I was reading my RSS as usual and I read this: Don�t drop your BlackBerry Bold� : Boy Genius Report

from the boygeniusreport

Don't drop your Bold!
    08-17-08 04:50 PM
    Oops! Sucks...
    08-17-08 04:56 PM
    So he was holding his bold in the same hand he was opening the car trunk with. Sounds a we bit careless, but I'm extra paranoid about dropping my blackberry. I don't want to find out if it's as sturdy as it appears to be lol
    08-17-08 05:22 PM
    Damn, I always drop my phones but usually get lucky.
    08-17-08 05:26 PM
    BG's post also talks about a September AT&T launch:

"AT&T release still looks like September…nothing changed yet. They still have issues with the radio code in terms of 2G and 3G hand-offs and switch overs. Even the latest Bold build gives me “Searching for network…” messages daily. And yes, purely cosmetic. Just didn’t think the Bold would go down like a sucka!"

He also mocks the width of the Bold:

"I have three skins for it! Black, white, and blue. It’s just that the Bold is as wide as Jennifer Lopez’s @$$ (mine changing - not his) without the skin on. Adding it brings it to a whole new level."

I too am a bit disappointed in the materials and apparent build quality of the Bold. I thought BB's were made to be tanks to hold up to careless execs that throw their BB's anywhere they want, yet keep on tickin'.

However, I still think I want a Bold over an iPhone. As much as the hardware might stand up to a bit more bruising than a Bold, I think the OS and feature-set on the Bold are more important. I'll just get a skin and be done with it.
    Last edited by bgivnin; 08-17-08 at 05:30 PM.
    08-17-08 05:27 PM
    Oh Boo Hoo! The phone hit CONCRETE not a plush carpet!
    It's not indestructible; so to make so much out of the damage is laughable at best.
    It WASNT in a case, sleeve, or ziplock bag!
    Had it been protected in some fashion AND still substained this kind of damage, I'd feel bad- but I dont.
    08-17-08 05:37 PM
    Interesting site he mentions for spares though - have a look here.
    08-17-08 06:00 PM
    Has anyone bought stuff from that page? I don't know if it's RIM geniune? how did they get those parts? I'm afraid it will crash my device
    08-17-08 09:23 PM
    Has anyone bought stuff from that page? I don't know if it's RIM geniune? how did they get those parts? I'm afraid it will crash my device
    I was wondering the same thing. That appears to be a Hong Kong based website/business. Not that I have a problem with that... I've ordered from Play Asia before... but I'd still like to know if this is a safe site. Anyone?
    08-17-08 11:53 PM
    There is already a thread about this. But yeah, kind of cheap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-18-08 12:20 AM
    Yes many of us have. They're very reputible and I don't recall reading around here any dissatisfied customer stories.

08-18-08 12:29 AM
    There is already a thread about this. But yeah, kind of cheap.

Hi, can you direct me to that thread? I can't seem to find it, and I'm curious to know more...
    08-18-08 12:53 AM
    Hi, can you direct me to that thread? I can't seem to find it, and I'm curious to know more...

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/don...ur-bold-62605/
    08-18-08 12:57 AM

Thank you, Moderator, but I'm quite confused. This thread was started BEFORE the one you stated, and so I don't know why J_MC would state "There is already a thread about this". That thread was started afterwards....

Anyhoo...
    08-18-08 01:05 AM
    Damn, to say the Bold isn't made very well because it sustained damage when dropped onto concrete? Forgive me, but isn't concrete a little stronger than the outer shell of most portable electronic devices?

I'm still getting a Bold. However, my 3G iPhone has gathered enough dust that it might be worthwhile trying the same, er, experiement...my office is on the fourth floor.
    08-18-08 02:25 AM
    it looks as though Kevin's going to be selling alot of cases. Oh well, totally worth it though.
    08-18-08 03:36 AM
    Well my had an IPhone for about a year and it was the toughest device I have ever had. I dropped it multiple times on concrete from ear level as well as had it fall out my my backpack whilke riding a bike to campus. After a year of drops all it had was a tiny scratch by the headphone jack.

08-18-08 05:30 AM
    Damn, to say the Bold isn't made very well because it sustained damage when dropped onto concrete? Forgive me, but isn't concrete a little stronger than the outer shell of most portable electronic devices?

I'm still getting a Bold. However, my 3G iPhone has gathered enough dust that it might be worthwhile trying the same, er, experiement...my office is on the fourth floor.
    That's the same point I made. I don't get the uproar. Its like ppl want to dismiss the fact that it was dropped to concrete and act like the phone is poorly constructed. That's just ridiculous. Add to the fact that the phone was even protected inside of anything such as a case. I swear, anything makes headlines no matter how news related it ISN'T!

08-18-08 05:40 AM
    Well my had an IPhone for about a year and it was the toughest device I have ever had. I dropped it multiple times on concrete from ear level as well as had it fall out my my backpack whilke riding a bike to campus. After a year of drops all it had was a tiny scratch by the headphone jack.

This I don't believe. The material of the iPhone isn't all that for U to walk away with after multiple drops on concrete -w/A "tiny" scratch.

08-18-08 05:45 AM
    This I don't believe. The material of the iPhone isn't all that for U to walk away with after multiple drops on concrete -w/A "tiny" scratch.

I'm with you on that one Scandal. A guy at work has one and he dropped it and have a crack in the screen but it still works. It has no choice but to work because he didn't buy it through a carrier he bought it off the street and did a jailbreak on it. Needless to say, he's too cheap to get another at regular price. Also, can you say, NO INSURANCE!!
    08-18-08 06:03 AM

Have you seen the various "stress test" videos on YouTube of people (and companies) putting the iPhone (and iPhone 3G) through **** and back?

I watched both the iPhone 2G ( ) stress test videos made by PC World yesterday and although the iPhone 2G seemed to hold up better to drops than the 3G model, it seems that both versions of the iPhone can at least take a fall from 3+ feet up, onto concrete, and not split at its seam like the Bold did.

I'm not saying that phones shouldn't have protection on them (I'll be getting a skin for mine), but isn't it a BIT scary that one fall at around 3 feet can destroy the casing of a phone that's supposed to be a tank?
    08-18-08 08:33 AM
    I'm not saying that phones shouldn't have protection on them (I'll be getting a skin for mine), but isn't it a BIT scary that one fall at around 3 feet can destroy the casing of a phone that's supposed to be a tank?
    Is it supposed to be a tank?... that isn't my understanding of the Bold!
    08-18-08 08:44 AM
    The point I get from BoyGenius's site, is that the phone's housing actually cracked. If I dropped my phone (well, mine is wearing a skin) without a skin, I'd expect the screen to crack--if it fell face down--or to stop working. (My previous phone, Razr, the battery connector broke when I dropped it, but nothing more.)

But I, too, would be surprised that the housing *cracked*, and it appears to be some type of fiberglass or other material, not metal. That is what I get from the Boy Genius site.

fwiw,
    08-18-08 08:50 AM
    Is it supposed to be a tank?... that isn't my understanding of the Bold!
    To my understanding, most Berry's, until the Bold, have been rather sturdy to accidental bumps, drops and bruises.

I don't have one yet, so I'm only speaking of what I hear from other people and what I read from this site.
    08-18-08 08:50 AM
    The 8800 feels like it could take a few falls, not sure about the curve and havne't seen the bold yet.

This is pretty dissapointing to hear.

I have a n95 that I have dropped at least 10 times from 3 feet or more. All it has is a couple VERY small dings. These drops include a couple kicks across concrete.

I also had the iphone for around a week and managed to drop it in that timeframe from about 3 feet. Barely had any damage in its top corner.

Looks like a few people will be changing their minds about the bold.
    08-18-08 11:02 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD