The SIM Card that comes with the Bold actually says HSDPA on it... what exactly does this mean? Do you need to be using this SIM to fully utilize the features of 3G or something? I am confused, does it matter what SIM card you have installed?
    08-30-08 03:17 AM
    depends on your network and your sim.

I know that where I am, in most cases sim cards that are more than 3 years old cant utilize the 3G network. But thats because we have had 3G here for 3 years, and since 3G is new in Canada I am not sure. How old is your sim, do you see the 3G logo on your bold while using your old sim? if you do, then there is no need to worry.

The sim that came with my rogers bold does not say hsdpa on it. Odd.
    Last edited by dubai_bb; 08-30-08 at 03:33 AM.
    08-30-08 03:30 AM
    I do see the 3G logo yes, I just don't get why their is a specific HSDPA SIM card, makes me wonder... my 3G internet is not as fast as its made out to be. I know the iPhone browser is a lil faster but on the commercials it shows it being lightning fast. Def not lightning fast. Thought that might have something to do with it but I don't know.
    08-30-08 03:34 AM
    it has to do with the browser on the Bold. I have also noticed its not that fast and I can tell because I have been using 3G for almost 3 years. Just some bugs which I am sure they will work out. I am not stressing about it much.

In regards to the sim card like I said, if its more than 2-3 years old it most likely isnt 3G capable. I presume yours is not that old?
    Where does it say hsdpa on the sim, because I cant find it on the rogers sim that came wiht my bold.
    08-30-08 03:39 AM
    My SIM card is much older than 3 years old. It's between 5 and 7 years old and I connect with the 3G network without any problems. My download times are very slow compared to posted times and with java enabled I have the same problem Kevin does. Load one page in 3-4 minutes and the next page needs a reboot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by netrage; 08-30-08 at 05:57 AM.
    08-30-08 05:54 AM
    you know I had no Idea that mattered, and I looked at my card it was from 2006 and I called in to rogers they said to change it to the one that came with the bold. maybe that is why I might not have been getting the best speeds.. They also told me that its better to copy the contacts and stuff to the device memory rather than the card .. which only hold first name, last name and the number. So I synced with outlook to backup - just because I am paranoid and then copied all of my stuff to the device. And upgraded Sim Card

I still want to put all my contacts and Stuff on the SIM card anyone have a way to do it
    Wow this is a lot faster connecting to cb and getting to the forum, new found bold speeds are wicked
    Bb browser
    Last edited by vx1; 08-30-08 at 08:52 AM.
    08-30-08 06:46 AM
    ... I know the iPhone browser is a lil faster but on the commercials it shows it being lightning fast. ....
    Apple is facing legal action over that commercial.

You don't really belive it is that fast, do you?

CrackBerry.Com .... Bold:41.11 ..... iPhone:27.23
    NYTime.com .... Bold:29.09 ..... iPhone:16.58
    Hardly the 2 seconds that it appears in the commercial.
    Last edited by Reed; 08-30-08 at 10:04 AM.
    08-30-08 09:24 AM
    Yep it is deffinately faster and cb forums load a lot faster
    I am happier with the new found speed combo between
    the new sim chip and the software upgrade to 134 we are
    doing pretty good

08-30-08 09:32 AM
    First of all, no I didn't believe the Apple commercial saying that 3G was that fast, its very misleading showing speeds faster than my computer with high speed.

dubai_bb, it does not actually say HSDPA on the SIM card itself, rather the package your SIM card comes in. Normally on the front of the package it says your SIM card and service agreement. Directly below that it says HSDPA, which all of my other previous SIM card packages have not said.

As I am getting mixed opinions I am just going to call Rogers and ask them to switch it to the card I got with the Bold, maybe i'll notice a difference who knows, cant hurt to try.
    08-30-08 01:09 PM
    it does not say hsdpa or 3g on the SIM, easy way to tell is old cards are all white and the newer ones have red on half but the rogers stores know them by a code id named " OU "

I had mine upgraded today since my old card was from 2005

I could see the difference. You will have to call rogers to have the new SIM activated on the network as well. I had mine activated in the morning by afternoon my account got suspended because it did not get updated properly and I had to call back to re-Activate on the RIM servers. They had the old card on file still.

so its a good Idea to be in touch with rogers when doing the upgrade
    08-30-08 02:39 PM
    Update, I actually just took the SIM card out of the plastic wrapping and on one side it DOES say HSDPA on it. I will take pictures in a second here and post them. About the "ou" cards what exactly are those? I have a older SIM card lying around that has ou on it. Its weird because it has 4 rows of 5 numbers on the back where as normally they have 5 rows of 4 numbers, I dunno? Ill take a picture of that one too beside the HSDPA SIM.
    08-30-08 03:06 PM
    Here is the HSDPA SIM I got with my Bold.

08-30-08 03:44 PM
    The SIM Card that comes with the Bold actually says HSDPA on it... what exactly does this mean? Do you need to be using this SIM to fully utilize the features of 3G or something? I am confused, does it matter what SIM card you have installed?
    I took the old one out of my CURVE and it works just fine.
    08-30-08 05:42 PM
    Here is the HSDPA SIM I got with my Bold.

Thats weird. the sim that came with my bold is different. Where your says HSDPA, mine says UICC.
    08-31-08 01:30 AM
    Haha, who really knows? I switched to the SIM that came with my Bold yesterday, I figure it doesn't say HSDPA for no reason. Who knows, wish someone could tell us what this is...
    08-31-08 01:34 PM
    So if I back up to desktop manager and swap to the new SIM card and then reload I should keep all my contacts, correct?? What about emails and messages??? And I should have roger customer servic on the line as well???

08-31-08 08:22 PM
    hsdpa - High-Speed Downlink Packet Access 3G mobile telephony communications protocol.
    08-31-08 08:44 PM
    well like he said above, so below I was going to post but - not all chips say HSDPA some say UICC
    Last edited by vx1; 08-31-08 at 09:00 PM.
    08-31-08 08:53 PM
    High-Speed Downlink Packet Access, also known as HSDPA or High-Speed Downlink Protocol Access, is a mobile telephone protocol in the High-Speed Packet Access (HSPA) family of third generation (3G) technologies designed to increase data transfer rates and the capacity of such networks through the transfer of data using a cellular phone.
    08-31-08 09:03 PM
    I do not recall asking what HSDPA was, rather why there is a specific HSDPA sim card...
    09-01-08 12:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD