im using this phone as an in betweeen until i get another phone and i must say im not haitng it. i like the touch scroll and the keyboard is nice. i dont have alot of the apps i use but im fine with it so far

is there anything cool i can do with this phone?
    05-17-20 10:52 AM
    im using this phone as an in betweeen until i get another phone and i must say im not haitng it. i like the touch scroll and the keyboard is nice. i dont have alot of the apps i use but im fine with it so far

is there anything cool i can do with this phone?
    Email, talk and text 2010 style. BBOS was always my favorite if that’s all I had to do. If your carrier supports BIS and you’re okay with level of functionality, then enjoy...
    johnb_xp likes this.
    05-17-20 08:28 PM
    Email, talk and text 2010 style. BBOS was always my favorite if that’s all I had to do. If your carrier supports BIS and you’re okay with level of functionality, then enjoy...
    the email app wouldnt work for me. so im guessing mobile net and mms is tied with bis, what email app do i use??
    05-17-20 09:20 PM
    the email app wouldnt work for me. so im guessing mobile net and mms is tied with bis, what email app do i use??
    If your carrier isn't able to activate BIS at your request anymore, don't waste your time
    05-18-20 09:17 AM
    yeah i did some reasearch last night, i guess talk and text is fine just didnt know if there was some other cool things i could do with it to make it more fun. maybe sideload some games, homebrew even?
    05-18-20 09:22 AM
    The is a great site for anyone wanting to get the most out of a BBOS BlackBerry. The Bold Explorer

But sell it on ebay for a few bucks is really the most interesting thing you can do.
    shaolinwookie likes this.
    05-18-20 09:32 AM
    You can still use LogicMail with non-gmail email accounts.
    05-18-20 10:22 AM
    You can still use LogicMail with non-gmail email accounts.
    Yeah, The Bold Explorer have a whole page of how to set it up... along with why you might not want to bother.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    05-18-20 10:45 AM
    thank you, this is just the info im looking for. i think its worth just keeping as a barebones backup in case my main phone breaks, it would motivate me to get a better phone right away lol
    05-18-20 02:05 PM
    Definitely, it's a nice little device for basic browsing and communications.
    If you listen to internet radio at all I found the TuneIn app works well without BIS. There's also Opera Mini 8 (2014) that might load some sites better / faster than the native browser.
    Both are in BlackBerry World.
    05-18-20 09:06 PM
    yeah i tried to use app world on the device and it wont let me login, ill try quickapps to see what i can install. tunein definately has atleast a few good stations
    05-19-20 12:15 AM
    yeah i tried to use app world on the device and it wont let me login, ill try quickapps to see what i can install. tunein definately has atleast a few good stations
    Where are you located? From what I understand, AT&T is still actively supporting BIS if that helps
    05-19-20 04:48 AM
    im in the US, i use tracfone but they use att towers. i contacted tracfone but the agent said they dont support blackberry but i will try again cuz some of their agents dont know what theyre doing.
    05-19-20 11:10 AM
    Yeah, The Bold Explorer have a whole page of how to set it up... along with why you might not want to bother.
    alot of those apps only work on bbos 7.1, i have the 9700 version which only goes up to 6
    05-19-20 11:11 AM
    im in the US, i use tracfone but they use att towers. i contacted tracfone but the agent said they dont support blackberry but i will try again cuz some of their agents dont know what theyre doing.
    Has to be directly with AT&T, their MVNOs don't support BIS.
    05-19-20 11:18 AM
    Also, AT&T only support BIS on post-paid plans. Not pre-paid.
    05-19-20 04:04 PM
    hm so seems like if youre on os6 theres only ota apps are available, not bad. been having fun installing the ota apps bringing some kind of life to this ancient device. maybe someone will break the security in the future
    05-19-20 08:26 PM
    hm so seems like if youre on os6 theres only ota apps are available, not bad. been having fun installing the ota apps bringing some kind of life to this ancient device. maybe someone will break the security in the future
    Most the time the reason older BlackBerry's couldn't move to the "next level"... is the hardware wouldn't support it. Go compare the specs on the 9700 with the later devices that could run OS7. Storage/RAM was usually the big reason older phones didn't move on to the next level. And it's why some "newer" apps made to work with OS7 devices, wouldn't work on older phones.
    05-20-20 07:31 AM
    Most the time the reason older BlackBerry's couldn't move to the "next level"... is the hardware wouldn't support it. Go compare the specs on the 9700 with the later devices that could run OS7. Storage/RAM was usually the big reason older phones didn't move on to the next level. And it's why some "newer" apps made to work with OS7 devices, wouldn't work on older phones.
    yeah im not surprised, the 9700 specs seemed low even for that time period compared to other smartphones at the time. but you dont miss out on much, especially if youre with a carrier that doesnt support bis. anyone expecting too much app support shouldnt be using a phone from this era anyway
    05-20-20 12:02 PM
    yeah im not surprised, the 9700 specs seemed low even for that time period compared to other smartphones at the time. but you dont miss out on much, especially if youre with a carrier that doesnt support bis. anyone expecting too much app support shouldnt be using a phone from this era anyway
    We use to have arguments here about how much energy was wasted by Android OEMs using 1GB of RAM..... BlackBerry was much wiser to stick to 256MB. But time an again you'd find yourself holding a 12 month old phone that couldn't move on to the next level.... because of a few MB of RAM. If they had used 256MB of RAM in the STORM.... it could have been a much better phone.
    05-20-20 01:25 PM