What happened to the other people who knew what they were talking about????
    It looks like they have all left!
    01-11-12 09:25 AM
    It looks like they have all left!
    Apparently, chased away by all the nonsense that gets posted here.
    01-11-12 09:31 AM
    Sprint's is just as official as Verizon's. Sprint's version isn't a "leak" and nothing has been improved, the OS is exactly what they got from RIM. Posting misinformation doesn't help anyone.

What happened to the other people who knew what they were talking about????
    Again there are some people that don't want the sprint or leaked version when they are on verizon. Its just a quirk about them. They WANT a VERIZON official version. Which has been APPROVED by Verizon. What's so hard to understand. Regardless that its the same EXACT OS version.

Man you are so hard headed.
    01-11-12 09:40 AM
    Again there are some people that don't want the sprint or leaked version when they are on verizon. Its just a quirk about them. They WANT a VERIZON official version. Which has been APPROVED by Verizon. What's so hard to understand. Regardless that its the same EXACT OS version.
    I agree...I used to be one of those people but the way the OTA update is applied to the phone in patches scares the living daylights out of me...one small misstep in that whole process and there's no way to push forward...all one can do is wait and pray that it will pick right back up.....

In this scenario, we have the OS available from another source so I was just curious why people wouldn't go that route - it actually will take half the time (or even less) to upgrade that way.

General question: any idea if verizon tweaks the OS and adds VZW bloatware or additional modules (like PTT etc)?
    01-11-12 09:44 AM
    Yup did the batter pull and the soft reset too. I also tried connecting it to DM. Kinda weird. Im going to call Verizon and see what they say. They are sometimes (sometimes) helpful. Thanks again for your suggestions coraya!
    Fixed it! Called verizon and they resent the service packs (for some reason it wasnt working when i did it). Boom it worked!

Thanks again!

Kenny
    01-11-12 09:47 AM

Man you are so hard headed.
    It's not difficult to understand. Unlike you, I know what an "official is, and I know the difference between a leak and an official. I also know that if 7.1.0.163 had been leaked, nothing would be improved when a carrier released it. What Sprint released isn't a "leak". I'm sure it's not the first time you've been wrong. Get over it.
    01-11-12 09:56 AM
    General question: any idea if verizon tweaks the OS and adds VZW bloatware or additional modules (like PTT etc)?
    The only things I've see added are extra languages and PTT. But PTT comes in leaks, so it's there before VZW gets it.
    01-11-12 09:59 AM
    ^ thanks. I figured and since I don't use PTT, no big deal for me. I saw someone posted a link to this latest OS in the 9930 forum. Does anyone know the actual size of the file (it clocked in at 200MB) ?
    01-11-12 10:04 AM
    ^ thanks. I figured and since I don't use PTT, no big deal for me. I saw someone posted a link to this latest OS in the 9930 forum. Does anyone know the actual size of the file (it clocked in at 200MB) ?
    I did the OTA update and clicked "customized" and removed all the extra things I wouldn't use like the extra languages. I unchecked a few other items and my download ended up being 50MB.
    01-11-12 10:10 AM
    When I wipe and reload 7.1 I'm removing the PTT cods.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-11-12 at 10:14 AM.
    01-11-12 10:12 AM
    7.1.0.163 is the same no matter which carrier releases it. Try again.
    Okay, I will try again. When I upgraded my 9650 to a version not released by Verizon, I had a sms issue. Verizon told me they didn't release the version I had (it was newer), so I had to downgrade to their version if I wanted support. I called multiple times and got different tech support reps. Same answer.

I know other people that have encountered the same issue. You upgrade to a newer version than Verizon has; they don't provide technical support.

So, if you updated to .163 before Tuesday, say last week, and you had technical issues, Verizon would tell you, too bad.
    01-11-12 10:25 AM
    Okay, I will try again. When I upgraded my 9650 to a version not released by Verizon, I had a sms issue. Verizon told me they didn't release the version I had (it was newer), so I had to downgrade to their version if I wanted support. I called multiple times and got different tech support reps. Same answer.

I know other people that have encountered the same issue. You upgrade to a newer version than Verizon has; they don't provide technical support.

So, if you updated to .163 before Tuesday, say last week, and you had technical issues, Verizon would tell you, too bad.
    Verizon didn't release any of the same 9650 builds that Sprint did. So, in that case, VZW wouldn't help you.

You're correct, prior to Jan 10, VZW wouldn't help you with 7.1 (or any OS that they haven't released). That said, the phone rep isn't going to ask beyond what OS do you have. They won't ask "is this Sprint's 7.1 or ours?"
    01-11-12 10:32 AM
    It's not difficult to understand. Unlike you, I know what an "official is, and I know the difference between a leak and an official. I also know that if 7.1.0.163 had been leaked, nothing would be improved when a carrier released it. What Sprint released isn't a "leak". I'm sure it's not the first time you've been wrong. Get over it.
    It's also not difficult to understand that joe blow doesn't want to upgrade to the Sprint official version, because it says Sprint and not Verizon.
    01-11-12 10:32 AM
    Verizon didn't release any of the same 9650 builds that Sprint did. So, in that case, VZW wouldn't help you.

You're correct, prior to Jan 10, VZW wouldn't help you with 7.1. That said, the phone rep isn't going to ask beyond what OS do you have. They won't ask "is this Sprint's 7.1 or ours?"
    Correct. As of yesterday, it doesn't matter who's version you have installed.
    01-11-12 10:34 AM
    It's also not difficult to understand that joe blow doesn't want to upgrade to the Sprint official version, because it says Sprint and not Verizon.
    No it's not difficult to understand. It's just a silly reason not to use a really good OS.
    01-11-12 10:42 AM
    I did the OTA update and clicked "customized" and removed all the extra things I wouldn't use like the extra languages. I unchecked a few other items and my download ended up being 50MB.
    Thanks...I wanted to confirm if this file seems legit since I'm going to try the DM/ apploader route...I remember older BB OS6 used to run 120-140 MB so this looks like it should be fine.
    01-11-12 11:15 AM
    Thanks...I wanted to confirm if this file seems legit since I'm going to try the DM/ apploader route...I remember older BB OS6 used to run 120-140 MB so this looks like it should be fine.
    Software For BlackBerry� Bold� 9930 smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v7.1.0.457 (All Languages)

Package Version: 7.1.0.457
    Consisting of:

Applications: 7.1.0.163
    Software Platform: 5.1.0.137
    File name: 9930jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel457_PL5.1.0.137_A7.1.0.16 3_Sprint_L.P.exe
    File size: 245.12MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.
    01-11-12 11:22 AM
    No it's not difficult to understand. It's just a silly reason not to use a really good OS.

Ok so again. Some people want the update from Verizon regardless that its the same thing. They believe its more authentic. Its more "official" to them. You obviously don't know what I'm trying to say. I don't care the its the same exact OS version for Sprint and Verizon. There are some people out there believe it or not, like I use to be, and the above poster that said he rather have his update cleared by Verizon, that don't bother with any other carriers release. REGARDLESS that its the same OS version. Me? Sure I would download the 4print version because there is no difference, but there are those that would rather wait for their own carriers release because they feel its more authentic. Now I repeated myself about eight times. I'm pretty sure you finally understand what I'm saying to you. I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm trying to help you understand what I'm trying to say.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-11-12 12:19 PM

And this I agree with. But like I said, some people just use that as their reason. I don't. I USED to. It is silly, but to each there own. You worry about your device and everyone else will worry about there respective blackberries.

01-11-12 12:20 PM
    If you have BB Desktop installed, just connect your BB and let it sync using Desktop Manager, that way they never know you upgraded ;-)
    Just to clarify, the pc you're running must be connected to the corporate network either locally or by vpn for enterprise activation to happen automatically.
    01-11-12 12:44 PM
    Sigh... wow.
    So the build number is the same and everything, sure that makes the OS the same regardless of what carrier it comes from. HOWEVER, I remember when 5.0 first got released for the 9630, Sprint launched it first. I downloaded it, pulled the vendor.xml file (which coincidentally makes the Sprint official different than the Verizon official ) and loaded it on my VZW 9630. From that point on I had a reoccuring signal issue where it would cut in and out. Turns out I wasn't the only one, and through reading multiple threads in the forums (where hybrid developers were prevolent) it turned out that the Sprint version of 5.0 had a radio file/code/whatever that was geared more towards their own network, which caused issues when it was loaded on a VZW device.

So sure, while the OS may be the same build, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is exactly the same in every shape and form. After my experience with the Sprint 5.0, I generally wait for the official OS to come from my carrier, regardless if it's the same build or not. I don't want to mess with any of those vendor.xml files anyways...
    01-11-12 01:41 PM
    so far so good.. the only downfall of this os that i am not appreciative of is that when i start a new text (which i hit send, type the person's name, and then click send text message) it doesn't immediately go to the message for me to type it goes to a 2nd address field which i don't need if i'm only texting one person.. is anyone else experiencing this?? it also does the same thing if i go into my address book and start a text from there.. not a big deal, but semi-annoying..
    01-11-12 01:50 PM
    And this I agree with. But like I said, some people just use that as their reason. I don't. I USED to. It is silly, but to each there own. You worry about your device and everyone else will worry about there respective blackberries.

(which coincidentally makes the Sprint official different than the Verizon official )
    LOL, That's not part of the OS that is installed, so it doesn't make the Sprint build different than any other.
    01-11-12 01:53 PM
    Sigh... wow.
    So the build number is the same and everything, sure that makes the OS the same regardless of what carrier it comes from. HOWEVER, I remember when 5.0 first got released for the 9630, Sprint launched it first. I downloaded it, pulled the vendor.xml file (which coincidentally makes the Sprint official different than the Verizon official ) and loaded it on my VZW 9630. From that point on I had a reoccuring signal issue where it would cut in and out. Turns out I wasn't the only one, and through reading multiple threads in the forums (where hybrid developers were prevolent) it turned out that the Sprint version of 5.0 had a radio file/code/whatever that was geared more towards their own network, which caused issues when it was loaded on a VZW device.

So sure, while the OS may be the same build, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is exactly the same in every shape and form. After my experience with the Sprint 5.0, I generally wait for the official OS to come from my carrier, regardless if it's the same build or not. I don't want to mess with any of those vendor.xml files anyways...

Although you shut him up and corrected one of my statements, I just don't think he was understanding what I was trying to say. Some people don't care if both carriers release the same update. They want the update from their own carrier, regardless of release dates. Thanks for shutting him up. He didn't get anything anyone was saying.

01-11-12 01:59 PM
    Although you shut him up and corrected one of my statements, I just don't think he was understanding what I was trying to say. Some people don't care if both carriers release the same update. They want the update from their own carrier, regardless of release dates. Thanks for shutting him up. He didn't get anything anyone was saying.

He didn't shut me up, the OS builds are the same. Whether the radio file works better on one network or another doesn't mean the OS is different.

I understand what you were trying to say. What you were saying was wrong.
    Last edited by pcgizmo; 01-11-12 at 02:05 PM.
    01-11-12 02:01 PM
189 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD