At the bar last night, I spotted a guy using a BlackBerry with a lit up trackpad. So I go over and ask what he had. Hesitant at first, he shows me his 9900 in a silicone skin.
    Even more reluctantly, he let's me play with it. The phone's build quality is spectacular. Think iPhone construction but in a BlackBerry. It's thin but feels solid in the hand. Definitely not the plasticky nature of RIM's past devices. The touch screen was flawless and reminded me of the responsiveness of my PlayBook.
    Then he quickly grabbed it away from me because the poor schmuck was terrified of being caught showing it off.
    Anyways, that was my first encounter with it and it left an incredible first impression. I was on the fence seeing as I just came from a Torch and got a 9780, but now I can't wait for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-11 08:38 AM
    Wish I was there! I'd have grabbed it and ran off! LOL
    Did you get a chance to try out the keyboard? How did it feel?
    Did he not say of any release dates?

06-04-11 08:56 AM
    Nah didn't try the keyboard, looked like the 9000 but I really didn't have much time with it. And he was an IT guy so he has no idea when its coming out.

06-04-11 09:50 AM
    I'm quite excited to get the 9000 keyboard back, the 9700 feels somewhat cramped:/
    Did he comment on battery life? The Mah isn't as high as the 9700/9780 and I'm a bit worried.
    I hope it's out soon, the wait is killing me & these September rumers are starting to depress me a little!

06-04-11 10:46 AM
    Did he comment on battery life? The Mah isn't as high as the 9700/9780 and I'm a bit worried.
    I don't think you'll have anything to worry about there.

Crucial_Xtreme has already commented about battery life whilst testing a 9900.
    He said it was comparable to the 9700, and much better than the old 9000.

06-04-11 10:51 AM
    Seems BS kinda, but why make up some story like that? It's not really about release date(s) per se.

Sounds very promising if the Touch is solidly built like an iphone. Hope the battery usage overall is about at least like the Tour or better. Of course, it uses more power...so that doesn't say much.....

06-04-11 02:23 PM
    was it the phone you were playing with?

Big bird calls bullsh*t on this story
    Big Bird is WRONG.

I know for a fact, having a friend who is an intern at RIM right now that there are a few employees with a Bold 9900 right now.

Yes, these employees are allowed to use the phone outside of work as long as they're not saying 'HEY GUYS COME CHECK OUT MA BOLD 9900 LOL! WANNA C?'.

Everything about the poster's story makes perfect sense. The employee would be working in waterloo, and he would likely be skittish about having it in someone elses hands for an extended period of time.

He's *technically* not allowed to show it to anyone, but one or two people never hurt. Considering my friend is working for a division that isn't involved with the new phones, but has a friend who is working in that division (and has seen and used his), this story is legit.

These guys are allowed to go out and have fun, and in waterloo there isn't much to do but probably go to the same handful of bars. These guys make good money as interns so it isn't unlikely that you could have this situation arise.
    06-04-11 02:34 PM
    At the bar last night, I spotted a guy using a BlackBerry with a lit up trackpad. So I go over and ask what he had. Hesitant at first, he shows me his 9900 in a silicone skin.
    Even more reluctantly, he let's me play with it. The phone's build quality is spectacular. Think iPhone construction but in a BlackBerry. It's thin but feels solid in the hand. Definitely not the plasticky nature of RIM's past devices. The touch screen was flawless and reminded me of the responsiveness of my PlayBook.
    Then he quickly grabbed it away from me because the poor schmuck was terrified of being caught showing it off.
    Anyways, that was my first encounter with it and it left an incredible first impression. I was on the fence seeing as I just came from a Torch and got a 9780, but now I can't wait for it.

And "some" swear that it is not out in the field yet. I have seen one, too. Not alot of Blackberrys with key lit up like that even around the trackpad. The faster processor make them a whole new device.
    06-04-11 02:37 PM
    The employee would be working in waterloo,.
    The 9900 I have see and held was WAY south of Waterloo. Not even in Canada.
    06-04-11 02:40 PM
    I know for a fact that this 9900/9930 is out there in the hands of very few people even outside of Canada. So, this guy may be telling the truth.
    06-04-11 03:37 PM
    I am waiting for any good news release from RIM. Good or bad I hope RIM updates us on Monday so sometimes next week. This is a weekend now so, I don't expect any good valid news on 9900 until Monday.
    06-04-11 03:38 PM
    Pics or it didn't happen. lol
    06-04-11 04:17 PM
    Too bad he didn't accidentaly leave it there like that one guy did with the Iphone 4 before it was released
    06-04-11 06:49 PM
    I don't think the story is BS. I was out for lunch on Thursday and saw a 9900. The user had a black skin on it and had it resting on the counter. When he saw me looking at it he picked it up. It was at the university plaza by RIM offices.

Today I saw the torch 2, up close the metallic look doesn't look bad. I was thinking of approaching the guy but was out shopping with the family.

06-04-11 07:13 PM
    Ah. So approaching guys without your family is ok? Canadians. Sheesh. You guys are getting as bad as our elected officials.
    06-04-11 07:23 PM
    Yeah its ok to approach, but when you've got a 2 year old screaming at the top of his lungs, the guy would have ran. LOL.

By the way the screen looked crisp on both devices.

06-04-11 07:38 PM
    I don't think the story is BS. I was out for lunch on Thursday and saw a 9900. The user had a black skin on it and had it resting on the counter. When he saw me looking at it he picked it up. It was at the university plaza by RIM offices.

Today I saw the torch 2, up close the metallic look doesn't look bad. I was thinking of approaching the guy but was out shopping with the family.

Agreed. There are a number of account managers out there with them.

06-04-11 07:52 PM
    May be this happen and may be not. Who cares... why are we fighting over this like little kids anyway. Grow up. Those who find this user is truthful, they can believe in him/her. Those who don't can just pass this as any other Thread on here.

From my POV, idk who is telling the truth and who is not. If someone said that 9900/9930 is out in the market, that would be great. If not, we are all trying to help by feeding whatever the info we can get to crackberry.com

All the best and stop fighting over who is right.
    Roo4x4 and pkcable like this.
    06-04-11 08:20 PM
    thank you to the people who appreciate my story, thats why i posted it this morning. to the people who are doubtful, im assuming youre just jealous that i got to use one before you.

living next to blackberry hq certainly has its advantages.
    pkcable and catberryday like this.
    06-05-11 12:03 AM
    Awesome story op!

06-05-11 12:04 AM
    Not sure if I'm 'credible' enough but I had lunch with a RIM guy last week (I seem to be drawing their attention lately) and briefly played with his 99XX. Nothing in-depth or anything but I was instantly blown away. I want one. Now.

So anyway, YES. There are people in the field with BlackBerry 99XX's. The OP's story is perfectly believable.
    06-05-11 12:13 AM
    That's great. It's good to see RIM putting good products out..I want one now too!
    06-05-11 01:14 AM
    The person Iknow has had one, in fact he is on his second 9900 and he is far from Canada and works for AT&T in FLorida
    06-05-11 06:45 AM
    I dont see the point in discrediting a story for the sake of it.. im jealous regardless.

but I think you Guys spend too long looking at other peoples phones =P
    06-05-11 07:19 AM
    i totally KNOW this story is BS.....I was the guy with the phone. It was a droid pro and this person was drunk and could barely walk....I let them play with it and they could believe how fast the browser was.....LOL....alcohol is a b**ch sometimes!!!
    06-05-11 09:44 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD