I decided my boring white trackball was, well, boring and white, so I decided to dye it. I had another trackball from my retired Curve so I thought I'd experiment with it.

when I went to get some dye, they were out of black... I also wanted a red one, but I was afraid the red dye would turn it some weird shade of (manly) pink. so I decided to just get the dark green since green is a cool color and all.

I poured some of the powder dye in a water bottle and put a little water in it and dropped the trackball in, swished it around a while and left it in there overnight. the next day when I (carefully) took it out and washed the excess off, it was black. I was pleased.

but then when I put it in my BB and it lit up, it was a really cool color of red. not dark green, but red. almost like a blood red color, and it shows up when the lights behind it are on but when they're out it's pitch black. it looks pretty awesome. I went ahead and dyed my other one the same.

I don't have any pics because my camera is messed up and I only have my bold's camera, and I couldn't get the red to shine through with a different light.

I know how you guys are all about some trackball mods, just thought I'd throw that out there. dyeing it works, and the dye is less than 2$ at wal-mart. beats spending 15 bucks on a colored one.
    06-17-09 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the info. I wonder what other color combo's we can get.
    06-17-09 02:21 PM
    That's awesome. What kind of dye did you use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 02:22 PM
    also, here is a pic of the dye I used.
    06-17-09 02:23 PM
    That's awesome. What kind of dye did you use?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    the Rit dye, #35 Dark Green. I found it at wal-mart in the detergent/bleach aisle.
    06-17-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD