Thinking of upgrading from my 8900 to a 9700 but would like to know if IRC works.
    01-01-10 09:38 PM
    give me a link to a irc program and ill test it
    01-01-10 09:46 PM
    http://firestrm.thruhere.net/irc/enter/jmircm.jad

from thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/tour-9630-irc-266165/

If you don't know how to get on irc I am not sure it will be possible, but if you do know, please try an efnet server, for instance irc.colosolutions.com

thx very much.
    Last edited by scarymonster; 01-01-10 at 10:16 PM.
    01-01-10 10:10 PM
    jmIRC works for me on my 9700
    01-02-10 01:27 AM
    I've had difficulty getting on Efnet myself. I think its an identd problem

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-10 04:43 AM
    I've tried about 5 different IRC clients and so far, the only one that works is the jmirc-m version posted above. It has some issues, but it's the only option right now.
    01-02-10 06:20 AM
    This is great! I was able to connect on nevernet and join a channel...but how do you post? I hit the menu button, select "message," type my post, menu button, "ok," and that doesn't seem to work. I'd be sooo happy if I can get this to work!!!

01-02-10 09:46 AM
    Damn people STILL use IRC? I haven't used that in years.....

01-02-10 10:03 AM
    penguin, if you install the jmirc-m version above the code has been modified to enter text to irc by selecting the enter/return key on your bb. I find it a lot better than vanilla jmirc where I had to click the trackball.

Aknarra what issues are you having with jmirc-m?

I now have it setup and connected to efnet via a bnc (znc) on a unix shell. This means when I move around town or loose my signal in the office (lift or basement etc) I do not drop from irc as the bnc keeps the connection. I then reconnect invisablly back to the bnc when I get my signal back. znc even replays you a text buffer of any conversation held in the channel while you were disconnected !

JPK, does your mobile provider have an APN and have you added it to you tcp/ip menu? I had another issue with my provider where I had to delete a wap service book to get on irc. This happened all of a sudden after having irc working for a few months. They must have made a change somewhere. I was pretty stumped until someone suggested the fix on here.

Thanks everyone else for your replies. Seems as though there should be no issue with the 9700 and irc.
    Last edited by scarymonster; 01-02-10 at 11:09 AM.
    01-02-10 11:01 AM
    Excellent! Thanks scary. I swear I had tried that before I posted...but now it's working fine. It's wild to be chatting in one of my favorite haunts from 10 years ago on my phone .

01-02-10 11:21 AM
    Thats great news penguin glad it works. It's a great little client. I had to use vanilla jmirc last night and it was horrible after using jmirc-m for a while.
    01-02-10 11:36 AM
    cant get it to work always get an url problem as it cant connect to a server
    01-02-10 12:18 PM
    can any1 confirm if it will work with wifi only?
    01-02-10 12:45 PM
    SM:

While it works, it's slow at times. Not really fond of the way messages are sent, would rather see a text field at the bottom of channel window. I can't seem to switch apps while it's running, there is no option in the menu and my hot-key doesn't work.

I don't use it often so it's not a deal breaker, I just wanted to be able to get my IRC fix now and then.
    01-02-10 02:21 PM
    Slow in general or slow using wifi?

01-02-10 03:20 PM
    SM:

While it works, it's slow at times. Not really fond of the way messages are sent, would rather see a text field at the bottom of channel window. I can't seem to switch apps while it's running, there is no option in the menu and my hot-key doesn't work.

I don't use it often so it's not a deal breaker, I just wanted to be able to get my IRC fix now and then.
    What device are you using?
    01-02-10 04:02 PM
    cant get it to work always get an url problem as it cant connect to a server
    filmman do you have an APN entered in your tcp/ip setting in your bb advanced options?
    01-02-10 04:03 PM
    Slow in general or slow using wifi?

Slow in general. Sometimes after hitting "enter" to send text, the little clock icon will show up.

I'm using a 9700, which is why I'm posting in the 9700 forum.
    01-02-10 04:37 PM
    it works for me but its kind of slow as aknarra stated it clocks every now and then but I like having a client for it.
    01-02-10 05:10 PM
    Slow in general. Sometimes after hitting "enter" to send text, the little clock icon will show up.

I'm using a 9700, which is why I'm posting in the 9700 forum.

Yeh, I realise that, I thought I saw you had something about a non blackberry device under your profile name.

It's not slow on my 8900 and I thought the 9700 had a faster proccy and more memory.
    01-02-10 05:46 PM
    SM:

That's strange - the End key doesn't jump you out of the application? It works fine on mine. And I completely agree about wanting a text field at the bottom of the window. That would be a lot better. I was chatting earlier this morning & would miss some messages as i'm typing out a response.
    01-02-10 05:51 PM
    filmman do you have an APN entered in your tcp/ip setting in your bb advanced options?
    no i dont have it Enabled
    01-02-10 05:56 PM
    no i dont have it Enabled
    Ask o2 what their settings are for their APN or ask on the o2 thread first I guess. You usally don't need a user or password, just the APN entered.
    01-02-10 06:24 PM
    That's strange - the End key doesn't jump you out of the application? It works fine on mine. And I completely agree about wanting a text field at the bottom of the window. That would be a lot better. I was chatting earlier this morning & would miss some messages as i'm typing out a response.
    Yeah, the "End" key works, but I have the right convienece key set to switch apps, and I know it's a 2 step key, but it still doesn't work. And my left key is set to open Gtalk, it does, but only after popping up the message window and it takes forever.
    01-02-10 06:32 PM
    what about wifi-only? can someone confirm will it work with only wifi?
    01-02-10 08:23 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD