One bug I noticed is that if I delete email from one of my POP mail accounts (or gmail), the "Messages" icon still shows the red asterisk indicating a new message.

It will only disappear if I click on the icon. The individual pop mail icons dont show any asterisks but the all email "Messages" icon still retains the red asterisk.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks
    08-26-09 06:37 AM
    Hi,

I'm currently on Orange UK with the OS they offer, v4.6.0.247. Is it safe for me to upgrade my bold to the latest AT&T OS?

Thanks.
    08-26-09 06:40 AM

The one ostensible fix I'd previously heard of for the scan time -- deleting all of the BBThumbs.dat files and letting them be rebuilt with the new OS during reboot -- did not work.
    You said in the other thread you didn't try doing that.You said it was too much trouble. It worked for me. My media loads a lot faster. I even got a hold of a 16GB card and loaded it down with files. Music, pics, vids, etc... It loads them up pretty darn fast for me. Maybe try a different card, different brand, etc...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-09 06:41 AM
    Hey..how do you format ur media card on the bold and computer as you mentioned?

Read this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/long-card-scan-time-still-there-297-a-301713/

08-26-09 06:43 AM
    Hey..how do you format ur media card on the bold and computer as you mentioned?

He mentioned in another thread that after copying everything over to his PC, he formatted his card on the computer first and then formatted it again on the Bold before copying the contents of the folders on the PC back into the appropriate folders on the Bold.

Note that his problem was the pictures not coming up quickly for him, not the media card scan time. (Not saying that it wouldn't work to cure the scan card time, though, but I decided the surer fix was downgrading).
    08-26-09 06:45 AM
    You said in the other thread you didn't try doing that.You said it was too much trouble. It worked for me. My media loads a lot faster. I even got a hold of a 16GB card and loaded it down with files. Music, pics, vids, etc... It loads them up pretty darn fast for me. Maybe try a different card, different brand, etc...

No, I did in fact delete all 508 BBThumbs.dat files on my card and let .297 rebuild them on reboot. Easy enough to do since you just have to do a search for them in Windows Explorer and they all come up on one screen for a mass delete.

What I didn't try was what you had suggested, i.e., copying everything onto the PC and reformatting the card on the PC and then the Bold.
    08-26-09 06:49 AM
    Installed it on my bb works flawlessly! Nice build!

08-26-09 06:57 AM
    I have downloaded and installed the new 297 operating system on my Rogers branded Bold. My Bold is unlocked and operating on ATT. I called ATT and had visual voicemail added to my account. They walked me through the process. I set my new VM account up. ATT said everything shows that VVM was pushed to my handset but I have no VVM icon. I don't have anything that looks like a VVM service book. Does this work on a Rogers branded handset? I have all the other ATT junk that they push down.
    08-26-09 07:12 AM
    Installed new OS. Works great. Upon loading new OS Did not delete my previously loaded BBm5.0 or any other app. Plugged into DM and 10min later all done. VVM turned on and working. After reboot went from 36mb to 52mb.

I did notice pictures load slow and leaves that white picture icon on screen a while, not running a memory card...yet
    08-26-09 07:16 AM
    Memory leak is worse on this built. Contemplate on going back to 292. VVM isn't all that. I'm not impressed!

08-26-09 07:18 AM
    Here are some items from the past few days that may help.

Installed and working perfectly. Here's the order that I did:

1. Desktop Manager - full backup.
    2. Blackberry Swiss Army Knife - backed up all 3rd party apps.
    3. Blackberry Master Control Program - removed bloat from the OS (making sure to leave VVM on now!).
    4. JL_Cmder - Option 4 (wipe).
    5. Ran Apploader to reload the OS.
    6. Restored backup and 3rd party apps.

7. Set up new PIN number with my voicemail. Your old voicemail box and password are deleted upon provisioning to VVM.

if you have BBM 5 and want to keep it with the upgrade, install the OS on your system (making sure you uninstall any other OS first), delete the vendor.xml file (if it's not your provider's OS), then run loader.exe. It will come up with all the programs installed on your phone. DON'T CHECK OR UNCHECK ANYTHING FOR BLACKBERRY MESSENGER. There will be 2 entries although they might not say the same thing, like one may just say BBM and the other BlackBerry Messenger. LEAVE THEM BOTH ALONE, and run the upgrade. When it's done you will still have BBM 5 just the way it was before. I've done several different upgrades/downgrades using this process and never lost BBM 5 through any of them.

OTHER WAY: If you wanna load the new OS without losing BBM 5.0 (even though re-installing is no big deal) move C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.282_P4.0.0.235\Java\net_rim_bb_qm_* (there should be 17 files) to another directory. I just moved them to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\9000-v4.6.0.282_P4.0.0.235\oldmessengerfiles.

BBM won't downgrade now when you do the OS upgrade.

IN CASE NUKED: BESMgmt.de � Archiv � [Update] Fixed BlackBerry Messenger 5 (BBM5) OTA Download Links
    OR
    BlackBerry Messenger 5.0 OTAs

FOR SLOW MEDIA CARD: He mentioned in another thread that after copying everything over to his PC, he formatted his card on the computer first and then formatted it again on the Bold before copying the contents of the folders on the PC back into the appropriate folders on the Bold.

THREAD: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/lat...stasia-301586/
    08-26-09 07:45 AM
    Is there a link that I can download it straight from my phone???
    08-26-09 08:02 AM
    Is there a link that I can download it straight from my phone???
    Download what to your phone? BBM 5.0? Look above for that.
    08-26-09 08:25 AM
    Here are some items from the past few days that may help.

Installed and working perfectly. Here's the order that I did:

3. Blackberry Master Control Program - removed bloat from the OS (making sure to leave VVM on now!).
    My Blackberry Master Control Program is no longer working, I get the "...is no longer responding" error message when I try to run it. Has anybody else had this issue? I'm running Vista64 and it has worked in the past, but it has been a while since I used it too. Instead, I used Crackmem to remove bloat items, but BMCP had some nice features too.
    08-26-09 08:32 AM
    I just called up at&t to get the visual voicemail activated, as I've read to do so many times around the net - and how the phone itself instructs to call my wsp since "provisioning was unsuccessful"...

The lady had NO idea what I was talking about and kept telling me in her dry, monotone voice that VVM was only available for the iPhone. I kept explaining there's a new Bold OS out and we were just going around in circles.

She said she's received no emails or internal memos about this change. So she's set me up with some sort of call-back service, so in a few hours, someone else is supposed to call me back about this.

Meanwhile, I've since seen someone in this thread mention we can do it ourselves through the at&t wireless customer login site, under: manage features. (I tried resetting my password but that didnt work).

Seriously, though... does at&t support really not know about this change? Or did I just get the dumbest lady in the department?
    08-26-09 09:01 AM
    I just called up at&t to get the visual voicemail activated, as I've read to do so many times around the net - and how the phone itself instructs to call my wsp since "provisioning was unsuccessful"...

The lady had NO idea what I was talking about and kept telling me in her dry, monotone voice that VVM was only available for the iPhone. I kept explaining there's a new Bold OS out and we were just going around in circles.

She said she's received no emails or internal memos about this change. So she's set me up with some sort of call-back service, so in a few hours, someone else is supposed to call me back about this.

Meanwhile, I've since seen someone in this thread mention we can do it ourselves through the at&t wireless customer login site, under: manage features. (I tried resetting my password but that didnt work).

Seriously, though... does at&t support really not know about this change? Or did I just get the dumbest lady in the department?
    Call back and try a different CSR.
    08-26-09 09:06 AM
    My guess isn't that they are dumb, just that they aren't being informed about these new features. Chalk it up to miss management or something.
    08-26-09 09:08 AM

I was able to fix this myself via the ATT website. For me anyway, I logged into my account, selected my particular phone number, selected Manage Features, and then added Visual Voicemail to my account. Once I did this, I got a pop up on my phone telling me to power off and then back on. Once powered up, I was able to bring up VVM, setup my password, greeting, etc. Seems to work well.
    08-26-09 09:49 AM
    Installed 297 last night when I got home from work. Apparently because my account is from the stone ages (read: analog days) and I haven't updated my rate plan since I went GSM they had to figure out a work around for it. I also apparently had "enhanced voice mail" but it was somehow bundled into my data plan. That had to be manually removed. There were also some problems provisioning the service, but they finally got it done. Oddly enough, when it was done, I didn't have to dial in to my voice mail box to set it up. I just ran the VVM application. Completed the wizard, recorded my greeting from within the app, and it worked like a charm. Wish I could have kept the old greeting just because I don't remember what it was, but I think I recorded it on my old Nokia 5160. I've gotten comments that the new one is bad.

I was running .216 before the upgrade. I sync'd it to Outlook, did a full backup using DM and did not back up my 3rd party apps. That was intentional. There were a few that I wanted to get rid of and a few others that needed to be updated. I wiped using JL_Cmdr and installed the new OS using the DM. All went well. Memory after the initial install was in the neighborhood of 54. After sync'ing, restoring and reinstalling my 2 3rd party themes it went down to about 48. Now I'm sitting at about 35 after installing Pandora, Google Maps, App World, Bolt, and Facebook without a battery pull. Facebook was by far the worst memory hog of them all.

All in all, it seems a bit snappier than .216 was. Browser is DEFINITELY faster. Pictures load slowly, but that problem actually manifested itself in .216 over the course of the last few weeks. I don't seem to have the memory card scan problem others have reported. But, I've only got a 4 gig card with about 2.6gigs worth of stuff on it. Mostly music. I'm going to try the format thing tonight when I get home. And do a battery pull.

The only thing I haven't tested was what prompted me to stick with .216 to begin with. With .167 and .18x I had issues with Bluetooth in my car (Acura TSX). 216 solved all my problems and didn't generate any new ones, so I stuck with it.
    08-26-09 10:20 AM
    Anyone had any luck getting VVM added to a Blue account?
    08-26-09 10:45 AM
    Yeah, tried doing the vvm online but still wouldn't work, even after multiple battery pulls. Then spent 20 minutes with an ATT service rep on phone, she couldn't get it to work. Then got transfered to tech support and 2 minutes later was working fine. Guess that's why they are the tech support, hopefully they get paid a lot more lol.

08-26-09 10:59 AM
    OK, so i have downloaded the .297 OS to my desktop.
    1. i ran Crackmem and deleted the bloat from the OS i did not want
    2. ran BBSAK and did a full App backup without a hitch (nice program)
    3. opened DM to do a full backup of the phone, bookmarks, etc and got the "error" everyone was getting with browser cache, searched this cleared my cache and ran the backup again, this time it makes it past browser cache and just about to the end and i now get just a "Unknown Error" it comes up at camera settings i am now at a standstill?? would like to get the phone backed up for all the little nagging things but i can't complete the backup successfully?
    any help is appreciated or an alternate method to backup settings, bookmarks, etc
    thanks in advance
    08-26-09 11:13 AM
    So after doing the update all of my calendar entries are gone, now what do I do to get them back?
    08-26-09 11:21 AM
    One bug I noticed is that if I delete email from one of my POP mail accounts (or gmail), the "Messages" icon still shows the red asterisk indicating a new message.

It will only disappear if I click on the icon. The individual pop mail icons dont show any asterisks but the all email "Messages" icon still retains the red asterisk.

Anyone else having this problem or know of a solution?

Thanks
    Same problem here. I am using the messages folder only now. I would prefer not to but the benefits vs .282 are worth it for me...
    08-26-09 11:30 AM
    So after doing the update all of my calendar entries are gone, now what do I do to get them back?
    Are they gone from the calendar itself or just no displaying on your homescreen?

If they are gone, restore them from a backup.
    08-26-09 11:35 AM
639 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD