i just bought a blackberry 9780, my first blackberry. what i thinking is that if the bold 9780 was the best choice, i had a 120 budget and i got a new 9780 for that but should have gotten a 9320/9360?
    and is the 9790 that much better than the 9780? the touchscreen isnt important.

things im looking for;
    good screen with medium-high ppi
    good camera
    good keyboard (im a teenager so buttons dont have to be too big)
    EDIT: battery life is also a priority
    Last edited by Parth Kataria; 03-23-13 at 12:29 PM.
    03-23-13 10:57 AM
    I also bought the same bold last year around July i think. For all the reasons you stated plus a good batt life. Its a good device.
    03-23-13 11:25 AM
    oh man, I've got the 9790 and it's awesome. I came from a Pearl3G, which had much in common with the 9780.
    The 9790 has OS7, which is a much better OS, browser and in my opinion a better experience all the way around. The hardware in it is much better as well. 1ghz processor, a bunch more RAM and larger 8GB internal storage. I don't even use a memory card. (I don't have too many songs/videos i carry around - i stream mostly.) I like having the touchscreen, but like to use the trackpad to feel retro. lol

I don't think you made a mistake with the 9780 - i think it's an awesome looking device and will get you by social/messaging/light browsing... but i think that just about any of the OS7 devices are better specs-wise. 9790 is a real slender device. the 9780 will feel like a brick compared to the 9790.

I use photo studio pro and i get amazing pics with the 9790. it's got a great camera that i believe is pretty close to the 9780. The one thing it doesn't have is the 2-stage focus/shutter button. I've got quite used to NOT using it as the autofocus on the 9790 is quite good for my use. They both save a 5MP image. Take a look at this blog post i wrote about mobile photography. The images in the article are all taken on a 9790 and processed with Photo Studio Pro.
    Mobile Photography Prints on Canvas | Spitting Images
    03-23-13 11:41 AM
    oh man, I've got the 9790 and it's awesome. I came from a Pearl3G, which had much in common with the 9780.
    The 9790 has OS7, which is a much better OS, browser and in my opinion a better experience all the way around. The hardware in it is much better as well. 1ghz processor, a bunch more RAM and larger 8GB internal storage. I don't even use a memory card. (I don't have too many songs/videos i carry around - i stream mostly.) I like having the touchscreen, but like to use the trackpad to feel retro. lol

I don't think you made a mistake with the 9780 - i think it's an awesome looking device and will get you by social/messaging/light browsing... but i think that just about any of the OS7 devices are better specs-wise. 9790 is a real slender device. the 9780 will feel like a brick compared to the 9790.

I use photo studio pro and i get amazing pics with the 9790. it's got a great camera that i believe is pretty close to the 9780. The one thing it doesn't have is the 2-stage focus/shutter button. I've got quite used to NOT using it as the autofocus on the 9790 is quite good for my use. They both save a 5MP image. Take a look at this blog post i wrote about mobile photography. The images in the article are all taken on a 9790 and processed with Photo Studio Pro.
    Mobile Photography Prints on Canvas | Spitting Images
    surely the 9780 isnt that thick/heavy.
    i dont need most of the os7 features, however im concerned about the browser, its good enough for email and stuff right?
    i dont really care about hardware as long as it runs smoothly

do you use the touchscreen alot or mainly the trackpad?
    thanks guys,
    03-23-13 12:33 PM
    You made a wise choice. For your requirements, the 9780 is more than sufficient.

I upgtaded to a 9780 from a Curve over two years ago. I was one of the first to get it as I was lucky and got the first unit shipped to a store in Seattle. It has been rock solid and a great business tool. I could not live without it.

Stop worrying and just enjoy using it! You did the right thing.
    03-23-13 03:58 PM
    I have been very satisfied with my 9780. Had it for one year! Its a great phone.
    03-23-13 04:03 PM
    i know i shouldnt be worrying but im practically tearing my hair out since i dont know if i chose the right one. the only things im really worried about are:

no touchscreen: (ive only ever used touchscreen phones so im not sure if this is a big hit)

os6: is there a big difference between os6 and 7.1?

thickness: 14mm sounds quite thick, is it? im not looking for an iphone 5 thinness but it seems rather thick, 11mm is what most bb's are like now. is there much of a difference? does it bother you when writing?

thanks everyone,
    03-24-13 09:11 AM
    I have had 8 BBs so far the 9780 was a work horse in my mind the battery could not be beat.... i also liked the sound quality when playing music through the speaker... the 9360 Curve is a loud device loved it for music too but the battery life was poor,the 9790 was okay but if your going to spend the cash get a little deeper with 9900..
    I`m now a BB9900 user nice device great keyboard also loud and big but cant wait for the Q10 love the keyboards.
    The 9780 is a great BB for your first BB experience enjoy it while you can. LOL!
    03-26-13 01:16 PM
    okay guys it came yesterday. ive been having some problems.
    when i swipe down on the trackpad it creaks.
    and the more you go to the left the more the buttons sink in this oreder
    call
    blackberry button
    back
    end
    also the trackpad seems to be more on the right of the hole its in than the left, o it gives it a small lip.

should i be concerned. is this all fixable with a housing change?
    03-27-13 11:22 AM
    Did you buy it new or used? a new one should not have these problems as you described.If new i would take it back you should have some sort of warranty i`m sure..if used i`m sure someone knew of the slight problems and possibly couldn't be bothered to buy a new complete housing for it... that`s what i would do.... Fixable YES!
    Sorry to hear this...That`s not the way to start your first BB experience.
    03-27-13 02:44 PM
    The thing is built like a tank.
    I gave my wife this phone and it ends up very often on the hands of my children (2 year old and 1 year old).
    Last time the baby threw the phone down the stairs, the battery and the cover came off. Nothing is broken and all is right.

If any of the things you mentioned affects the performance, then have it changed. But if they don't, I'm just guessing that you don't really need to have the housing changed. Unless it's severely beat up, I woulndn't mess with it.

About the thickness, in my opinion it's just right. I've handled some of the newer curves or whatnot at the stores and from friends and they feel too flimsy or thin to my taste.
    Then again, I'm a long time BB user and am accustomed to that thickness. I just moved from the 9810 to the iPhone 5 and find it more comfortable to use the latter with a case that makes it feel thicker... but that's just me.

Regarding the touchscreen, I'd say that if you haven't used a capacitive touchscreen before, you won't miss having no touchscreen.
    But once you go touchscreen, you won't want to go back... but then again, there's a price to pay and I'm guessing you got the 9780 because it was cheap(er)...

The perfect balance? that will all depend on what you use it for and your preferences. My advice is that you just give it a try and enjoy.
    03-27-13 08:53 PM
    I got it as new. The seller says its immaculate.
    The cover can move up and down 1mm.I'm sure its nothing. Thanks guys!
    03-28-13 02:39 AM
    Okay the mute button is easier to press than the unlock button. This is no big deal right andit dosent click as loud.
    03-28-13 09:00 AM
    Rock solid quality phone with excellent battery life. Especially better thanks to the lack of that daft touch screen.

I also come to the Bold 9780 from using a touch screen. Took a couple of months to stop poking at the screen, but going strong every since. Would not part with this for anything now. Including poncy touch screen phones.

If it looks wonky, then I would pursue a replacement from you supplier. It should not look wonky if it is brand new. Did this come fully boxed?

Once you have the phone, update the OS. Personally I am a massive fan of version .666 as it is solid, reliable and great UMA. Other people like the .7xx versions. Personal choice really. Any upgrade above .650 fixes a few daft bugs in the phone.

You will not regret buying this phone. Quality audio (buy decent headphones).
    03-28-13 11:06 AM
    Rock solid quality phone with excellent battery life. Especially better thanks to the lack of that daft touch screen.

I also come to the Bold 9780 from using a touch screen. Took a couple of months to stop poking at the screen, but going strong every since. Would not part with this for anything now. Including poncy touch screen phones.

If it looks wonky, then I would pursue a replacement from you supplier. It should not look wonky if it is brand new. Did this come fully boxed?

Once you have the phone, update the OS. Personally I am a massive fan of version .666 as it is solid, reliable and great UMA. Other people like the .7xx versions. Personal choice really. Any upgrade above .650 fixes a few daft bugs in the phone.

You will not regret buying this phone. Quality audio (buy decent headphones).
    its supposed to be used but as new nothing wonky but the buttons have different resistance and different clicking volumes and im not sure if this is bad. (the keyboards fine)

how do you upgrade?
    03-28-13 01:28 PM
    Download .666 installer from the links here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...dafone-653712/

Install to PC

Go into the C:/Program Files (x86)/Common Files/Research In Motion/AppLoader folder and delete the Vendor.xml file. This is what makes it vodafone, once deleted it will work on your phone as all upgrades work on all phones.

Then connect your phone to the PC and run apploader.exe from the same folder.

Follow the prompts on the screen. It will offer to backup for you. I often go through the choices of apps and loose things like Facebook I don't need and all the spare languages.

It is also worth buying yourself a big micro SD card. Get yourself a 32GB one from someone like Sandisk (but be careful of fakes)
    03-28-13 01:56 PM
    just bought one second hand on eBay very good deal. had it for a week and loving it. the size is a charm and its surprisingly robust! its very well designed and built. cant believe this phone is 3 years old

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    11-07-13 06:13 AM