Why would anyone want a virtual KB on a Bold 9900 touch screen? When would you ever use it instead of the physical KB? My opinion...never.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 06-08-11 at 06:10 PM.
    06-08-11 06:08 PM
    I perfectly understand this and that's what I was saying. Balsamic suddenly renamed it from 6.1 (thought 6.5) to 7 without much explanation, except it implied that there might be enough change to rename 6.1 to 7.

One thing I am not sure is if the OS7 is a precursor to the QNX. QNX requires a dual core for one thing, as I understand it. But if the OS7 is going to run on the QNX device, that's exactly was my concern, i.e, the OS7 is merely an UI piggybacked on the QNX, and there really is nothing revolutionary about running the QNX itself. All we see is the same old BB OS and a bit of improvement thereof. I do see a nature of the problem with the old BB OS, the multilayer hierarchical menu system (nothing wrong with it if well executed. I actually like this). But it is also a source of bloated software, prone to conflicts, freezes (i.e., battery pulls :-) etc.

Re "vicious cycle (or circle)" part, what I meant is that, watching the constant "leaks" of OS6 (for example (could be 5), it seems that RM fixes something but breaks something along the way, and try to fix it and the next leak shows something else is not working etc.

If this assumption is correct, I thought they should have pushed the 9900 out earlier without waiting for the OS7. QNX is touted as if it is a free standing separate UI too, which I do not think is not.

That was my point.
    QNX.....always a great concern/curiousity to many. Think of it this way. It can do anything.

Right now, OS's of any kind run their own OS and nothing more. QNX will allow multiple OS capabilities, not that RIM will do that, but what they CAN do is run apps from other companies OS, like Android on the PlayBook....GREAT idea.

Look at Mango for WP7. The deep integration of apps crossing into the core of the OS is pure genius....RIM will have the ability to take that even further by going outside of their ecosystem and integrate with considerably more than just RIM stuff.

Imagine being able to tie into your car's system....with your phone.....and having your phone be the hub for that, as well as it tying into your calendar.....and your mechanics database, so when a problem arises with your car, it can check your calendar for an available appointment, check with the mechanics calendar, suggest a time to stop by with the problem already in the meeting request...or the phone simply telling you what's wrong and suggesting that.

Take that thought process out to anything running QNX....that's the scope of QNX.

Honestly, RIM needs TONS of help with QNX, they really don't know what they have nor the ability to handle it internally.

Hire Stephen Elop away from Nokia. Things will get done.
    06-08-11 09:00 PM
    Why would anyone want a virtual KB on a Bold 9900 touch screen? When would you ever use it instead of the physical KB? My opinion...never.
    True, take a 9000 and see if you want a keyboard on the screen because that's what size it is. Not to mention the 9000 keyboard was the best keyboard a BlackBerry has ever (and probably will) have.
    06-08-11 10:58 PM
    Wish I was there! I'd have grabbed it and ran off! LOL
    Did you get a chance to try out the keyboard? How did it feel?
    Did he not say of any release dates?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    HAHA, i'll do the exactly the same thing as you--grabbed it and ran away quickly
    really a good stuff the bold 9900 is!
    06-09-11 02:44 AM
    why are you curious about that?
    with the touch screen and the qwerty kb, i don't think it will go with a virtual one
    06-09-11 02:46 AM
    06-09-11 02:50 AM
    I can tell you why. I am using 2 languages (Arabic and English) on the mobile. When I first bought the 9000 from Egypt, the 2 languages were engraved on the small buttons, so most of the keys has 3 characters on it, leading them to be very small and hard to read.
    With the Torch and as it has virtual KB which I use it for the Arabic, I bought my Torch from Europe with the English letters only engraved on the KB, making it very easy to see and use each language on a separate KB.

That is why I am asking ( and hoping) , so then I will buy my 9900 from Europe also.
    06-09-11 06:14 AM
    HAHA, i'll do the exactly the same thing as you--grabbed it and ran away quickly
    What good would a bricked 9900 be to me? Sure it would be a fancy paperweight but I'm sure as soon as it happened, he'd call it in as stolen and have the PIN blocked.
    06-09-11 11:57 AM
    What good would a bricked 9900 be to me? Sure it would be a fancy paperweight but I'm sure as soon as it happened, he'd call it in as stolen and have the PIN blocked.

Least you can say 'I've got a Bold 9900' it might not work fully but im sure most the features would work and I'd use my 9700 for BBM
    06-09-11 12:19 PM
    We should find someone who owns one, you distract him/her and then I'll grab it we'll have to share it somehow
    06-09-11 12:23 PM
    I also played with one. I love the keyboard. The increase in size (similar to a 9000) didn't bother me at all as the keys were even more easier to type, and I like, love, omg amazing feedback. It feels "confirmed" for each key...

The key cannot be distinguished from my 9700... the dpi already amazing on the 9700... when I load high-res image on 9900... its to the stage where my eye can no longer tell the quality ;3... a little but... yea!

The speed is nice too

I could go see the latest build :3 just that he lives in Waterloo and Greyhound-ing from Toronto every week to satisfy my 9900 craving just doesn't cut it ;;. I did ask him to pull a Gizmodo and just "forgot" his phone xD but that never happened
    06-09-11 01:48 PM
    I can tell you why. I am using 2 languages (Arabic and English) on the mobile. When I first bought the 9000 from Egypt, the 2 languages were engraved on the small buttons, so most of the keys has 3 characters on it, leading them to be very small and hard to read.
    With the Torch and as it has virtual KB which I use it for the Arabic, I bought my Torch from Europe with the English letters only engraved on the KB, making it very easy to see and use each language on a separate KB.

That is why I am asking ( and hoping) , so then I will buy my 9900 from Europe also.
    Good reason. Thanks for bring it to light.
    06-09-11 03:20 PM
    We should find someone who owns one, you distract him/her and then I'll grab it we'll have to share it somehow
    haha,such a briliant idea! Only one question: one bold 9900, two people~how to share?
    06-09-11 09:44 PM

i see! you seems to be a very thoughtful person. Very appreciated for sharing your story!
    06-09-11 09:47 PM
    Just saying that... you can sell the parts on ebay when people start looking for them and make a profit.
    06-09-11 09:51 PM
    haha,such a briliant idea! Only one question: one bold 9900, two people~how to share?
    I'll have it from Monday to mid Thurday, then you have it till Sunday
    Just until we can get it from a store

06-10-11 07:25 AM
    I'll have it from Monday to mid Thurday, then you have it till Sunday
    Just until we can get it from a store

coooooooooooooool~~~
    the last thing we should do is waiting for a man who processes the bold 9900 and it happenedly to show up in front of us~~~
    hahahah
    06-10-11 11:09 PM
    coooooooooooooool~~~
    the last thing we should do is waiting for a man who processes the bold 9900 and it happenedly to show up in front of us~~~
    hahahah

If only it were possible to get away it, RIM would be onto us like flys on shi*!
    Still if I see anyone with one...they will NOT be getting away from me until I get to try it atleast!

06-11-11 05:46 PM
    I know for a fact people are using torch 2 at rim in the Mississauaga office. So i'm sure there are 9900's out then because I believe torch 2 is later release.

btw torch 2 is ugly so silver and cheap looking. BOLD 9900 FTW!
    06-12-11 01:00 AM
    Aaaww, don't say the Torch 2 is cheap looking!!!! As in plasticky? That's the one I have my heart set on!

06-12-11 04:50 AM
    Just signed up to post this msg.

You have no reason to believe me more than the OP, but I too have seen the 9900 in the "wild" (Toronto). Saw four of my university buddies at a bar (RIM employees, they were visiting from KW) and two of them were using the 9900. One let me take a quick 30 second look at it, and it looked pretty solid to me. Really liked the hardware feel, the keyboard was nice, and it seemed to work pretty slick (but yes, 30 seconds, not a comprehensive review). Soooo.... I think it's probably in good shape.
    06-15-11 05:55 PM
    Just signed up to post this msg.

You have no reason to believe me more than the OP, but I too have seen the 9900 in the "wild" (Toronto). Saw four of my university buddies at a bar (RIM employees, they were visiting from KW) and two of them were using the 9900. One let me take a quick 30 second look at it, and it looked pretty solid to me. Really liked the hardware feel, the keyboard was nice, and it seemed to work pretty slick (but yes, 30 seconds, not a comprehensive review). Soooo.... I think it's probably in good shape.
    The only reason I do not entirely believe you is not because of your 3 posts.. The reason I do not entirely believe you is due to that fact that you do not currently have the 9900 in your hands right now. What do I mean? If I was in that situation, as many other too would agree, I would have turned that 30 seconds into a lifetime by running like f*cking ****!
    06-15-11 09:29 PM
    Don't be a hater flip4life4751, these devices are all over Ontario where RIM has offices, I've played with the Monza/Monaco, and been told that all the new phones are in RIM employees hands so they can test and use them. It's not like Apple where it's a big secret what's coming out, the specs have already been leaked, probably by RIM themselves to keep consumer interest up.
    06-15-11 11:36 PM
    Don't be a hater flip4life4751, these devices are all over Ontario where RIM has offices, I've played with the Monza/Monaco, and been told that all the new phones are in RIM employees hands so they can test and use them. It's not like Apple where it's a big secret what's coming out, the specs have already been leaked, probably by RIM themselves to keep consumer interest up.
    I think the and the suggestion that he'd have taken the phone and run like he11 means he's just having a little fun, not being a hater.
    06-16-11 12:19 AM
    I think the and the suggestion that he'd have taken the phone and run like he11 means he's just having a little fun, not being a hater.
    THANK YOU for understanding basic sarcasm... Jesus christ, was that kid being serious about me being a hater? lmao! Maybe he'll get better at understanding this kinda stuff if he is around these forums long enough, I just figured it was obvious, but apparently not :X

People need to chill out a bit and relax.. This release date is causing people to go CRAZY
    Last edited by flip4life4751; 06-16-11 at 01:13 AM.
    06-16-11 01:10 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD