Both in the same place yet different hands. I run the speedtest on my dads iPhone using the speedtest.net test and get approx 2mb per second. I run mine and get maybe 300kb. Wth? When I compare browsing speeds its both the same... What's wrong with my Bold? (I'm running .247)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-09 06:08 PM
    Nothing wrong, different technology that's it .. Bold compress data not iphone!!

06-20-09 06:46 PM
    Bold is using 1/7th of the bandwidth of the iPhone.
    This is part of the reason the iphone has lousy battery life. It needs to draw more to do the same job.

Last edited by BergerKing; 06-20-09 at 06:58 PM.
    06-20-09 06:56 PM
    Oh so mine just ends up using less?

Yet my friend has the Storm and he gets 1mb...

06-20-09 06:59 PM
    Oh so mine just ends up using less?

Yet my friend has the Storm and he gets 1mb...

One MB of what?
    06-20-09 07:08 PM
    don't let all these ppl give u a million different excuses, iPhone is just better, period!!!!!!

06-20-09 07:13 PM
    1mb per second speed

06-20-09 07:14 PM
    don't let all these ppl give u a million different excuses, iPhone is just better, period!!!!!!

That was an intelligent contribution to the discussion.

On subject though, BB speed tests can be inaccurate as BIS/BES and compression can skew the results.
    06-20-09 07:19 PM
    Apparently, the newest version of the iPhone can pass data traffic at 3.5 G speeds, up to 7.2 M per second, with favourable signal strength and network conditions. The Bold is only 3G (not 3.5) and cannot go beyond 3.6 M - at least that is what the specs and the carrier are saying. Data compression will alter the results of any speed test site, so the BOLD is not going to show up as very fast, despite moving along a decent clip.
    06-20-09 07:20 PM
    Both in the same place yet different hands. I run the speedtest on my dads iPhone using the speedtest.net test and get approx 2mb per second. I run mine and get maybe 300kb. Wth? When I compare browsing speeds its both the same... What's wrong with my Bold? (I'm running .247)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.

Not true
    Try the following experiment. Using Bolt broser and choosing two heavy in data pages compare how long it takes them to open such pages. I did this just about half hour ago using my bold on 4.6.0.266 (.282 was giving me spoty reception) and my wife's Iphone 3G S. You will find that the bold opens the pages faster. By the way the pages I used were crackberry.com and theiphoneblog.com

Last edited by jmbel13; 06-20-09 at 07:33 PM.
    06-20-09 07:30 PM
    I run speedtest (which is the downloaded mobile version) and i get around 700 Kb/s MAX download over my 15MB WIFI service ..

I would ahte to see the test results over the edge service which is only in my area right now as rogers is a sucky baby about get 3G here yet.
    06-20-09 07:45 PM

Lol wow!! That's all you can say!! That doesn't mean anything

06-21-09 12:24 PM
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com.

Not true
    Try the following experiment. Using Bolt broser and choosing two heavy in data pages compare how long it takes them to open such pages. I did this just about half hour ago using my bold on 4.6.0.266 (.282 was giving me spoty reception) and my wife's Iphone 3G S. You will find that the bold opens the pages faster. By the way the pages I used were crackberry.com and theiphoneblog.com

That is because the Bolt browser sends you compressed pages. Safari is a straight up web browser just like on your Mac or PC. If Bolt or Opera Mini weren't faster than Safari than that would be pretty sad.
    06-21-09 12:34 PM

LOL. Gotta love comments like that

06-21-09 12:34 PM
    Who really cares if the iphone is faster? This is a BB forum. Not a " my iphone is so fast and still can't send mms" forum

06-21-09 01:05 PM
    i didnt know you could use the speedtest on a phone. cool, thanks for sharing
    06-21-09 01:07 PM
    Who really cares if the iphone is faster? This is a BB forum. Not a " my iphone is so fast and still can't send mms" forum

LOL... nice. i love the "BB sux. my brother has one and my iphone is the cool and bestest in the whole earth!" comments on the random forums around the net. kids and there toys... LOL... iphone... LOL
    06-21-09 01:28 PM
    2 Mbit/second is the same as 200 KiloBytes/second
    Therefore, 300 KiloBytes/second would be 3 Mbit/second.

Tada.

*note, these are round numbers for ease, but same principle.
    06-21-09 01:46 PM
    i dont know why these dicsussions still exist. these phones have been out for a while now and everyone should know the ipone is better for the internet. but the bold internet is still amazing for me
    06-21-09 02:25 PM
    Its jus funny to me that an iphone lacks features found on a 20$ trackfone...

06-21-09 02:29 PM
    @maddmaxx review your math. You are off. 300 kbs I'm pretty sure is point 3 MB.
    Last edited by element526; 06-21-09 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
    06-21-09 02:41 PM
    @maddmaxx review your math. You are off. 300 kbs I'm pretty sure is point 3 MB.
    That is correct, if you are refering to MEGABYTES, speed test rates in mega BITS.

The other measurement is KILO BYTES.

Google it, 300 KiloBYTES = x megaBITS.
    It's the small letters that mess people up.

All ISP's rate their speed in megabits, but you actually get about a 10th of that in kilobytes.
    06-21-09 02:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD