But it is what it is and no amount of "I'm going to pass on it" or comments about how wrong RIM is will change it.
    Just saying
    The great thing about the economy is that we as consumers speak with our wallets. And by looking at RIM's stock and their current marketshare, plenty have spoken loudly. As much as I love RIM and I want to see them come back, the 99XX only appeals to RIM loyalists. It's not really going to pull share from Android and Apple. Their decision to not put in a great AF camera and a sensor that can at least produce on the iPhone 4 level has lost them at least 2 sales from myself. Judging from all of the responses about the camera I've read on this forum it's also cost them at least a dozen sales if people weren't just talking out of their behind of it being a dealbreaker and them not buying it. It wont make RIM change the 99XX but you can bet they will hear consumers actions loud and clear and had better make sure to get it right with the next device.

I haven't taken more that 10 pic in the last 5 years.
    Judging by the figures I saw recently on the amount of photos being uploaded to FB, photo sites, etc from mobile devices, your phone camera use is not the norm. The fact is that more and more people are using their phone cameras to replace point and shoot cameras and are just using the capability more than in the past.
    pythons and anon(4021844) like this.
    08-14-11 12:10 AM
    Judging by the figures I saw recently on the amount of photos being uploaded to FB, photo sites, etc from mobile devices, your phone camera use is not the norm. The fact is that more and more people are using their phone cameras to replace point and shoot cameras and are just using the capability more than in the past.
    Plus, even if one doesn't take much pics (such as myself) knowing that you don't have the ability to in a flagship phone that you've paid a lot for does bother you.

And the moment where you would need to take a close shot of an object, paper, article, table, etc, will come one day and the user will be mad that his top of the line phone can't do such a basic thing at this time and age such as taking a decent photo
    08-14-11 01:49 AM
    Seems to me many people failed to read the specs and review before making their purchase. A bit of advice for you. If you the camera is the only factor you consider when deciding on a device then go buy a camera that has a phone attached. In this instance, you purchased a phone that just happens to have a camera built in. If you're not satisfied with it, take it back and quit crying about it. Over the past year or so, I've watched Crackberry go from a great site to get assistance for problems, share experiences to nothing more than a virtual daycare center for all the snot nosed, whining cry babies. Oh it doesn't do this, it doesn't have a million pixil camera, it doesn't have satlite tv built in. It can't walk my dog. Shut up already.
    08-14-11 08:48 AM
    Over the past year or so, I've watched Crackberry go from a great site to get assistance for problems, share experiences to nothing more than a virtual daycare center for all the snot nosed, whining cry babies. Oh it doesn't do this, it doesn't have a million pixil camera, it doesn't have satlite tv built in. It can't walk my dog. Shut up already.
    a sad but true sentiment
    08-14-11 09:02 AM
    Seems to me many people failed to read the specs and review before making their purchase. A bit of advice for you. If you the camera is the only factor you consider when deciding on a device then go buy a camera that has a phone attached. In this instance, you purchased a phone that just happens to have a camera built in. If you're not satisfied with it, take it back and quit crying about it. Over the past year or so, I've watched Crackberry go from a great site to get assistance for problems, share experiences to nothing more than a virtual daycare center for all the snot nosed, whining cry babies. Oh it doesn't do this, it doesn't have a million pixil camera, it doesn't have satlite tv built in. It can't walk my dog. Shut up already.
    Well, as blackberry continues to strand those in the business community that's still using them I'm sure you will continue hearing 'crying'. Look, I've never complained about pixil count or sat t.v. or anything like that. I just wanted a functional camera in my phone like I do with my 2 year old blackberry.

So, if you don't like dealing with the fact RIM sheIte the bed with it's selection of camera on it's flagship - and you don't want to be part of the solution.... You can simply identify the threads that call out RIM on things it's done wrong and instead of participating in them go back to watching cartoons or whatever else blows your dress up.
    JoJoCal19 likes this.
    08-14-11 09:24 AM
    Expectation changes. nokia e7 went edof camera, similar comments from symbian folks. Recent android lost notification led, similar complaints from android folks.
    9900 would not come out without competition pressure- we will be using bold 9000 by now.
    As for the camera, I found my torch 1 camera as a very good one, why would I settle for anything less on newer device?
    Of course most people dont bother about processor speed, camera, applications, or anything else. Can probably survive using bold 8830 until 2015.
    JoJoCal19 likes this.
    08-14-11 09:29 AM
    Expectation changes. nokia e7 went edof camera, similar comments from symbian folks. Recent android lost notification led, similar complaints from android folks.
    9900 would not come out without competition pressure- we will be using bold 9000 by now.
    As for the camera, I found my torch 1 camera as a very good one, why would I settle for anything less on newer device?
    Of course most people dont bother about processor speed, camera, applications, or anything else. Can probably survive using bold 8830 until 2015.
    What you say is true and if I didn't want to save more time in my day I would continue to stick with my Bold 9650 as it takes functional ( actually very good ) work related pictures.

If the majority of current blackberry customers do what you are thinking of ( just waiting until 2013 ) or what it looks like I will do ( move to another Mfg of smartphone ) RIM's stock will be around $8.00 a share and the company will be eaten up by another company who is serious about making smartphones for the future.
    08-14-11 10:57 AM
    Listen, it’s a new camera and just one part of a vastly improved phone. EDoF cameras have distinct advantages in some areas while at the same time lacking in others, it’s an unfortunate and inevitable tradeoff. The fact remains, some will embrace its attributes and others will just continue to bit*h.

This said, if you need to capture quality photos of A4 documents or business cards, this type of camera you’ll surly find lacking. However, for the vast majority of users (business and personal alike) will find EDoF cameras better suited to their photo clicking needs.
    UrbanGlowCam likes this.
    08-14-11 01:33 PM
    Listen, it�s a new camera and just one part of a vastly improved phone. EDoF cameras have distinct advantages in some areas while at the same time lacking in others, it�s an unfortunate and inevitable tradeoff. The fact remains, some will embrace its attributes and others will just continue to bit*h.

This said, if you need to capture quality photos of A4 documents or business cards, this type of camera you�ll surly find lacking. However, for the vast majority of users (business and personal alike) will find EDoF cameras better suited to their photo clicking needs.
    What advantages? That one 1 advantage that it takes the photo instantly rather than after 0.5 seconds? No thank you, Ill wait for 0.5s if that's gonna give me a crisp image.

Even the far away pics that Kevin posted look less vibrant in color than the AF ones. So I see 0 advantage really other than taking a perfectly functional camera, and killing it completely with an expirement from RIM (ok, lets try EDoF cams and see how well it goes)
    08-14-11 01:44 PM
    pick and chose your battles. no phone has everything. NONE.
    08-14-11 01:46 PM
    pick and chose your battles. no phone has everything. NONE.
    And evidently some of them have even less than the phones they replaced....
    ...That isn't in the least bit "odd"? LOL!
    08-14-11 01:54 PM
    not odd...just false. not everyone buys a cell phone for a camera! especially BB users. NO phone has a better keyboard than this phone. this is a new phone, not a replacement. none of them combine a touch screen and the best keyboard on the market.

that said, it's still a major upgrade.

complaining about the camera really says alot about the type of consumer a person is. perhaps they are not a blackberry person. there are plenty of toys out there with GREAT cameras. have fun.

the op's rant on here is old and this thread needs to be closed.

And evidently some of them have even less than the phones they replaced....
    ...That isn't in the least bit "odd"? LOL!
    08-14-11 03:22 PM
    Listen, it�s a new camera and just one part of a vastly improved phone. EDoF cameras have distinct advantages in some areas while at the same time lacking in others, it�s an unfortunate and inevitable tradeoff. The fact remains, some will embrace its attributes and others will just continue to bit*h.

This said, if you need to capture quality photos of A4 documents or business cards, this type of camera you�ll surly find lacking. However, for the vast majority of users (business and personal alike) will find EDoF cameras better suited to their photo clicking needs.
    I could not agree with this more. People fail to realize this. I think the ability to snap pictures instantly in succession is amazing. Such an improvement over my 9550. It's a shame we can't use autofocus but there are still several advantages. Time to move on....
    08-14-11 03:24 PM
    What you say is true and if I didn't want to save more time in my day I would continue to stick with my Bold 9650 as it takes functional ( actually very good ) work related pictures.

If the majority of current blackberry customers do what you are thinking of ( just waiting until 2013 ) or what it looks like I will do ( move to another Mfg of smartphone ) RIM's stock will be around $8.00 a share and the company will be eaten up by another company who is serious about making smartphones for the future.
    Maybe you should stay with your 9650 - at least you'd stop whining about the damn camera. Jesus H. Christ. Either buy or don't - it's still gonna have the same camera it in tomorrow.....and the next day.....and the day after that.
    OniBerry likes this.
    08-14-11 03:30 PM
    Is it not obvious that pythons is a troll? No one in their right mind would be so hung up on a phone’s camera. Oh… maybe I’m onto something…
    Last edited by s.ben; 08-14-11 at 03:33 PM.
    08-14-11 03:31 PM
    not odd...just false. not everyone buys a cell phone for a camera! especially BB users.
    So now it's just a "phone" ehh? What happened to it being a "smartphone"?
    ...No one buys a smartphone expecting it's just a phone.
    ...Given the facts I can apprecaite you attempting to push this new concept.

NO phone has a better keyboard than this phone.
    100% in agreement with you on that!
    ...Blackberry has ALWAYS had that going for it.
    ...And again, blackberry is ( or at least was ) a "smartphone", not just a phone.

this is a new phone, not a replacement. none of them combine a touch screen and the best keyboard on the market.
    This "SMARTPHONE" supercedes the smartphone which proceded it ( the bold 9780 )...
    ...Therefore the intention of RIM was to REPLACE their Flagship Bold 9780 with the new Flagship 9900 / 30.
    ....That equates to a replacement.

that said, it's still a major upgrade.
    It's faster, has some new features which are very attractive which evidently came at the cost of it being a practical smartphone for "business". But yeah, if we were talking phones this would have to be the best PHONE currently on the planet.

complaining about the camera really says alot about the type of consumer a person is. perhaps they are not a blackberry person. there are plenty of toys out there with GREAT cameras. have fun. you are clearly posting in the wrong thread.

the op's rant on here is old and this thread needs to be closed.
    Having the ability to capture a work related document and turn it into a .pdf is a function of a toy in your view? My blackberry 9650 does that very well and given that "business apps" are not created for 1% of the population - that alone repudiates your premise and established it false.

That app was created for blackberry's and designed to be used in business. The 9900 is UNABLE to use that app because of it's Fisher-Price toy camera. So, you might want to validate what you are using as an analogy prior to talking about "toys".
    Last edited by pythons; 08-14-11 at 03:41 PM.
    08-14-11 03:39 PM
    Is it not obvious that pythons is a troll? No one in their right mind would be so hung up on a phone’s camera. Oh… maybe I’m onto something…
    Maybe because the difference between an Auto Focus Pic and a non Auto Focused pic is earth shattering? He has every right to be mad when you take the following into consideration:

Pic Taken with a 9780 of a legal document, my hand was stable as a rock with no motion at all:

Auto Focus Off:

Auto Focus On:

I don't need a top of the line camera that is an 8 MP and takes professional photography camera, I just need a camera that can take a few text pics when needed.
    Last edited by technology-fanboy; 08-14-11 at 03:45 PM.
    pythons and aNYthing24 like this.
    08-14-11 03:39 PM
    Nice try - Blackberry is NOT a phone, it's a SMARTPHONE...
    ... A troll I'm not but I can understand why you would desire I was....
    ...Along with the other people here who refuse to look at the facts of this disaster.
    Last edited by pythons; 08-14-11 at 03:46 PM.
    08-14-11 03:43 PM
    Maybe because the difference between an Auto Focus Pic and a non Auto Focused pic is earth shattering? He has every right to be mad when you take the following into consideration:

Pic Taken with a 9780 of a legal document, my hand was stable as a rock with no motion at all:

Auto Focus Off:

Auto Focus On:

I don't need a top of the line camera that is an 8 MP and takes professional photography camera, I just need a camera that can take a few text pics when needed.
    Now that is a text book illustration of what us "Trolls" have been talking about!
    08-14-11 03:44 PM
    Nice team you two make, but all to obvious.
    08-14-11 03:48 PM
    Team? Please, out of a billion users, you ought to find two sane people that can agree on about the same obvious mistake that RIM made. Why are you taking this so defensively as if we are targeting you directly?

We are stating pure true facts, not opinions, no friendship between us involved.

Stop trying to hide this flaw in RIM's decision, and be smart enough to agree to the fact, if all of us just closed our eyes on the above horrific pics and just said yeah great phone. Then that's all we're gonna get from future BlackBerry Smartphones!
    08-14-11 03:52 PM
    What advantages? That one 1 advantage that it takes the photo instantly rather than after 0.5 seconds? No thank you, Ill wait for 0.5s if that's gonna give me a crisp image.

Even the far away pics that Kevin posted look less vibrant in color than the AF ones. So I see 0 advantage really other than taking a perfectly functional camera, and killing it completely with an expirement from RIM (ok, lets try EDoF cams and see how well it goes)
    In ideal circumstances yes, AF gets better pictures but I can't tell you how many times I watched the autofocus settle on a crisp image yet after the shutter noise I'm presented with a blurry picture instead, either because I slightly moved or because the subject has moved.

And then the oportunaty has passed. I am a candid photo taker, I see it, I take the phone out and I snap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-14-11 04:11 PM
    In ideal circumstances yes, AF gets better pictures but I can't tell you how many times I watched the autofocus settle on a crisp image yet after the shutter noise I'm presented with a blurry picture instead, either because I slightly moved or because the subject has moved.

And then the oportunaty has passed. I am a candid photo taker, I see it, I take the phone out and I snap.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Would it PLEASE be possible for someone to simply DLthe pdf scanner from the blackberry app world and install it in their 9900 or 9930 and scan a typical size font document and post it. Given the other people who have done this were rejected I think it would be better if someone who has been in denial that the camera is that bad be the one to do it. Does that sound fair?

I think that would settle this once and for all and then perhaps we can get some actual input from RIM on what they intend doing about it.

Who says this issue can't be fixed? One thing is for sure and that's if RIM thinks only 1 or 2% of it's customers care about this issue they will do nothing at all.

Until RIM says sorry guys, you can't use the pdf scanner on the blackberry app world to make a pdf with your new Bold's this horse needs to continue to be beaten.

By raising the concern we are actually helping RIM from itself.
    08-14-11 04:18 PM
    Feel free to do a search in the Spint Forums about my VVM issue....
    ...I show up when justice needs a fighting chance and have no problem at all calling something out for what it is.
    08-14-11 04:28 PM
    Would it PLEASE be possible for someone to simply DLthe pdf scanner from the blackberry app world and install it in their 9900 or 9930 and scan a typical size font document and post it. Given the other people who have done this were rejected I think it would be better if someone who has been in denial that the camera is that bad be the one to do it. Does that sound fair?

I think that would settle this once and for all and then perhaps we can get some actual input from RIM on what they intend doing about it.

Who says this issue can't be fixed? One thing is for sure and that's if RIM thinks only 1 or 2% of it's customers care about this issue they will do nothing at all.

Until RIM says sorry guys, you can't use the pdf scanner on the blackberry app world to make a pdf with your new Bold's this horse needs to continue to be beaten.

By raising the concern we are actually helping RIM from itself.

I wonder if something like this can be used, trough the HD recording maybe, anyway, just something that came up in a google search. Seems ironic the same technology is used to get clear micro images.

08-14-11 04:34 PM
107 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD