error 603 and reboot every few minutes. How can I tell which app is causing the problem?
    Sounds like you first need to get an OS loaded. Go back to something safe. Even OS5. Then reload .546.
    05-11-11 10:40 AM
    From what I am reading so far, it sounds like updating from .534 to .546 is not really worth the effort, especially if you have lots of 3rd party apps to re-register, etc. There is some varied responses of people who say the memory leak is better, yet far more are saying it is the same or worse. I am going to sit tight...wait to upgrade to the Bold Touch where there is lots of memory and horsepower to get the job done! Kind of tired of messing around with the 9700. It works well enough for what it is. It is only App memory that drops and for the most part the device runs fine even when it is low. Enjoy your life.
    Last edited by joeberrymomma; 05-11-11 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Adding a comment...
    05-11-11 10:41 AM
    noob question guys, but please help me out here .

If i update my mom's 9700 OS5 to the latest OS6, would she lose any data? or would it backup everything, including apps etc.? I have never done an update on any BB phone so please help me out.

Thanks guys
    05-11-11 11:15 AM
    Here's my short-version OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

... snip ...

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    Yepp... My 9700 has been in a drawer for several months, but now I need to resurrect it, and I warmly welcome a refresher on the basics

Thanks a lot
    05-11-11 11:50 AM
    I have .546 installed. Now when the phone reboots it gets thru the security check and locks up. How can I wipe device?
    05-11-11 12:03 PM
    If i update my mom's 9700 OS5 to the latest OS6, would she lose any data? or would it backup everything, including apps etc.? I have never done an update on any BB phone so please help me out.

Thanks guys
    Go to page 1 of this thread and scroll down to the post by "elite1" with the guide to installing.

Pay close attention to steps 3 - 7 where elite1 talks about backing up data. If you follow his instructions you will be fine.

If you are indeed a noob.........read it several times and make sure you understand it beginning to end. Print it and follow the instructions as you go.

If you back up everything.............you should be OK.

In fact.......it would not hurt to do steps 3-7 first. All you are doing in steps 3-7 is backing up everything. Wouldn't hurt to do all of that before you start anything else.

Hope this helps!!!!!!
    Last edited by duckduke; 05-11-11 at 03:04 PM.
    05-11-11 03:01 PM
    Here's my short-version OS install guide if anyone needs a refresher...

ELITE1's Quick OS6 UPGRADE GUIDE

1. (Optional) Uninstall any previous OS from your PC.
    2. Download OS to PC. Use Internet Explorer to do so, not Firefox or Chrome. (For leaked versions, the browser is irrelevant though.)
    3. Following successful DL, run OS file to install OS on PC.
    4. On BB, go to BBM Options, scroll down to Backup section. Ensure Remote Backup is enabled AND also conduct a Local Backup to media card.
    5. Go through any 3rd party apps that have option to save settings to media card, and conduct Backup to media card from menu within each of these apps. (Examples: all Bellshare apps such as BerryBuzz & BerryWeather; QuickLaunch; Shao's apps such as Wallpaper Changer & SixTools; Show Me The Images; etc).
    6. Connect BB to PC. Open DM and backup device. Close DM.
    7. (Optional) Use desktop program like BBSAK or BBMCP to backup 3rd party apps.
    8. On PC, navigate to
      �64-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
      �32-bit: Computer/C:/Program Files/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader and delete file therein called Vendor.
    9. (Optional/Recommended) Run BB Boss or Shrink-A-OS/BBHybrids Tool.
    10. In same AppLoader file where you deleted Vendor, double-click on Loader to initiate OS upgrade. Follow onscreen instructions.

PS I've posted this before in other threads, but there always seems to be some people that appreciate a step-by-step each time.
    Hope this helps!!
    05-11-11 03:03 PM
    Memory leak is really worse for me on this build compared to .534 which was pretty stable on my 9700...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 03:09 PM
    Memory leak is really worse for me on this build compared to .534 which was pretty stable on my 9700...

It's only been a little over 24hours...
    05-11-11 03:24 PM
    For me memory is also reacting differently. It took a massive drop in the beginning. But somehow it has recovered and regained some free app storage or file free, whichever You like to call it. On 534 it took a small dive and then slowly decreased, but no recovery that I saw of.

it was 85 after my last reboot (after installing all my apps again) and dropped in 12 hours to 71. Now, 33 hours after reboot, it is up to 75. I think or hope that is just the search indexing and other caching using some of the space, and rather that than my RAM (memory). That, my memory (RAM), stays very stable at 35 when checking it in application management. Previously it was hovering around 20 +/-10 for the 4xx builds and actually 40 on 534. But this one remains responsive and willing to open most full web pages.

I have a theory that RIM has made a special memory management for the 256MB devices from the 5xx version and up, and what it does is actually to use some of the application storage for "virtual memory" or page file so it can free up some more RAM. But it is just a theory.
    05-11-11 04:12 PM
    It's only been a little over 24hours...
    I know but I didn't have that even during the first 24 hours with .534... I hope it'll settle...
    05-11-11 04:25 PM
    Just a quick correction to your comments... the current BBM version is 5.0.3.22, which is the official version that provides support for BBM over BB Bridge for Playbooks...
    I forgot, thanks for the reminder
    05-11-11 08:21 PM
    i cant get it to work. My chinese characters arent displaying. Alt+ent does not prompt me a change in input language.

Am i missing anything?
    did you shrink the OS? if you did, do NOT check off monotype. the chinese text requires this font.

this is the taiwan release, so yes, it does have chinese and it works fine.
    05-11-11 09:13 PM
    Help!!! I downloaded .546. First did a wipe with BBSAK, used BB Boss to shrink and now with some apps loaded I keep getting app error 603 and reboot every few minutes. How can I tell which app is causing the problem?
    There's a problem with one of the apps you loaded. Here's a fix, wipe and re-install the OS. Then restore only crucial data such as address book, contacts, calendars, etc. Play with it afterward see if error 603 comes up. Most probably it won't. Then re-download apps one by one.

Hope that helps.
    05-11-11 10:45 PM
    Still failed to download the OS . Anyone else have it store in other hosting place?
    05-12-11 02:06 AM
    Still failed to download the OS . Anyone else have it store in other hosting place?
    I have it mirrored on page 3
    have a look
    05-12-11 02:47 AM
    Any more observations regarding memory leak on this one?

I have been on .448 since RIM made it available on Beta Zone. Was hoping they would finally release something on there again that would address the problem but I've had enough of waiting.

After the last two updates, BBM and Facebook, that was released on Beta Zone my 9700 has slowed down to a crawl. Wanna start afresh and possibly drop one or two of the unneccessary Beta Zone updates in favour of more stable ones.

Any help on which version would be appreciated-OS5 is not really an option anymore. This time I will follow the complete wipe and clean install procedures.
    05-12-11 10:03 AM
    my phone has been running on 546 since last night... it doesn't seem to leak as much as 534...

will leave it a few more days before deciding...

my sudoku still doesn't work for daily puzzle... i wonder if the IT policy has anything to do with it

regarding memory leak... after initial start up of about 89mb on my phone, it is staying stable at 76-77mb for me. so, for my phone, the leak was not atrocious as 534 where it would drop to 60
    Last edited by CrazyJo82; 05-12-11 at 01:37 PM.
    05-12-11 10:27 AM
    why does it have to download in IE?
    05-12-11 02:55 PM
    It has been 2-3 days since I have installed this leak, and can add the following to what I have said before:

The 35-0% battery issue has been (somewhat) fixed. I am not sure if it is where it used to be, but I can tell you that it took me four-five hours to get from 20 percent to 10 percent battery. With the bug it was within 5-15 minutes.

Memory leak has been decreased, but still not gone. I had a 4 mb leak in 12 hours, so a large improvement.

In the end, this is a much better OS then the .534 leak, and you should go for it.
    05-12-11 05:04 PM
    Works fine in firefox for me.

05-12-11 05:12 PM
    You don't have to, but it's recommended. While Firefox and Google Chrome work fine for most, some have problems with corrupt files. If you aren't very experienced at how to handle an issue like that, why take a chance.
    05-12-11 06:34 PM
    Alternate DIRECT LINK to download this latest official Update...enjoy

Blackberry OS 6.0.0.546 Official release Clic to download
    AndresMor likes this.
    05-13-11 12:37 AM
    I've moved to .546 from .448.

The .448 was very average for me-
    I had a lot of memory leak-memory used to go down to 5 mb...
    Battery life was not that great.
    OS used to get laggy...I think this was related to the memory leak issue.

Now I am happy so far coming to this .546. I've used it for 2 days-
    The memory leak is there but much much reduced. Starting at 58 mb...i come down to between 47-50 mb in a couple of hours and stay there.
    The OS remains snappy...althoug it was intermittently laggy for about 2-3 hours after install.
    Call Quality is good...I somehow strongly feel it's network holding capability is better than .448.
    Battery life is also good...better than .448...I easily get a day and half with moderate to heavy usage. I do not have the 35%->0% battery issue. In fact I always make it a point to drain out my battery fully after an OS install and then charge it up from zero. It just keeps the battery meter more accurate in my opinion.
    The Volume Keys can be used to switch between tracks with the phone on standy-by/locked. This was earlier not possible..due to a bug.
    One more observation....when I click on the Notification Bar (which contains symbols showing you notification of new RSS feeds, Text Messages, Emails, etc. ) in the top of the Home Screen, the drop-down window opens immediately. In the earlier builds I have used, this opening used to take a while (3-5 seconds) the first time and after that it used to open quickly. Now in .546 it opens quickly even the first time.

Scrolling generally is smooth in this .546 build.

Another issue I had in the .448 was that sometimes the phone refused to wake-up from Stand-by. No matter how many times I pressed the Lock key on the top of the device. I've not faced this issue as yet...but its under monitoring.

One problem I am seeing is that my Sound Profile options are messed up. I am having some default tones sounding for Text Messages and Emails instead of the contact-specific individual tones I had assigned for some particular contacts. I am having to go and reassign the tones for my contacts.

My Overall opinion- .546 definitely a great improvement over .448 and upgrading is strongly recommended. I haven't used .534
    vbnmu likes this.
    05-13-11 04:13 AM
    I've moved to .546 from .448.

The .448 was very average for me-
    I had a lot of memory leak-memory used to go down to 5 mb...
    Battery life was not that great.
    Having faced many of the same issues on .448, your post has convinced me to switch over to .546.
    05-13-11 08:11 AM
165 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD