There's a million threads on this, so now there's a million and one.

I've gone through a number of 9630's - and each one had a major quality control issue that was an absolute deal breaker - broken track balls, poor sound quality, extremely laggy. I've been a BB user for a few years now, and I'm not so hard on my devices, nor am I always "looking" for something to be wrong, but these defects, as most of you know, were extremely obvious.

So I finally spoke with Verizon and expressed my problems and they sent me over a brand new Bold, accessories and all. It seems they are out of replacement devices, so they didn't have much of a choice except to send me a brand new unit.

If you're reading this, you know the deal - it looks like the Tour and it basically IS the Tour, with double the ram, wifi and a trackpad. Maybe there's something else under the hood, but to the best of my knowledge, that's it.

Physically, I find it "denser" than the Tour - if it can be described as that. Maybe I'm just used to the Tour's poor build quality - loose battery covers, haunted-house-like creaking from the earpiece, crappy trackball...but this feels denser. There is NO creaky earpiece, no loose battery door, no mushy buttons. It feels better put together.

The keypad looks and feels raised to me though. I don't know if I hate it or love it. It isn't as flush to the device as the Tour's - I never had a typing issue with the Tour, and with this Bold, I have been using it all day and it's as if nothing changed. Maybe it's better that it's raised a bit. Time will tell.

My track pad is only slightly raised on the left side. This pisses me off, but it's really only a *drop* that's hardly noticeable. Not a deal breaker, but it annoys me. It's like, I want RIM to come back to the top and be known for quality product, but not with issues like these. I don't want to have this turn into an Apple versus RIM debate, but when it comes to material qualities and attention to detail, RIM REALLY needs to step it up to stay relevant. I would have loved a spec bump in the camera, for instance.

I do think this is a beautiful phone, don't get me wrong. Would I have liked it to look like the 9700? Yeah, but in it's own way, this Bold is beautiful. I would have liked for it to have the rubber sides, the beveled screen and less of a border around the device. Maybe even the sort of screen like on the new Curve, there there are no gaps for dirt to get stuck? Maybe even a larger screen? The list can go on - this should all have been released a year ago at least.

Anyway, The voice quality is superb. The transfer device wizard also worked flawlessly for me.

The track pad takes a bit of getting used to. It's a bit jumpy in Opera. I'm used to the track ball, but at least this (hopefully) won't fail.

I wouldn't say the Bold is "Blazing Fast" but it's ok. I'm not noticing that much of a difference between the Bold and Tour in terms of speed.

Wifi works wonders when my signal is constantly jumping from 1X to 3G, at least my data is consistent.

In the end, so far I am enjoying this phone more than the Tour. It does what I need it to do. I use email, messaging, light Facebook use, casual web browsing, and light widgety things like weather and such. I wish there was more BB development for useful apps. Like, Chase Bank now has this new app for iPhone where you can take a photo of a check and make a deposit right from your phone without having to go to the bank. That's fantastic! But there's no BB app

I was going to jump ship to Android and get the Motorola Droid X when it comes out - but I am going to hold on to this phone until LTE4 comes out and let's see what Verizon has up it's sleeve then.

And I just ordered a SENA ultra-thin case for my Bold

So yes. Great phone, really solid, few lags (but there ARE lags now and then), and the addition of wifi and trackpad helps a lot.

That's all
    07-03-10 04:50 PM
    When did you call CS/TS? VZW has had them back in stock for a couple of days at least now...
    07-03-10 04:56 PM
    I called on Wednesday, and they said they were sending me a Bold instead of the Tour, which they admit has a track ball problem (some CS reps claim this is the first time they've heard of such a problem).

Thursday they called me and said there are no Bold's in stock, will monitor the stock and send me one when they become available. I checked their website and it did say "Out of Stock" on the website.

I happened to load my laptop up Friday morning and the VZW page refreshed and the "Out of Stock" banner went away, so I gave CS a call and they said that they are out of stock of the refurbished units, so I told them that the website says they are in stock now, but that I was told the phone is relatively new so that there aren't even refurbished units?

Long story short, they just overnighted me a Bold.

To be treated like this is why I stay with Verizon. I pay $150 a month for all the bells and whistles on my account, the least they could do is swap a phone out for me and throw me a bone now and then.
    07-03-10 05:05 PM
    The Chase app is iPhone only at this point, so its not really a BB issue, android doesn't have it either.

If one organization decides to release something platform specific then there's nothing to do about it. Its moot anyways because I'm quite certain the chase app is coming to Android/BB. It just didn't start on those platforms

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-03-10 06:44 PM
    Also MP increases in the camera are worthless. They are sales tactics and marketing for the masses who know no better and are willing to pay for a higher MP count just because (just like you "need" a 10,000:1 contrast ratio on your tv that isn't even a real measurement)

RIM needs to improve other aspects of the camera, but its not the MP that is the issue. 8mp cameras are everywhere on phones because people think that's what makes the camera good or not, that's all.

07-03-10 06:47 PM
    [QUOTE=pbsd;5311245]I called on Wednesday, and they said they were sending me a Bold instead of the Tour, which they admit has a track ball problem (some CS reps claim this is the first time they've heard of such a problem).

Thursday they called me and said there are no Bold's in stock, will monitor the stock and send me one when they become available. I checked their website and it did say "Out of Stock" on the website.

I happened to load my laptop up Friday morning and the VZW page refreshed and the "Out of Stock" banner went away, so I gave CS a call and they said that they are out of stock of the refurbished units, so I told them that the website says they are in stock now, but that I was told the phone is relatively new so that there aren't even refurbished units?

To be treated like this is why I stay with Verizon. I pay $150 a month for all the bells and whistles on my account, the least they could do is swap a phone out for me and throw me a bone now and then.[/QUOTE]

Do we have an entitlement problem?
    07-03-10 07:59 PM
    Also MP increases in the camera are worthless. They are sales tactics and marketing for the masses who know no better and are willing to pay for a higher MP count just because (just like you "need" a 10,000:1 contrast ratio on your tv that isn't even a real measurement)

RIM needs to improve other aspects of the camera, but its not the MP that is the issue. 8mp cameras are everywhere on phones because people think that's what makes the camera good or not, that's all.

Well, I know this - let me rephrase - I would have liked an improved camera versus the same one they've been dumping in all their devices. I want them to show some advancement. Better quality images, perhaps. More manual options.

As for the Chase app - I just feel that the BB community gets the short end of the stick when it comes to app development. Facebook, for instance. Still no chat, still very lame. But I use Beejive for all my chat needs outside of BBM.

Hopefully BBOS6 fixes that, and excites people to bring along truly intuitive and useful applications for the BBOS.
    07-03-10 09:30 PM
    [QUOTE=MissJennell;5311572]
    I called on Wednesday, and they said they were sending me a Bold instead of the Tour, which they admit has a track ball problem (some CS reps claim this is the first time they've heard of such a problem).

To be treated like this is why I stay with Verizon. I pay $150 a month for all the bells and whistles on my account, the least they could do is swap a phone out for me and throw me a bone now and then.[/QUOTE]

Do we have an entitlement problem?
    Hmmm...not really. As a business owner, I am extremely appreciative of the customers I have that are bringing in more money and business on a regular basis. I have some customers that buy from me like clockwork, always spending more and more. If it wasn't for them, I'd be out of business. So I do what I can to make their experience that much more special, because I know that if I was a customer, I'd want to be treated as if I was special.

They have replaced my Tour with other Tours, and I didn't complain - I had one that worked for several months before the trackball decided to die. But for the rep to have said "You know what, that didn't work out for you, here's something that I think will..." makes me appreciate how Verizon Wireless treats their customers.
    07-03-10 09:34 PM
    The FB app for iPhone was developed by Facebook. The BB app was developed by RIM.

So getting the short end of the stick doesn't have as much to do with it as different developers creating different applications does.

07-03-10 10:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD