This post is for anyone who wanted the bold 9900 and feeling a bit on the fence after iOS5.

After 4 years of using the iPhone, I am now sick of it and looking to change. I've also recently caught an interest in the bold 9900... but after seeing the new iOS5, I don't know what to get. What should i do? Anyone else feeling the same?

-Are you still looking to get the bold 9900?
    -Are you ditching the bold and getting the iPhone(iOS5)?
    -What are your top 5 reasons for switching?
    -From here till when the bold 9900 is released, and after - Do you honestly/realistically think RIM will improve it's devices to atleast compete with future phones? Why/why not?
    -Can the bold 9900 compete with the iOS5?
    -Do you even care?
    -Is iMessage really the BBM killer??

Any thoughts, questions, answers regarding your choice, please post them all here, Thanks!
    Last edited by KingLuTheGreat; 06-06-11 at 10:20 PM.
    06-06-11 10:16 PM
    iMessage is going to kill us and Blackberry will shut down.
    No, Just kidding. Well maybe.

All I know is that I just might not purchase another BB when my upgrade is available.
    06-06-11 10:23 PM
    No desire whatsoever to get an iPhone, don't care what version of iOS it's running. I deleted BBM from my Torch, so iMessage is a non-factor.
    As for all the other questions, no, I don't care.

The only thing that will sway me from the 9900 at this point is if the Torch 2 somehow blows me away more.
    06-06-11 10:31 PM
    I don't use BBM. I always delete it. The 9900 is my dream phone at this point. The keyboard alone has me drooling.
    06-06-11 10:37 PM
    9900 all the way!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-11 10:42 PM
    I think that imessage might kill bbm , even though in many ways it doesn't perform as well as bbm Apples marketing team will make imessage the best thing ever.

Appple is the unquestionably the best marketing company in the world

06-06-11 10:54 PM
    The way i see it if you like iphone stick with it. i tried it, and its just not for me. To be honest i feel that my old 8310 curve does what i need it to better. Then again I'm a lil bais. i currently use(personal) 9000,9700,and 9800 with att and a 9500 vzn.
    my company has forced me to carry a att and vzn iphone 4 though. The only good thing is that there free.
    Last edited by wr.ortega12; 06-06-11 at 11:19 PM.
    06-06-11 11:15 PM
    Have no interest in anything Apple. BBM is a none issue for me. Its albout the email and keyboard. 9930 for me
    Last edited by travaz; 06-06-11 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Fingers faster than Brain
    06-06-11 11:25 PM
    I'm not that interested in the iPhone either but it seems Apple, like Google continue to make their devices more and more appealing. Does the iPhone still limit the number of emails you can have to 200? Will it still be difficult to find a contact and call them at a moments notice? Even if they do, they seem to be listening to their customers and improving their devices. Android too! The new Droid X2 apparently has an LED notification light: it's bright, it supports multiple colors, and it's hard to ignore.

Soooooo, if these makers come out with more devices that have a physical keyboard....LOOOOK OUUUUT!

Since I'm on AT&T, maybe I should start looking into the iPhone 5 too since I'm considering Android later this month. ? Couldn't hurt.
    06-06-11 11:48 PM
    I took a glance at the iOS5 features, and there's nothing at all that tempts me. I'm not going to switch platforms just because they have something that compares to BBM when they still don't have a keyboard (what's the point?). We have an alerts menu (and if I'm not on the homescreen, I have my convenience key set for messages). Nothing else is of any use or interest to me.
    06-07-11 12:09 AM
    I watched a youtube video about iOS5 and I honestly started to get jealous, after the video was done I realized one simple fact: No physical keyboard = no way in ****. I really do hope RIM steps it up a bit with the features of their old OS because Apple is moving a mile a minute... Just how fluent games are played and stuff on the iphone makes me jealous.. Maybe, HOPEFULLY developers can do better with the newer phones/future OS's. BlackBerry has my heart, just hope they step it up over the next year or so :/ (still buying the 9930 the second it comes out for the record)
    youngifame likes this.
    06-07-11 12:24 AM
    9900 or torch 2 for me. Don't use BBM so no need for iwhatever
    06-07-11 12:37 AM
    i still heavily vouch for a physical keyboard but it all comes down to what my friends are getting. ultimately, the phone is a communication device and if all my friends move to iOS then the least i will consider is getting an ipod touch.
    06-07-11 06:12 AM
    Watching the keynote show was scary for me. I have an ip4 in my collection of phones and an iPad and I like them a whole lot. The way these guys talk is cult-like though-- instead of saying "hey, we have something that'll help you in your daily life"... they're assuming and hoping that your life revolves around their OS instead. It's a bloody phone for sh!t's sake. There to make phone calls when I need, there to remind me I have an appointment, and there to deliver my emails.....
    These guys are scary. And alot of you know Exactly what I mean.

06-07-11 06:24 AM
    I like both. But not gunna lie, if the iPhone wasn't so expensive and was the same price on vodafone as the blackberys... I would get it instead. But it's not, so I'm getting my extremely close second choice... the 9900.
    06-07-11 07:36 AM
    There is MORE than enough room for both Apple and RIM.

Choices are good and as soon as RIM gets some new hardware out this fall, all will be good.
    06-07-11 07:54 AM
    I have the best of both worlds...an iphone4 which is my toy device ie apps and games etc etc and my BB 9780 which is my daily workhorse and **** me it does that without a whimper whereas using my iphone4 as a daily workhorse i found it pretty rubbish in all honesty but that was due to the touchscreen keyboard which gives you feedback ie vibration etc.

Definitely will get the 9900 for sure...of course ill have iOS5 on my iphone4 but honestly i wasnt that impressed with the stuff they are putting in.

Apple just doing what they do best...copying off others and making it out that there way is the best way.
    06-07-11 08:05 AM
    The carriers have given up on RIM...RIM has let the snowball roll so far downhill they cant get out of the way. I luv BB but cmon, the device choices are a joke now and att didnt even bother to get the 9780???
    This is the last dance for RIM with the new set of devices. They better make them shine or they are done.
    I got a 9780 from tmobile 2 weeks ago and cannot get my email set up on it on teh device and now the tmobile BIS site does not work!!! I am serious too! WTF is that. RIM has no idea when it will be fixed nor does t mobile.
    06-07-11 08:28 AM
    I am in the exact same boat! I switched to iPhone whenever Verizon released it back in February. I've wanted an iPhone since it was first released on AT&T, but I refuse to change service providers. Verizon is the absolute best in my area and I didn't want to give that up.

I like a lot of the new iOS 5 features, but it still doesn't do everything my BlackBerry did/I want it to do. I have an upgrade due in December and I'm contemplating the 9930. BlackBerry has always done everything that I've wanted it to do flawlessly (with the exception of the crappy Storm2). Everyone always talks about apps as a selling point for the iPhone. I looked in the BB App World and all of the apps I use on a regular basis are there. I have about 25 games on my iPhone but they aren't needed and just eat up battery life anyway. I'm glad the new iOS update is coming in the fall. I'll have a couple of months to play with it before deciding if I want to switch back or not.

I've taken brief breaks away from BlackBerry (tried Android and now iOS) but I think I am just meant to be a BlackBerry man...
    06-07-11 08:33 AM
    [QUOTE=KingLuTheGreat;6388519]This post is for anyone who wanted the bold 9900 and feeling a bit on the fence after iOS5.

After 4 years of using the iPhone, I am now sick of it and looking to change. I've also recently caught an interest in the bold 9900... but after seeing the new iOS5, I don't know what to get. What should i do? Anyone else feeling the same?

I switched from Iphone 3gs - Htc Hd2 - Bold 9780 (my current phone).....3 diff platforms. To be honest iphone is the best in terms of UI & OS stability. The recent IOS 5 is very tempting.....finally got this android style notification system.
    As for switching reason for me.....physical keyboard & led notification. If upcoming Iphone5 comes with led notification..........I'm back to Iphone again. Screw physical keyboard! Iphone's keyboard is not bad either.
    06-07-11 09:32 AM
    So if apple designed their new iphone with the look of the 9900, but the os of iOS5, how many people would be swayed? My previous iphone broke and was forced into buying a new phone early so my upgrade is out the window, so I will buy the 9900 at full price but it sounds like what most of you guys like is the BB design over the OS
    06-07-11 09:54 AM
    I'm as geeky as the next guy, love new tech stuff and gadgets. But I see my past and present BBs as tools, not entertainment. I watch my iP and Android friends struggling to answer their messages and I smile to myself knowing I've made the right choice. Oh sure, they laugh and tease me for having an "antique" that won't even play Angry Birds! (Oh no!) They react as though games and music trumps function! Good for them, they're getting just what they deserve.
    youngifame likes this.
    06-07-11 09:56 AM
    I'm as geeky as the next guy, love new tech stuff and gadgets. But I see my past and present BBs as tools, not entertainment. I watch my iP and Android friends struggling to answer their messages and I smile to myself knowing I've made the right choice. Oh sure, they laugh and tease me for having an "antique" that won't even play Angry Birds! (Oh no!) They react as though games and music trumps function! Good for them, they're getting just what they deserve.
    Hopefully, the 9900 will have hotspot so then we can carry iPods to play angry birds on AND be able to update etc. :-)

eBud likes this.
    06-07-11 11:07 AM
    eBud, you summed up my EXACT feelings! I said something very similar to a buddy of mine I emailed this morning. I took a look at the apps on my iPhone. All of them except maybe one or two I had on my BlackBerry. The only major difference is I have 2 folders of games (none of them are necessary and they just suck battery power).

I freelance and lead a pretty hectic life. I want a phone that excels at being a great, functional phone not a gaming/entertainment device. I want email, texts, social networking, great calendar, tasks, sound profiles (what I miss most - which surprisingly I didn't think I would miss at all) and a nice keyboard (I really miss this too). I guess after writing all of this it just proves that I really am meant for BlackBerry!
    eBud likes this.
    06-07-11 07:00 PM
    I have the best of both worlds...an iphone4 which is my toy device ie apps and games etc etc and my BB 9780 which is my daily workhorse and **** me it does that without a whimper whereas using my iphone4 as a daily workhorse i found it pretty rubbish in all honesty but that was due to the touchscreen keyboard which gives you feedback ie vibration etc.

Definitely will get the 9900 for sure...of course ill have iOS5 on my iphone4 but honestly i wasnt that impressed with the stuff they are putting in.

Apple just doing what they do best...copying off others and making it out that there way is the best way.
    Have you jailbroken it?
    06-07-11 07:24 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD