I currently have an IPhone (it's an 8g), and while I like the phone I have one big problem with it. I do not have a computer at home. I use my phone for web browsing, facebook, lots of texts and emails, camera,the calendar and the alarm clock,the turn by turn maps (which is free with the Iphone). I am also very active (and chair) several committees that I volunteer on. so, my cell phones have gotten a lot of use. I do not however like the battery life. According to the At&t rep I spoke with the longevity of the battery is based on my use. However I don't like the fact that I charge it all night and by 3-4PM it's dead and shuts itself off. So that being said.My contract expires on 4/17 and I'm considering a few phones. Should I go with the Motorola Backflip, the Bold 9700 or a newer Iphone? Any suggestions?
    03-24-10 12:11 PM
    Blackberry 9700 battery is great....but...web browsing is nothing like you are used to, but they are hopefully releasing flash for the web soon. My mom has an iphone after a bb 9000 and loves the iphone because it is easier to use, i know but she is 65. I don't know anything about the backflip. It boils down what you "really" use it for most. You will get a lot of blackberry bias on here because its a bb forum.
    03-24-10 12:19 PM
    Any phone you workhorse to death is going to have battery issues, personally for me after years with RIM I would not go back to BB, yes the battery life is better, but web browsing in no where even close on a BB you'll definitely miss Safari I can assure you of that and not to mention the apps you use.. apps are much better on the iPhone

I don't know what you day consists of but if it were me I'd just figure out a way to charge my phone whenever needed, car, meetings, whatever... and if you can figure that out, then I'd just upgrade to the 3GS
    Last edited by cleverocks22; 03-24-10 at 12:26 PM.
    03-24-10 12:23 PM
    A lot of browsing on any phone is no fun. I don't think they were ever intended to replace a computer. Why don't you get one of those $250 netbooks for home web use and get whatever phone you like the best.
    03-24-10 12:32 PM
    as far as web browsing goes, blackberry is in no way comparable to the iphone. With that being said, it is still very usable.

Being somewhat experienced with smartphones, the blackberry 9700 has by far the best battery life. Turning the connection to EDGE doesnt impact web browsing speeds, but ensures that i have 40% of battery left after 12 hours of heavy usage.
    03-24-10 12:37 PM
    don't get the backflip, it's not going to hold up to your crazy lifestyle and it's sluggish. If you do a lot of emails, the 9700 is your winner. Leaving the iphone will be hard though. How will you spend your days when you don't have anymore pointless apps? work!? I am just kidding, but it's hard to leave the iphone's music, video, and web browser which are all top notch. The Bold has a huge battery and probably would last you the whole day with one charge. If T-Mobile wasn't such a good deal, I would switch and get an iphone.
    03-24-10 04:20 PM
    I currently have an IPhone (it's an 8g), and while I like the phone I have one big problem with it. I do not have a computer at home. I use my phone for web browsing, facebook, lots of texts and emails, camera,the calendar and the alarm clock,the turn by turn maps (which is free with the Iphone). I am also very active (and chair) several committees that I volunteer on. so, my cell phones have gotten a lot of use. I do not however like the battery life. According to the At&t rep I spoke with the longevity of the battery is based on my use. However I don't like the fact that I charge it all night and by 3-4PM it's dead and shuts itself off. So that being said.My contract expires on 4/17 and I'm considering a few phones. Should I go with the Motorola Backflip, the Bold 9700 or a newer Iphone? Any suggestions?
    Sell me your iPhone, and go get yourself a BlackBerry 9700...which by no means can not compare to how much better an iPhone is based on browser and usability.
    03-24-10 04:26 PM
    wait for the new bb coming in april.(umm blackberry slider or the blackberry pearl 9100).
    03-24-10 04:29 PM
    wait for the new bb coming in april.(umm blackberry slider or the blackberry pearl 9100).
    Stop that rubbish lie. There is no definite date on any new BB. Especially considering she's with AT&T, and that crummy slider will be a CDMA phone for Sprint only.
    03-24-10 04:36 PM
    Plenty of carriers offer a trial period with cell phones. I say pick up a 9700 for a couple of weeks, and take it for a spin.

Of course I am partial, but the 9700 is a great fit for me. I tried the iPhone for a couple of weeks. It was nice, but the keyboard, battery, and messaging on a BB can't be touched.
    03-24-10 07:23 PM
    9700- Good battery life, the perfect keyboard imo, good mobile/wap sites
    Backflip- motoblur+android is good for social networking, battery life is decent
    Iphone- ok battery, but has very good multimedia/internet capabilities
    03-24-10 08:47 PM
    the 9700 is awesome-its tough to beat
    03-24-10 08:49 PM
    Before looking for another type of phone, which could lead to disappointments when you get it, check out something like juice pack to extend your battery life mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more!
    03-24-10 10:04 PM
    Plenty of carriers offer a trial period with cell phones. I say pick up a 9700 for a couple of weeks, and take it for a spin.

Of course I am partial, but the 9700 is a great fit for me. I tried the iPhone for a couple of weeks. It was nice, but the keyboard, battery, and messaging on a BB can't be touched.
    he speaks the truth.
    03-24-10 11:27 PM
    Before looking for another type of phone, which could lead to disappointments when you get it, check out something like juice pack to extend your battery life mophie - iPhone Battery, iPod Cases, iPhone accessories and more!
    Personally having owned many HTC WM devices, old treos, BB's and iphones over the years, I think its ridiculous to have to buy a $80 battery case in 2010 now, which adds considerable bulk and weight to a slim phone just to make it through a day.

Lets face the music, Apple skimped on the battery in the phone and couldve easily put a 1500mah pack or bigger in there instead of a 1150-1200. All for want of saving a few bucks on the build price. The poor battery life is no secret as Apple has a page on their site about getting better battery life.

Unfortunately their p*ss poor answer is "turn off 3G, turn off location, turn off push email, turn off WIFI/bluetooth" etc, aka dont use your phone! *bangs head on wall*.

Saying that I went from a 3GS to a 9700 and couldnt be happier with the battery life. I can hammer on the 9700 all day (and not hold back using my phone for fear of battery life) and still have 50% at the end of the day. Versus the iphone which with the same type of usage would be low battery by 6pm with MUCH less use. Sure the web browser and apps are a ton better, but what good is it if you dont have a powered phone a little more than halfway through the day?
    Last edited by stuaw11; 03-25-10 at 03:14 AM.
    03-25-10 03:07 AM
    I had the Bold 9000 before moving onto the Curve 8900 and although the battery life is good on both and its brilliant at doing what it does (E-mail, Cal etc) after using my girlfriends iPhone 3gs personally I would havnt another i'de go straight out and buy an iphone, its far superior in so many ways, if you use the web browser alot then you really dont want a blackberry after an iPhone you will be disapointed.

Wait for the iPhone 4g to be released in the summer!!
    03-25-10 03:26 AM
    i had an iphone 3g n i finally shifted to bold 9700 n i simply love it though its browse is not as good as iphone's but still its much better....!!!
    03-25-10 01:06 PM
    I would say pick up th Bold 9700 the battery on that thing is the best out right now in my opinion.
    03-25-10 01:25 PM
    Iphone is good for web browsing, but the Blackberry does everything besides web browsing Better
    03-25-10 01:30 PM
    Iphone is good for web browsing, but the Blackberry does everything besides web browsing Better
    there always that one person who has to light the match
    03-25-10 01:38 PM
    there always that one person who has to light the match
    Isn't that the truth lol
    03-25-10 02:10 PM
    Personally having owned many HTC WM devices, old treos, BB's and iphones over the years, I think its ridiculous to have to buy a $80 battery case in 2010 now, which adds considerable bulk and weight to a slim phone just to make it through a day.

Lets face the music, Apple skimped on the battery in the phone and couldve easily put a 1500mah pack or bigger in there instead of a 1150-1200. All for want of saving a few bucks on the build price. The poor battery life is no secret as Apple has a page on their site about getting better battery life.

Unfortunately their p*ss poor answer is "turn off 3G, turn off location, turn off push email, turn off WIFI/bluetooth" etc, aka dont use your phone! *bangs head on wall*.

Saying that I went from a 3GS to a 9700 and couldnt be happier with the battery life. I can hammer on the 9700 all day (and not hold back using my phone for fear of battery life) and still have 50% at the end of the day. Versus the iphone which with the same type of usage would be low battery by 6pm with MUCH less use. Sure the web browser and apps are a ton better, but what good is it if you dont have a powered phone a little more than halfway through the day?
    I couldn't have said it better myself. A couple of my buddies have iPhones, and they were talking about their battery life one day, and my friend says "I never turn the push on, it kills my battery life..." I couldn't believe it, all the hype over the iPhone, and you have to disable features just so the battery will last the day. I've got Bluetooth and GPS on all the time and it doesn't effect my battery life adversely.
    03-25-10 02:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD