What are some of the things .282 will fix? Is reception one of them?

I've noticed that here in my office I'm almost always on EDGE with 3G showing up kind randomly.

My Q9H and my 3GS both held 3G 100% of the time here in my office.

I'm going to go to .282 rogers today but would like to know what kind of benefits I'll get from doing so.

If this thing is always going to go to EDGE then I plan on just taking it back.

Let me know guys!

Thanks a bunch.

PS: Other than that the device seems pretty solid, although browsing on any browser seems incredible slow. It's like the data connection is being choked or something.

07-08-09 01:26 AM
    you should read on the OS releases. So far, the most stable of them all has been 4.6.0.266, which if you use the search function, you can find it for download.

.282 is good, not many memory leeks, browser is some what faster, and does have 2G/3G switching capabilities.

Again, just use the search feature as there have been hundreds of these threads made with the answers you are looking for.
    07-08-09 01:35 AM
    I searched some but couldn't find much about the phone not holding 3G well. And the browser itself seems fast as ****, but the data itself is not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-08-09 01:39 AM
    the best build i had was .247. i upgraded to .282 a few weeks back and noticed some memory leaks. however both builds are extremly better then the standard .167 os. good luck with your new bold and findings
    07-08-09 01:39 AM
    The data will be slow over edge.

07-08-09 01:43 AM

Yeah, I understand that.

Even when it shows full 3G bars it's still slow as all ****.

I'll stop complaining now until I go to .282.

I'll report back later on this morning with my findings.

Thanks a bunch so far, you guys!

-Alex
    07-08-09 01:51 AM

07-08-09 01:59 AM

You do realize that this doesn't answer my question and that once is more than enough, right?

07-08-09 02:16 AM
    You will also have a new feature added that is not on .167.
    Holding the BB button will bring up app switcher.

Your browser should be a bit faster after the upgrade, you may see more free memory after a fresh start.

And I see that you do not want EDGE but currently you cannot manually switch to EDGE on AT&T . Upgrading to .282 will allow you to switch manually.
    07-08-09 02:25 AM
    You will also have a new feature added that is not on .167.
    Holding the BB button will bring up app switcher.

Your browser should be a bit faster after the upgrade, you may see more free memory after a fresh start.

And I see that you do not want EDGE but currently you cannot manually switch to EDGE on AT&T . Upgrading to .282 will allow you to switch manually.
    The whole switching thing is nice, but in an area where 3G coverage is exceptional why would my phone be switching back and forth from edge to 3G? I'm not even moving. I'm sitting at my desk.

07-08-09 02:33 AM
    My opinion based on my 3G experience (tons of dropped calls) and others that I've read about is that AT&T's 3G network sux and is just not ready.

They're supposedly working on the issues.
    AT&T to begin implementing N-SET in an effort to reduce 3G network strain : Boy Genius Report
    07-08-09 02:44 AM
    All I'm saying is that my other phones held 3G just fine in my office.

I really hope .282 fixes some of this stuff.

07-08-09 03:03 AM
    Oh ok. Good luck.
    Last edited by Teek; 07-08-09 at 03:07 AM.
    07-08-09 03:04 AM
    not that im trynna hack this thread. im about 2 weeks in with my new bold as well, runnin on .167. thought i'd give it a shot and use it before i upgrade os. seems pretty good and solid. mem is ok, apps, and data is good. still rolling wit it, for now
    07-08-09 03:44 AM

I've noticed that here in my office I'm almost always on EDGE with 3G showing up kind randomly.

I'm going to go to .282 rogers today but would like to know what kind of benefits I'll get from doing so.

Let me know guys!

Thanks a bunch.

PS: Other than that the device seems pretty solid, although browsing on any browser seems incredible slow. It's like the data connection is being choked or something.

It doesnt look like you got the answer to your question... I also dont get very good reception in my office on 3G and in my experiance on .282 it comes and goes but what ive done is turned mine to 2G because it save a TON of battery life. When im at home or work my Wifi is on witch is 100 times faster than 3G anyway and when im out if im gonna need the internet i just turn the 3G back on. Over all view of upgrading to .282 you will see a big differance and be very happy you did it. The phone it self runs much smoother and faster and has twice the app. memory.

Just my 2 cents, give it a go for yourself.
    07-08-09 07:02 AM
    Here's something to consider - the first Bold I got was incredibly slow. I tried every software, spent hours on the phone with tech support and they never discovered why. Eventually they went ahead and replaced my phone and the replacement was 100 times faster browsing and handling data. Maybe you have a defective unit, feel free to take it back.
    07-08-09 07:20 AM
    It may be your phone. Tell AT&T about your other phones and see what they say. The Bold certainly has superior service to the iPhone.

07-08-09 07:51 AM

Let me know guys!

Thanks a bunch.

Does anyone have info for Toronto, Canada? (Rogers). Consider purchasing a Bold this week, but may hold of if 3G is all hype and no substance.
    07-08-09 07:58 AM
    When I first got my bold about 5 days ago I noticed that it would keep switching from EDGE to 3G every min or so. I found a thread or post on here that mentioned a person had the same issue as well as many others and their fix for this was the upgrade to.282 as it did something to the radio in the phone. ever since I did this upgrade 3 days ago my phone never comes out of 3G now.

Food for thought and wanted to share.
    07-08-09 08:10 AM
    The whole switching thing is nice, but in an area where 3G coverage is exceptional why would my phone be switching back and forth from edge to 3G? I'm not even moving. I'm sitting at my desk.

as said before AT&T's 3G network simply sucks. I'm on .282 and only switch to 3G to view Slingplayer, stream music (Pandora, Slacker & Flycast) and tether, otherwise I'm on EDGE 90% of the time. Since being back on EDGE I have not had one dropped call.
    07-08-09 08:14 AM
    as said before AT&T's 3G network simply sucks. I'm on .282 and only switch to 3G to view Slingplayer, stream music (Pandora, Slacker & Flycast) and tether, otherwise I'm on EDGE 90% of the time. Since being back on EDGE I have not had one dropped call.
    Sucks for you. It's rock solid here, and has been for a long time.
    07-08-09 08:15 AM
    I just ran a speedtest on my Bold and here are the results on 3G in the north atlanta metro area.

Jul 08 09:14:57

Here are the Speedtest results for my Blackberry:

Connection Type: Carrier
    Avg. Download Speed: 2386.78Kbits/s
    Max. Download Speed: 3558.33Kbits/s

Avg. Upload Speed: 76.64Kbits/s
    Max. Upload Speed: 96.64Kbits/s
    07-08-09 08:16 AM
    And I reiterate... not a single 3G phone I've had before this has given me a single issue.

If the 3G networks sucks as a whole, I must be in one of the locations where it rocks, because here in Austin no one seems to complain about it.

PS: .282 didn't make a difference. If anything it made the reception worse.

Heading back the AT&T store tonight.

07-08-09 08:23 AM
    That's a good idea. Bummer though.

07-08-09 11:15 AM
    Does anyone have info for Toronto, Canada? (Rogers). Consider purchasing a Bold this week, but may hold of if 3G is all hype and no substance.
    my bold is solid. i was pulling in 1mb+ on 3G near Pearson. if you use your phone for business, get the bold. if entertainment is more your bag, get the 3GS.
    07-08-09 11:18 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD