So!
    I would first like to say, if it wasn't obvious, that I am making the switch from the iPhone 3G to the BlackBerry Bold. I am going to keep my iPhone to entertain me I guess since I just took a look at the apps out for BB Bold (on my friends BB Bold) and am dying with boredom, I spent probably close to 100$+ on the App store and I am a complete iPhone junky, but iPhones are getting out of trend, and my materialistic nature of needing the newest and latest gadget around(I know I'm horrible), I figured I need the BlackBerry Bold. So I'm going to get it. One thing though to make my decision absolutely final (since I won't be able to change for two years), Will the browser be unbearable coming from Safari's iPhone browser? I hear there are multiple browsers, some downloadable, such as the BOLT Browser and Opera and what not, so I was wondering how those compare to the iPhone's browser. I have researched it a bit and most forums and videos mostly compare speed tests, but I could care less about the .3 second delay. Does the internet display like it would on a computer? From what I've seen it does, but does it do it well or is it all glitched out? I have read comments saying that the iPhone's browser is unbeatable at this point but I just want to know if it's bearable. Also, what are some key things that I should be sure to do when I first get my BB Bold, such as should I replace the track ball with a G1 ball immediately or should I buy a screen protector ( is it really needed?) or should I replace the silver metal ring around the phone with a sleeker black ring? I'm 17 years old so I don't really know a whole lot with the technological terminology but any help would be great.
    Thanks.

Edit* Oh does the track ball change colors like the T-Mobile Sidekick? Just wondering...
    05-30-09 07:24 PM
    Welcome.

Browser... not even close. I don't care what anyone says, Bolt, Opera and even SkyFire come close. SkyFire is the closest, not close, but the closest of the two. Flash is what gets it there, but none of these browsers will make the screen larger. A big part of Safari's success is also the large display. It's easier to scroll around on the iPhone and with 3.0, copy and paste from the browser will be easy as pie.

Trackball... the g1's trackball sucks. Get the 8900's trackball.

Bezel... the black bezel isn't slimmer, it's just a different color.

I did both... here's my thread. I also have an Invisible Shield screen proctector.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/why...-doing-232230/
    05-30-09 07:32 PM
    Welcome.

Browser... not even close. I don't care what anyone says, Bolt, Opera and even SkyFire come close. SkyFire is the closest, not close, but the closest of the two. Flash is what gets it there, but none of these browsers will make the screen larger. A big part of Safari's success is also the large display. It's easier to scroll around on the iPhone and with 3.0, copy and paste from the browser will be easy as pie.

Trackball... the g1's trackball sucks. Get the 8900's trackball.

Bezel... the black bezel isn't slimmer, it's just a different color.

I did both... here's my thread. I also have an Invisible Shield screen proctector.
    SO technically would I be able to make a content transition from the iPhone Safari browser to the SkyFire/Bolt browser? or do you think I'd be very agitated with the browser...?
    05-30-09 07:41 PM
    SO technically would I be able to make a content transition from the iPhone Safari browser to the SkyFire/Bolt browser? or do you think I'd be very agitated with the browser...?
    That's personal preference. I don't really use any browsers. Of course, you'd be able to transition, but you'll definitely see it's not the same.
    05-30-09 07:43 PM
    I was never a fan of the iphone browser (in particular when you scroll, it accidentally clicks links on the page, and also all the zooming,in and out)
    so I think that the Bold's browser is the best.

fyi BB's do not play well with Macs so hopefully you have a PC.

-screen protector is a must.
    Should you replace the silver bezel? I say no because then your Bold will look like EVERYONE else's.

A few helpful links for you
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/thi...owsing-128452/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/sol...viewing-93295/
    05-30-09 07:46 PM
    That's personal preference. I don't really use any browsers. Of course, you'd be able to transition, but you'll definitely see it's not the same.
    Okay thanks so much for the advice! I rely a lot on my iPhone browser, I'm having second thoughts, I really hope I won't be disapointed... but I think ultimately I will get it, so hopefully the BB Bold will get the job done at the least. Oh and does trackball change colors when idle, like the T-Mobile Sidekicks?

Oh I have a PC... but was thinking of getting a macbook pro. Maybe I might have to get a Dell then... yikes haha!
    05-30-09 07:48 PM
    No the trackball does not change colors when idle.
    Keep in mind, Blackberries are primarily business devices lol
    05-30-09 07:49 PM
    No the trackball does not change colors when idle.
    Keep in mind, Blackberries are primarily business devices lol
    HAhahah! I got it. Thanks so much. Btw, that link was super helpful! The one about what you like about the Internet Browser on the Bold. Last question... Can you change the scrolling speed? As in can I like change how fast the scrolling goes down a page? Because I did read that it is tedious at times.
    05-30-09 07:54 PM
    Yes. There are shortcuts for scrolling.
    press the spacebar to scroll down.
    shift - space bar for up.

t-takes you to the top
    b- takes you to the bottom of the page.

By the way, Get the Mac but hold onto your old PC. Thats what I did
    05-30-09 08:01 PM
    Once you get into the bold and start to see its full potential the browser won't be an issue. You
    Can download bolt and its awsome to be able to have sereral pages open at once. You'll never be able to
    Be able to Live without copy and paste again once you have it. Good luck with everything hope you enjoy
    Your new purchase.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 08:13 PM
    Browser is doable with wap sites on native and Skyfire/Bolt on full.

But yeah its a downgrade for browsing. Bearable, yes.

05-30-09 08:27 PM
    If you want the latest and greatest, why not wait a few weeks/months and get a new model iPhone with OS 3.0? The Bold is so 2008... Or wait a few days and try to get your mitts on a Pre.
    05-31-09 01:20 AM
    Welcome.

Browser... not even close. I don't care what anyone says, Bolt, Opera and even SkyFire come close. SkyFire is the closest, not close, but the closest of the two. Flash is what gets it there, but none of these browsers will make the screen larger.
    isn't the whole idea of SkyFire being amazing the flash ability?
    05-31-09 02:07 AM
    I have both iphone 3g and bold. I almost never use iphone browser anymore. I like the speed of bold browser on column view. It does not look as nice as safari but faster to read content. I have been using opera for my rss reader.

05-31-09 03:44 AM
    isn't the whole idea of SkyFire being amazing the flash ability?
    IMO, flash shouldn't make it amazing; a great addition, but let's not forget about the browsing experience aside from flash. I have both and to me, and the closest may be SkyFire for Storm (if that ever comes out).
    05-31-09 09:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD