So I have an iPhone 5 but got bored with it (strange right???) so I decided to eBay a 9930 and give it a try.
    I always wanted a BlackBerry for the qwerty and thought with the touchscreen it would be a nice balance.
    Im in love with this phone!!! It just feels much better in my hands; the typing is hands down amazing.
    I am waiting for Sprint to release the Q10 but in the mean time I will be using this phone.
    Question: Any recommended apps? Any secret ones not in BlackBerry World??
    Tips are also appreciated!!!Thanks!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    07-25-13 09:51 PM
    Advance OS and Led.
    Adds the OS a lot! Believe me, you will not regret it.
    Legal Eagle and FF22 like this.
    07-25-13 09:59 PM
    Install Google Maps and ShortcutMe. Very nice.
    07-26-13 11:24 PM
    I believe my company is outfitting me with a recycled 9930. Is there something I should be aware of since I will be a new first time bb user?

Sent from my Superphone using CB Forums mobile app
    07-28-13 07:30 AM
    So I have an iPhone 5 but got bored with it (strange right???) so I decided to eBay a 9930 and give it a try.
    I always wanted a BlackBerry for the qwerty and thought with the touchscreen it would be a nice balance.
    Im in love with this phone!!! It just feels much better in my hands; the typing is hands down amazing.
    I am waiting for Sprint to release the Q10 but in the mean time I will be using this phone.

I've been thinking of doing the same thing until the q10 comes out. Don't know if I should do it or not
    07-28-13 09:05 PM
    I believe my company is outfitting me with a recycled 9930. Is there something I should be aware of since I will be a new first time bb user?

Sent from my Superphone using CB Forums mobile app
    A) THANK YOU to you guys for the tips

B) A few things to consider that will make you fall in love with the phone. Understand this phone is not an iPhone... It sounds silly but it helps you understand what the phone is primarily for. I don't care what anyone says... the iPhone is for those who love to play games and have a mobile toy. This is not a bad thing and it's why I am still a loyal iPad owner; I need an entertainment outlet and it suits me perfectly.
    The 9900/9930 is my communication tool. I can email, text, tweet, and update my Facebook status in a flash with the amazing QWERTY; it's a joy to my fingers to type on this machine. I will admit the camera is lacking and the app selection is nothing like iOS and Google Play but those devices distract me from communication; this just feels like a natural way to communicate.
    But, yes... If you want an iPhone don't get this as you will be disappointed. If you want an amazing keyboard and great social media integration then you may have found your new best friend
    Tech Idiot likes this.
    07-28-13 10:49 PM
    Agreed. I'm considering selling mine still for a QWERTY Android phone just because there are some apps that make life considerably easier. But in all honesty if I can't find a good deal, i'm just going to ride this baby out until it dies. You quite literally cannot beat this as a communication device, which is my primary use for a cell phone. Battery life is great and the screen is surprisingly gorgeous.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-28-13 11:40 PM
    Hi,

Shortcuts are a huge benefit of the keyboard - talk about getting around the phone quickly and efficiently!
    Tips and shortcuts - BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 Smartphones - User Guide - BlackBerry Bold Series - 7.0

Also, I know you can create shortcuts to dial people on Android phones, but I find it even easier to use the speed dial on the Blackberry since they're on the keyboard rather than the screen.

Bing has also has a maps app if you want to avoid Google stuff for any reason.

Welcome to the wonderful world of BlackBerry!

Heather
    WillKhalifa420 likes this.
    07-29-13 09:41 AM
    Glad you're loving your new Bold, and welcome You are right on point. We are BB people for a reason and non BB users don't seem to understand us. It's definitely a Blackberry thing. Haha. I almost never send emails through my computer anymore. The Bold's amazing physical keyboard is MY reason to remain with BB. This past Sunday, I mentioned to my SG3 and iPhone friends about how I write all of my emails from my phone, and they were in awe that I'm able to write lengthy and detailed emails without flinching. One of them even considered getting a Bold or Q10 just for that reason alone and keeping his SG3 for games and apps.

The Bold and Q10 ARE clearly communications devices. People knock on them because of the specs and the lack of apps, but again, those things aren't needed for a communications device. As OP mentioned, buy a tablet or iPad for your entertainment needs. I have a Playbook that I use strictly for entertainment and gaming. If you want an iPhone type, then the Z10 is a nice alternative. I'm a physical keyboard guy and I still make mistakes using touch screen phones, even though the Z10's virtual keyboard is pretty amazing. But if I need to shoot off a quick email with details or directions, I would much rather have a physical keyboard in those moments.

My next upgrade doesn't kick in until January 2014, and I'm considering getting a Q10 at that point, but for once, I'm ok with holding onto my 9930 until then because I love my 9930. Sure it has its shortcomings and videos sometimes don't load because of the lack of flash. But for me, it does what I need, and that is to communicate and be able to shoot off long emails/texts without having to go back and check for mistakes.
    Legal Eagle and andy957 like this.
    07-30-13 11:25 AM
    We are BB people for a reason and non BB users don't seem to understand us. It's definitely a Blackberry thing. .
    Sadly, with the design of the Q with no trackpad and row of buttons, even BB themselves don't seem to understand why we were BB users !!!
    07-30-13 11:44 AM
    just got a 9900 as well. the google maps app doesn't exist on their site anymore. i found a 2.3.2 jar package, but is that the most recent one? im am loving the smoothness of this phone. i just really wish there was a proper reddit reader, or news aggregator :P
    07-31-13 12:57 AM
    just got a 9900 as well. the google maps app doesn't exist on their site anymore. i found a 2.3.2 jar package, but is that the most recent one? im am loving the smoothness of this phone. i just really wish there was a proper reddit reader, or news aggregator :P
    I installed my Google maps by searching for it in Google and then I was able to send a download link to my email that is connected with my 9900, clicked the link and install Google maps. It was easy.
    07-31-13 02:53 AM

I fully agree with you. I love my Bold 9930. I was a Galaxy user for a short time and came back to Blackberry. I also have an Ipad for media, music,and playing gigs, etc...

The bold is the perfect size, weight, functionality and look. What a winner. I tried the Z10 before I switched to the bold. The z10 is just too big for my taste. Having been a 9560 bold user before the Z10, the Z and Q10 just dont integrate in a way that flows with my style. Though the Q10 keyboard rocks the universe, it doesnt have the trackpad??? Some people dont want to continually touch glass. My wife and I both love the Bold 9930 for the option of both. I will wait for about 2 more years before I even consider moving on to another BB model. The Bold is Beatiful!
    08-05-13 12:21 PM
    A) THANK YOU to you guys for the tips

B) A few things to consider that will make you fall in love with the phone. Understand this phone is not an iPhone... It sounds silly but it helps you understand what the phone is primarily for. I don't care what anyone says... the iPhone is for those who love to play games and have a mobile toy. This is not a bad thing and it's why I am still a loyal iPad owner; I need an entertainment outlet and it suits me perfectly.
    The 9900/9930 is my communication tool. I can email, text, tweet, and update my Facebook status in a flash with the amazing QWERTY; it's a joy to my fingers to type on this machine. I will admit the camera is lacking and the app selection is nothing like iOS and Google Play but those devices distract me from communication; this just feels like a natural way to communicate.
    But, yes... If you want an iPhone don't get this as you will be disappointed. If you want an amazing keyboard and great social media integration then you may have found your new best friend
    I'm sort of disappointed now. I received a Verizon BB9650 hand-me-down. The guy before me beat it all the heck up. Could anyone tell me something good about this model?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    08-05-13 12:45 PM
    Allow me to throw a few favorites out there

Depending on how you prefer to manage your personal finances, I personally ditched the paper register/ledger thing long ago. If you do the same or have ever thought about it, I recommend an app called Checkbook by a publisher called Vimutki Technologies. It's one of my most essential apps bar none, been using it for a couple years now. 100% reliable.

A good time killer to keep your typing skills top notch is a game called King Typist. Measures your wpm as well.

eOffice flashlight....obvious and useful.

Maratick is a perfect shopping list manager.
    luminosity6 likes this.
    08-05-13 03:45 PM
    Are you able to sideload Instagram on a bold 9930?
    10-01-13 03:04 PM
    Could anyone tell me something good about this model?

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    edit: sorry I thought this model had fm radio. No good news after all. :-(

On another note to those new to the 9900, don't forget it has a touch screen too. I sometimes forget to use the touch while I'm fiddling with the trackpad.
    10-01-13 07:44 PM
    I too, forgot to use the touch. After using both the track pad and touch screen, it is great. Best app I bought so far is Blacada. But on the Blackberry system, I have to pay for most of the same apps that are available for free on Android.

10-03-13 12:10 AM