First everyone said the Onyx was the Bold replacement ("Bold 2"). Then that idea fell through and it was said the Onyx is it's own model and that a true Bold 2 would be on it's way.

NOW it seems RIM is now placing the names of the device on the back of each model above the battery door (i.e. 8520 says "Curve" above it's battery door) and I saw a pic of the back of an Onyx and it said "Bold".

What is going on here?

Not to mention the Onyx was once 9020 and then magically they decide to drop that for 9700.
    08-13-09 09:13 PM
    i dont know why this is so hard for people to understand. the onyx is not the replacement. the onyx is in the same line as the bold just like there are 3 different curves. i would not be surprised if more phones, lets just say for arguement sake the magnum/dakota, came out under the name bold.
    08-13-09 09:26 PM
    The final design has not yet been decided on. Therefore the Onyx could or could not go to market with "Bold" stamped on the back. Also keep in mind that the "Bold" was put on the device before the 9700 series change.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-09 09:31 PM
    I don't know why we wrap so much around what phone this is going to replace. I care about what is on the inside and how it will perform. Bold, curve or some other monster itself. If this phone is on my carrier and it performs better than all the other BB out there I am getting it.

08-13-09 09:39 PM
    ^ i care about what phone it will replace as i dont like to have 5 million phones. So if this is the bold replacement then great, if not, and the half touch half keypad thing is, then id get this because i would not want a touchscreen.

So if the Bold 2 is touchscreen, then id get this instead. So what is it?

Also, i just got the bold, so if theres something with the same form factor as the onyx but much better id wait for that....
    Last edited by billybobjones; 08-13-09 at 11:09 PM.
    08-13-09 11:05 PM
    i dont know why this is so hard for people to understand. the onyx is not the replacement. the onyx is in the same line as the bold just like there are 3 different curves. i would not be surprised if more phones, lets just say for arguement sake the magnum/dakota, came out under the name bold.
    hahaha so hard to understand you cant even get it right. There are not 3 different types of curves. There's the curve 1. curve 2(8900) then the curve 1 replacement. yes 3 different devices but the curve 1(8520) is replacing the original which means all production will stop for the original curve soon. the 8520 is a low end device. The onyx is indeed the bold 2.
    08-13-09 11:19 PM
    ^^^^^^^sounds like 3 different curve devices to me sir. true, the 8900 replaces the 83xx, but there are still 3 models being sold right now.
    08-14-09 01:14 AM
    @ CX is that a hint?
    08-14-09 01:16 AM
    RIM has done a horrible job of managing their product line.

For starters, they should drop the numbers from the names.
    Then they should eliminate all but 1 curve, and just sell:
    Pearl, Curve, Bold. And discontinue all the other **** like flip pearl, tour, etc, etc, etc.

Three phones.

And when they get old. Replace them with an amazing updated model... simultaneously. Boom!

I like the devices, but they seem like wacky company.
    08-14-09 03:53 AM
    @ CX is that a hint?
    As people from the Pentagon would respond, "we can neither deny, nor confirm" this is a hint
    08-14-09 04:35 AM
    RIM has done a horrible job of managing their product line.

For starters, they should drop the numbers from the names.
    Then they should eliminate all but 1 curve, and just sell:
    Pearl, Curve, Bold. And discontinue all the other **** like flip pearl, tour, etc, etc, etc.

Three phones.

And when they get old. Replace them with an amazing updated model... simultaneously. Boom!

I like the devices, but they seem like wacky company.
    You sir, don't understand business.

Why on Earth would RIM ditch numbered phones when they have had them since their earliest devices aka RIM 950, etc...??

And the reason they offer so many phones is variety. No different than Sony or Samsung offering 8 different models of televisions at the same sizes. Or Ford showing off like 4-5 different sedans in different sizings.

1 size doesn't fit all when it comes to blackberry.

For teens and kids who only care about multimedia such as music or texting, they could care less about 3G or push email or something.

For business users who are more inclined towards the email, pin messaging, BES aspects, they could care less about songs etc...

As for whether or not they have too many devices, they gave flagship Bold with all the features, Curve 8900 (different key layout and size, no 3g), Storm (CDMA, Large touchscreen), Tour (CDMA, 3G, qwerty keyboard) and now Curve 8520 (touchpad, less features, cheap price), Pearl Flip (same great BB features, flip phone design) etc...

Those are what I consider their "current" lineup... 6 different phones that have different features and have different price points that cover almost every kind of user there is.

Sorry to any 83-series curve owners or 88-series owners out there, but tha's the truth.

If RIM was making bad choices, they wouldn't be having such good profits and growth.

The only qualm I have with them is that I feel as vigrous a pace with the competition in regards to OS/functionality. Though I'm hearing positive things regarding the future. Especially about them trying to have a built-in BB specific web browser ala Safari.
    Last edited by Madness87; 08-14-09 at 04:45 AM.
    08-14-09 04:42 AM
    So the Bold right now is the flagship. it stayed that way for years. is the onyx the new flagship for the next year or so? or whats the deal? or is it going to be that magnum touchscreen keyboard hybrid thing
    08-14-09 07:40 AM
    So the Bold right now is the flagship.
    people just say that because they own one
    08-14-09 08:32 AM
    No, they say that because it is true.
    08-14-09 09:06 AM
    I could care less if it is a Bold replacement or not. Or what the name of it is. It could be Bold P.O.S. and I will get it. It is what the features are.
    08-14-09 11:23 AM
    No they say that because it is true. The 9000 is RIM's flagship device. It has every feature offered and works on the fastest standard available. When it was launched it was touted as the flagshipe device, and no other device to this point has dethroned it.

08-14-09 11:47 AM
    I could care less if it is a Bold replacement or not. Or what the name of it is. It could be Bold P.O.S. and I will get it. It is what the features are.
    I agree!! I would not by a blackberry just because it is named Bold 2, Onyx, or whatever, I will buy based on how well it meets my needs.

If you are only interested in having the flagship, buy the Bold, and then buy it's replacement whatever it is, whenever it is released, and then get it's replacement, and so on.
    08-14-09 12:41 PM
    thats the thing... people say the bold replacement is the magnum and it has a touchscreen? can someone confirm this? because if this is true... ill pass and get the onyx instead. not a fan of touchscreens. or slide out keyboards. bad experience with a phone like that, do not want to repeat it.
    08-14-09 05:48 PM
    thats the thing... people say the bold replacement is the magnum and it has a touchscreen? can someone confirm this? because if this is true... ill pass and get the onyx instead. not a fan of touchscreens. or slide out keyboards. bad experience with a phone like that, do not want to repeat it.
    I'm not an expert but I believe the Magnum will be a Bold-esque device that will have a touchscreen with a qwerty keyboard at the bottom. Like it will have a bigger touchscreen for movement,browsing etc... and a qwerty keypad for fast text and email.
    08-15-09 01:36 AM
    No childeren if you can't say something nice then don't say anything at all! LOL

08-15-09 03:02 AM
    All these different Blackberry's confuse me, lol.

All I know, is that the Bold is the flagship phone for Blackberry.
    08-15-09 05:03 PM
    Blimey, so much fuss.

Who cares which replaces what, and what its called?
    All I care about is having the best possible device for my needs, I dont care if its called the Blackberry *****, if its the right one for me, I will buy it.

This is starting to sound like an Apple Forum lol
    must have the latest in the range, the MacBook super-woopiedoo-mega-wicked-air-really-pro..... replacing the non "really" pro!

Yawn.

Sorry I just had to say, CALM DOWN... its just a smart phone!
    08-16-09 06:58 AM
    People people people....if it replaces the bold fine..if it don't...fine... the real question is..is it going to be better than the bold...if it is...and from what i am hearing so far..it is...i am getting me one....gonna pop my cherry with the onyx....and join the bb world...
    08-16-09 08:57 AM
    Blimey, so much fuss.

Who cares which replaces what, and what its called?
    All I care about is having the best possible device for my needs, I dont care if its called the Blackberry *****, if its the right one for me, I will buy it.

This is starting to sound like an Apple Forum lol
    must have the latest in the range, the MacBook super-woopiedoo-mega-wicked-air-really-pro..... replacing the non "really" pro!

Yawn.

Sorry I just had to say, CALM DOWN... its just a smart phone!
    only the best suits my needs. Its about being faster and more efficient. maybe you buy a phone to have fun with and play videogames on it, but i do not.
    08-16-09 10:07 AM
    Well so far it has been stated everywhere i check that this will be the best blackberry has to offer at this point in time..so the best is where i am going to start....gonna be my first bb...and hopefully it will be years before they can come out with one better...
    08-19-09 06:56 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD