07-24-11 01:49 PM
74 123
tools
    This is a hardware problem.

I had this problem when I had a white 9780 and it started doing it with every single button very frequently.

I contacted RIM and asked and they said it is a hardware problem and updating firmware will not fix the problem.

I sold the white one then got a black one, and it seems fine until now.

So if you still have store exchange warranty, get it replaced. Some stores will not exchange to new one for such a minor problem, they will simply tell you it's a software problem, so you have to hustle them.
    Are you located in the U.S.? Why would they make you sell your defective phone if they acknowledged over the phone it was a hardware problem?
    12-22-10 10:46 AM
    Are you located in the U.S.? Why would they make you sell your defective phone if they acknowledged over the phone it was a hardware problem?
    No I'm in Canada.

I sold the phone to friend of mine who did not mind the duplicate issue.

Obviously I sold it way less than what I paid for.

I went to official RIM website forum and asked there.

They said it was a hardware problem and my only choice was either get manufacturer's warranty or store warranty.

I bought the phone on eBay, so I could not get the manufacturer's warranty.
    12-22-10 10:56 AM
    No I'm in Canada.

I sold the phone to friend of mine who did not mind the duplicate issue.

Obviously I sold it way less than what I paid for.

They said it was a hardware problem and my only choice was either get manufacturer's warranty or store warranty.

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification....

I was noticing the duplicate key entries last night (just got my phone) with the keypad speed set to FAST... Changed it to Medium-Fast and have not had the problem resurface yet. If it happens as infrequently as some users are experiencing (once or twice a day after regular use), I don't think that's enough of an issue for me to take any action with my carrier (T-Mobile).
    12-22-10 11:20 AM
    So the keypad double input issue isn't just confined to the character keys... Today I was typing out an email and hit the Blackberry Key to attach a picture, and all of a sudden my email was SENT... So it inputted twice because it defaults to the SEND selection the first time you hit it. I know I didn't press the keypad too long or else it would have toggled my other icons... Pretty annoying when it happens in that fashion because I had to send 2 emails to the recipient as a result.

Has anyone had any luck exchanging their phones and getting one that doesn't have this issue? I worry about getting another phone and experiencing the same thing, if RIM hasn't addressed it with subsequent builds.... I'm also reading about people having issues with loose trackpads and my trackpack is just fine on my current phone, so I worry about exchanging for another device that may have other ailment(s).... I also spent $15 + $5 on shipping for a screen protector that I cannot re-apply to a new phone, so I don't want to necessary spend another $20 on that if I'm going to get another phone with this issue.... I would be much more confident exchanging my phone knowing there would be a good likelihood that I would not get one with this issue...

For now I am going to switch my keypad rate back down to Normal and see if that has any affect on the problem.
    Last edited by wolfgaze; 12-27-10 at 04:32 PM.
    12-27-10 04:20 PM

Can you direct me to that post for reference? Might by handy to print that out and show my local T-Mobile retail location should they give me the run around if I decide to go in and try and exchange my phone.
    12-27-10 04:22 PM
    Has anyone had any luck exchanging their phones and getting one that doesn't have this issue?
    I called up Rogers about the issue and they sent up a new unit to me. I've been using that one for about a week now, and I haven't had any double keypresses. Might be worth it to try for a new one.
    12-27-10 05:38 PM
    I called up Rogers about the issue and they sent up a new unit to me. I've been using that one for about a week now, and I haven't had any double keypresses. Might be worth it to try for a new one.
    How bad was it on your original phone?
    12-27-10 07:06 PM
    How bad was it on your original phone?
    Not terrible. I got the issue maybe once a day, sometimes twice. It wasn't a huge deal, but I called Rogers anyways. They asked me to reinstall the OS software and to see if that helped, I told them that I already did and it didn't help, so they sent me a new phone.
    12-28-10 12:06 PM
    Ok, I had the key repeat problem too and it drove me nuts!

Took the first phone back to TMobile, got another one, same fuking problem.

After a couple of weeks and no improvements, called TMobile customer care ans they sent me out a new one right away. No more problem.

It is definately a hardware issue. This keypad feels so much better than the other two. The keys were squishy and less clicky than this one. This keypad is much better.

If you have this problem, don't waste anymore time backing up to correct double-letter typos. Call your carrier and get another phone immediately.

I'm glad that problem is over. I can enjoy my new blaxckberry now!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-10 01:59 AM
    i don't think it is a hardware problem. I've seen this on different blackberries also, not just the 9780.

it's gotta be some sort of systemic bug that RIM has never really solved, but some how it rears its ugly head every once in a while.
    01-02-11 10:38 PM
    Another one here with the same problem. Happens a few times a day, not a huge deal, but annoying. Did it out of the box with .285 and still with .359
    01-03-11 12:48 AM
    I have this issue and am tempted on calling up for a new phone but its a pain in the *** having to set up the phone all over again w my settings and apps especially when I don't have a computer to make it easier to re-load everything

01-03-11 09:12 AM
    I'm now able to reproduce this problem pretty much at will, at least with the space bar. If I press it gently, or hesitantly, it appears to operate twice: once on the way down and once upon release. Pressing the space bar firmly never results in a double entry. I seldom see this on anything other than the space bar, if ever. I'd say it is indeed a hardware issue. I don't know the physical mechanism of these keys, but it seems that they spring tension is such that a less-than-firm press puts the contacts close enough that the circuit sometimes closes more than once. Maybe a design issue?
    01-03-11 10:01 AM
    I had a same problem with keypad 9780
    but I already change with keypad dome 9700
    and
    the problem solved
    01-03-11 11:53 AM
    I haven't yet decided whether to do an exchange yet. It's hard to estimate the probability of getting another with the same problem. It's not severe, but enough to be annoying.
    01-04-11 09:13 AM
    I am willing to bet it is a hardware issue. I believe that a certain lot of these phones (my previous two came from Mexico 4, current is Mexico 1) has "bad" contact mechanisms on the keyboard which falls outside the correctional capabilities of the hardware de-bouncing circuit, if there even is one (for you fellow hardware engineers).

With no hassle at all, T-Mobile surprised me with a new phone next-day (I only paid for 3-day shipping) and the problem is GONE! The tactile response on this keyboard feels much better (more clicky and less mushy).

The bottom line here is quit wasting your time, call TMO and GET ANOTHER PHONE! I believe they ARE aware of this issue, even though they may not admit it on the phone when you call. I'm glad this problem is behind me....
    01-04-11 06:40 PM
    Well on a positive note, at least for me, it seems to be getting better. Seems to happen less and less every day. I also dropped the phone twice in one day, seems like it has been better since then. I suggest you all drop your phones from 4 feet onto concrete.

Unless mine gets worse, I'm not gonna risk sending it back just to get a replacement with worse hardware. And this 9780 is a week old warranty replacement for my old 9700.
    01-05-11 12:29 AM
    I have this issue as well and it happens so infrequently that I'm not really convinced it is a hardware problem. It occurs with well, any key and maybe once or twice a day with lots of typing.

If it were a hardware problem, I'd expect it to be more consistent and occurring at a greater frequency.
    I have it like described here. Nothing that's too upsetting if you ask me. Hopefully for those suffering from it more, it is just a software bug that can be fixed in a later os release.

01-05-11 02:12 AM
    I seriously doubt that it's a software issue. But since, in my case, it's not that big a problem (yet), I'll wait for the next OS leak and see if that effects it in any way, before requesting a handset exchange. It's wishful thinking to suppose that this will have any effect, but at least it's harmless wishful thinking!
    01-05-11 09:42 AM
    Just got a T-Mobile black 9780 and I'm noticing a repeated e sometimes.
    01-05-11 10:15 AM
    Man this issue really screws with you! I wish it happened all the time so you wouldn't be on the fence with what to do...

I purchased my phone via T-Mobile Customer Service, how would they go about sending me a replacement? Charge me for the replacement and then ask me to ship the defective one back for credit?

Can I just go into a T-Mobile retail location and have them swap my phone out if I show them proof of purchase?
    01-05-11 01:34 PM
    Man this issue really screws with you! I wish it happened all the time so you wouldn't be on the fence with what to do...

I purchased my phone via T-Mobile Customer Service, how would they go about sending me a replacement? Charge me for the replacement and then ask me to ship the defective one back for credit?

Can I just go into a T-Mobile retail location and have them swap my phone out if I show them proof of purchase?
    i believe it is at the store manager's discretion whether or not to swap ur phone out, after a issue with my previous phone he actually went to the back to check and see if they had one to give me on the spot.
    01-05-11 02:26 PM
    i believe it is at the store manager's discretion whether or not to swap ur phone out, after a issue with my previous phone he actually went to the back to check and see if they had one to give me on the spot.
    Since my phone was purchased over the phone, I need to go home and check my mail because they were supposed to mail me a receipt / proof of purchase. After I locate that I'm going to head over to my local store and see if they can help me out I think... See if I can test my replacement phone with some typing before I leave the store. Really a shame that this issue has surfaced because aside from that, I love everything about this phone and I'm not having any other problems.
    01-05-11 04:25 PM
    Just call TMO cust care 18008662453. They will ship a new one and give u ups label to return old one in same box. So you are not without a phone. My TMO store would not swap a 3rd phone, so directed me to cust care. They were pleasant to deal with on the phone. Good luck!

01-06-11 04:58 AM
    Just call TMO cust care 18008662453. They will ship a new one and give u ups label to return old one in same box. So you are not without a phone. My TMO store would not swap a 3rd phone, so directed me to cust care. They were pleasant to deal with on the phone. Good luck!

I'm assuming they are billing you for each replacement phone?
    01-06-11 11:54 AM
74 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD