I am going to Europe for 2 weeks in about a week. I have no reason to need to call/text/use 3g on vacation at all. However, it would be nice to be able to use wifi at hotels, hotspots, etc. Is it possible to just flip my sim card so I couldn't receive any calls or anything but the phone be able to use wifi and not cost me any money?
    06-19-10 06:22 PM
    I am going to Europe for 2 weeks in about a week. I have no reason to need to call/text/use 3g on vacation at all. However, it would be nice to be able to use wifi at hotels, hotspots, etc. Is it possible to just flip my sim card so I couldn't receive any calls or anything but the phone be able to use wifi and not cost me any money?
    The answer to your question has two parts.

1) First of all, the SIM card won't fit into the phone if you flip it around. You'll break it.

2) Instead of taking out the SIM card and losing it or something, turn off your data services:
    Manage Connections --> Mobile Network Options --> Data Services while roaming turn to off.

That way, you can still make calls/texts, but the data feed is shut off. When you want to get data you can use WiFi.
    06-19-10 10:16 PM
    The answer to your question has two parts.

1) First of all, the SIM card won't fit into the phone if you flip it around. You'll break it.
    This is incorrect.

My SIM card sits in my device right now, since before the first time I put the battery in, reversed. This does no damage to the device, and will cause no harm. The card will not break, and it is perfectly safe. Many of us have done this since the Tour came out last year.
    06-19-10 10:18 PM
    This is incorrect.

My SIM card sits in my device right now, since before the first time I put the battery in, reversed. This does no damage to the device, and will cause no harm. The card will not break, and it is perfectly safe. Many of us have done this since the Tour came out last year.
    I stand corrected.
    06-19-10 10:21 PM
    there is no need to flip your sim... simply turn the wireless connections off.

if you are happy enough with wifi for data and need to make a call... a cheap prepaid sim can usually get calls to usa for <10c/min
    06-20-10 07:52 AM
    Unless you currently have an international plan your phone will not work when you go overseas as your SIM ## will not be registered with your phone. I just got back from europe and they charge an exorbanent amount for wifi over there (no such thing as free wifi in europe) so the unlimited verizon international plan is cheaper than using wifi over there. If you decide to get the international plan....make sure u verify your sim card ## with verizon so it works overseas. I had a huge problem with this and an international call to the US is quite expensive when you are troubleshooting.....its like $70 a month but u can get it for just the 2 weeks u r over there and its prorated. Sure beats $5-10 a day for wifi....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-20-10 08:00 AM
    My hotels charge $25--$30/day for wifi--EuroTheives!!

B B
    06-20-10 08:25 AM
    yeah, its a racket. the data plan is so much cheaper.....
    06-20-10 10:07 AM
    Yet calls on VZ or other plans cost WAY too much. I use the BB for e-mail etc. and a prepaid SIM in a separate phone for call. Telestial Explorer SIM allows free incoming calls in civilized countries (ex. USA and Canada) and very cheap outgoing calls with no setup per call charge. There is also an 800 number for your friends to call use that cost you only 35 cents per min. Incoming texts are free and friends can text you at no charge to them via the Telestial site. It has worked for me from the Tower Bridge to the Great Wall and even the Gobi Desert. I kid thee not.

Blazor Boy
    06-20-10 11:37 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I am mostly going to be in Ireland and Scotland. Some of the Bed and Breakfasts we are staying in have free wifi I believe. I guess I am really just worried about getting charged for something over there, but if I turn roaming off then I guess no one could call or text and I should be fine.
    06-20-10 01:29 PM
    international roaming is off by default..you need to call to enable it.. so no call, its off.
    however your phone will still use power to maintain a cellular signal...even tho u cant use it, hence the suggestion to turn off the wireless connection in the options menu...
    you will find free wifi quite regularly in the UK.. coffee shops, small and mid size guesthouses and hotels..even some airports.

International Cell Phones, World Phones, SIM Cards, Satellite Phones has prepaid sims that are real cheap for txt/calls to usa

Thanks for the responses. I am mostly going to be in Ireland and Scotland. Some of the Bed and Breakfasts we are staying in have free wifi I believe. I guess I am really just worried about getting charged for something over there, but if I turn roaming off then I guess no one could call or text and I should be fine.
    06-20-10 02:08 PM
    I stand corrected.
    I would agree with your original comment.

While people haven't broken the contact pins (or SIM), I've seen this happen when people tried to jam a SIM in backwards.

I would just as soon turn off data or take it out completely.
    06-20-10 02:31 PM
    I would agree with your original comment.

While people haven't broken the contact pins (or SIM), I've seen this happen when people tried to jam a SIM in backwards.

I would just as soon turn off data or take it out completely.
    Thanks =).
    06-21-10 07:13 AM
    If you are going to be in the UK, your best bet is to get a LEBARA SIM card for calls and use the WIFI on the phone for everything else. I use lebara when I go to the UK and when you top up 20lb you get 10lb free. Its 4pence to call the us and 10pence to send messages in the uk
    06-21-10 09:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD