Hi,

on my bold I keep losing old emails and txt msgs. Currently it will not keep msgs older than one week. I had this problem before and i called tech support and they told me to do an OS reload and to not put all the apps back on. I did that about a month or so ago and i just noticed today that my msgs only go back one week. Is this some sort of low memory action? Today i also noticed my blackberry locked up and i had to do a battery pull...not sure if that had anything to do with it. Please help
    07-13-11 10:27 PM
    Hi,

on my bold I keep losing old emails and txt msgs. Currently it will not keep msgs older than one week. I had this problem before and i called tech support and they told me to do an OS reload and to not put all the apps back on. I did that about a month or so ago and i just noticed today that my msgs only go back one week. Is this some sort of low memory action? Today i also noticed my blackberry locked up and i had to do a battery pull...not sure if that had anything to do with it. Please help
    It may be connected to the messages settings. Have a look in the (please note: I am using different version the english, so the exact naming can vary): messages->options-> messages appearance and actions-> and here in the very bottom you will find the setting for how long to store the messages in the device.
    07-14-11 01:54 AM
    It may be connected to the messages settings. Have a look in the (please note: I am using different version the english, so the exact naming can vary): messages->options-> messages appearance and actions-> and here in the very bottom you will find the setting for how long to store the messages in the device.
    I have that setting set to FOREVER....
    07-14-11 07:23 AM
    Are the emails disappearing from your Email account itself, if not then you may have a memory problem on your Blackberry. How much free memory do you currently have?
    07-14-11 08:02 AM
    Are the emails disappearing from your Email account itself, if not then you may have a memory problem on your Blackberry. How much free memory do you currently have?
    No, they are just disappearing from my BB . FREE MEMORY - 37567772 Bytes.
    If it is a memory issue, how do I prevent that from happening?
    07-14-11 09:07 AM
    Well the memory seems fine, but as for the BB, this is a widely known issue that it sucks at retaining emails and stuff. Are the emails older or new emails that your losing? Are they from a particular email address on your BB. Like from a specific email account if you have more than 1. Have you cleared the Messages database to see if that resolved the issue? Are the emails from any one specific sender, or just random?

Also what device particular and what OS?
    07-14-11 09:14 AM
    I just noticed you stated your BB locked up and had to be hard set. I would recommend clearing the Messages DB, it may have gotten corrupted.
    07-14-11 09:15 AM
    Well the memory seems fine, but as for the BB, this is a widely known issue that it sucks at retaining emails and stuff. Are the emails older or new emails that your losing? Are they from a particular email address on your BB. Like from a specific email account if you have more than 1. Have you cleared the Messages database to see if that resolved the issue? Are the emails from any one specific sender, or just random?

Also what device particular and what OS?
    I'm losing older emails. All older emails from all 5 accounts. All the emails I have left are only a week old. It really sucks when you are trying to look up history on the go and you can't access the emails. How do I clear the messages DB?

Blackberry 9700
    OS 6.0 Bundle 1879 (v6.0.0.448, platform 6.6.0.124
    07-14-11 09:29 AM
    Attach your BB, open desktop manager, select Device->Delete Data->Selected Data->Messages AND Message List Options, uncheck "Backup Data..." and then select Delete. This will totally clear the messages DB and there will nothing left in it. Might also want to check "Purged Messages", this actually new to me. Not sure if it has any bearing on anything but looked interesting...

And afterwards make sure that you reset your message retention to forever again.
    07-14-11 09:37 AM
    Attach your BB, open desktop manager, select Device->Delete Data->Selected Data->Messages AND Message List Options, uncheck "Backup Data..." and then select Delete. This will totally clear the messages DB and there will nothing left in it. Might also want to check "Purged Messages", this actually new to me. Not sure if it has any bearing on anything but looked interesting...

And afterwards make sure that you reset your message retention to forever again.
    Will this delete all the messages currently on my BB?

Also when I had to do a battery pull the BB had frozen. Is there anyway to control the memory usage so it won't delete emails?
    07-14-11 09:47 AM
    Yes, that's why I mentioned "This will totally clear the messages DB and there will nothing left in it."

As for the second question there, you can remove any unneeded applications, themes and what not that might have memory leaks. RIM has a whole article about memory optimization, how recent it is I am not really sure, but it is a start.
    mikethorboers likes this.
    07-14-11 09:51 AM
    Yes, that's why I mentioned "This will totally clear the messages DB and there will nothing left in it."

As for the second question there, you can remove any unneeded applications, themes and what not that might have memory leaks. RIM has a whole article about memory optimization, how recent it is I am not really sure, but it is a start.
    There needs to be an app which synchronizes emails to the server, not delete them.

Thanks for your help
    07-14-11 09:56 AM
    Well the emails are on the server, so at least they can be referenced by remote search.

Sorry I did not have better news for you, but this has been discussed a lot and the answers are the same.
    07-14-11 10:12 AM
    That free memory is pretty low actually... only about 36mb

If you're using OS6 on a 9700, you need to shrink it first before installing. This will reduce any low memory issues. Messages are the first thing to go when that happens.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-14-11 10:35 AM
    That free memory is pretty low actually... only about 36mb

If you're using OS6 on a 9700, you need to shrink it first before installing. This will reduce any low memory issues. Messages are the first thing to go when that happens.

How would I shrink it before installing?
    07-14-11 10:51 AM
    How would I shrink it before installing?
    That's far too complicated to explain in a post... use the search button, and look for BB Boss

07-14-11 11:09 AM
    That's far too complicated to explain in a post... use the search button, and look for BB Boss

i will look into that
    07-14-11 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD