I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Bold 9900, but since AT&T is taking their sweet time, I stopped by a Verizon store today to check out the 9930. Not that I'm going to switch, it was just the only place I could get my hands on one locally.

I loved everything about that phone, but I was very surprised by the keyboard..... and not in a good way. Every review I've read said the 9900 keyboard was the greatest thing ever, so I was expecting a lot. Frankly, I was unexpectedly disappointed. The size, feel, and design were terrific, but the keys just felt "soft". There was a bit of a click to them, but it took very little pressure to engage them. So much so that even the slightest mis-hit pressed surrounding keys as well. I was getting a lot of extra characters popping up.

I should point out I'm not new to BB keyboards. I'm fairly proficient with the Bold 9000 and 9700, and the Torch 9800. While they all take a little getting used to, there's a solid click to each one, and extra characters don't happen that much. I was hoping for a good, firm feel with the 9930 and just didn't get it.

I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had a similar experience with either the 9930 or the 9900. (I'm assuming it's the same hardware) As much love as the 9900 keyboard has received, I can hardly believe I'm saying that based on today's experience, I like my Torch keyboard better.

Please tell me I got a lemon and I'm wrong. If not, the low priced 9810 is looking better to me.
    08-22-11 08:01 PM
    Its a rare kind of soft... Rare like a unicorn...
    citystars41 likes this.
    08-22-11 08:05 PM
    The demo I tried at Sprint today was also like that... Curve series has more resistance than the one I tried.
    08-22-11 08:10 PM
    I've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Bold 9900, but since AT&T is taking their sweet time, I stopped by a Verizon store today to check out the 9930. Not that I'm going to switch, it was just the only place I could get my hands on one locally.

I loved everything about that phone, but I was very surprised by the keyboard..... and not in a good way. Every review I've read said the 9900 keyboard was the greatest thing ever, so I was expecting a lot. Frankly, I was unexpectedly disappointed. The size, feel, and design were terrific, but the keys just felt "soft". There was a bit of a click to them, but it took very little pressure to engage them. So much so that even the slightest mis-hit pressed surrounding keys as well. I was getting a lot of extra characters popping up.

I should point out I'm not new to BB keyboards. I'm fairly proficient with the Bold 9000 and 9700, and the Torch 9800. While they all take a little getting used to, there's a solid click to each one, and extra characters don't happen that much. I was hoping for a good, firm feel with the 9930 and just didn't get it.

I guess I'm asking if anyone else has had a similar experience with either the 9930 or the 9900. (I'm assuming it's the same hardware) As much love as the 9900 keyboard has received, I can hardly believe I'm saying that based on today's experience, I like my Torch keyboard better.

Please tell me I got a lemon and I'm wrong. If not, the low priced 9810 is looking better to me.
    The keyboard is awesome! You can fly thru emails and messages on this phone. you will love it! it is by far the best communication device ever!
    CaraP likes this.
    08-22-11 08:31 PM
    the keyboard has been praised.but people thought the 9810 was going to be a downer but hey it turned out all right.lot of happy customers with the 9810.just check out that thread and you will see.
    08-22-11 08:34 PM

i noticed it too today but i didnt see it as a problem until i saw this your post. is the soft keyboard a bad sign? will it not last like that of bold 1

another thing i noticed is that the keyboard buttons are not as "sharp-tooth" as that of bold 1.
    08-22-11 08:41 PM
    The key do have a click to them but typing on it is a joy? By far the best keyboard to date on any blackberry. All around the phone is a solid device and is a much needed breath of fresh air fir RIM.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-22-11 08:46 PM
    It is really soft. I like it though, I type faster and more accurately. Its almost like typing on the surepress Storm2 keyboard (which I was good at typing on).

Had to type something on my dad's Tour and felt that I wasn't pushing the keys down at all. I really had to push down! Also, when I put my 9650 down and started typing on my 9930 when I first got it I kinda paused for a second or two and really felt the difference. I really liked the feeling though!
    08-22-11 08:46 PM
    You call it soft, I call it buttery.
    08-22-11 08:47 PM
    Different strokes for different folks. Unfortunately there will never be something that will satisfy everybody. But hopefully the keyboard on the 9810 works out for you.
    08-22-11 08:51 PM
    It does feel "soft" almost fragile to me as well but maybe the thinness of it also has something to do with it. I came from a tour and switching back and forth the Tour had such a firm keyboard in comparison.

Having said that I luuuuuh the 9900 keyboard, I can type very fast..faster than ever before I think lol
    08-22-11 08:59 PM
    You call it soft, I call it buttery.
    buttery !!!

but ilike it though..feels so "velvety"
    08-22-11 09:06 PM
    I think if I had to alter the feel of my 9000 keyboard it would be a tad bit softer. As long as you get a good positive feedback from a key press I would go with it and enjoy it.

08-22-11 09:08 PM
    It is soft, but then many blackberry keyboards were too hard :-p

It's perfection. I can type on it almost as quickly as I would on a desktop keyboard. I can't believe how fast I can be with this thing.
    08-22-11 09:11 PM
    yea, my typing speed has increased considerably and my fingers dont even pain me. i guess that's as a result of the soft keys.
    08-22-11 09:17 PM
    Its a rare kind of soft... Rare like a unicorn...
    Lololol. Good stuff.
    08-22-11 09:23 PM
    Coming from my 9800, I thought it soft but in a good way. It took me a couple emails and bbms to get use to it and am now loving it. I pick up my 9800 to play around with and it's not even close, and I use to love that keyboard. This is by far the best out there.

08-22-11 10:01 PM
    the 9900 keyboard is perfect... the best so far.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-22-11 10:10 PM
    it feels spongy to me... plasticy. that my only gripe.
    08-22-11 10:19 PM
    Best Blackberry keyboard ever IMO.
    ADGrant likes this.
    08-22-11 10:37 PM
    I am on AT&T and can now get the Torch 9810 for $30 from BestBuy. I was tempted until I tried the keyboard on the 9900 at the Sprint store.
    08-23-11 08:50 AM
    The keyboard is absolute perfection IMO.
    anon(2254645) likes this.
    08-23-11 09:00 AM
    i like the keyboard, the best blackberry ever...different strokes for different folks, best to pick one that suits you..i can't put this thing down, such a joy to touch to see and to use..

08-23-11 09:01 AM
    Ok so it feels soft.

Are you able to type on it? And how well can you type on it?

08-23-11 09:26 AM
    I found that my keyboard make a wired sound when I type, like a plastic bending sound and Telus told me it is normal. I testing several other 9900s (I work in mobile) and they all make that wired plastic sound. I don't like that. It is kind of too loud compared to 9700 and 9780.
    08-23-11 09:32 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD