LOL! That is such illogical thinking. Do you not have auto ins. because you're so ballin' that you can pay for a new one without a problem? Or do you ONLY have auto ins. because it's the law... Some of us think it's worth it and being able to "afford...full retail" has nothing to do with it.
    Unless you throw the phone at someone's head and get sued for $100,000 in medical bills, this isn't the same thing (which the insurance wouldn't cover anyways)...

Auto insurance includes a lot more than just collision damage to your own vehicle.

If all you ever had to pay for repair costs in a car crash was the repair costs of your own car, auto insurance would be very very different...
    06-03-10 08:57 PM
    Unless you throw the phone at someone's head and get sued for $100,000 in medical bills, this isn't the same thing (which the insurance wouldn't cover anyways)...

Auto insurance includes a lot more than just collision damage to your own vehicle.

If all you ever had to pay for repair costs in a car crash was the repair costs of your own car, auto insurance would be very very different...
    My point about auto ins. had nothing to do with what kind of coverage you have (liability only vs. collison..etc.). My point is that what he's saying is like telling someone they shouldn't buy a BMW unless they could go straight back to the lot and buy a new one if their car were totaled. It's just absurd.
    Last edited by iloveluxury; 06-03-10 at 09:18 PM.
    06-03-10 09:01 PM
    I've never bought insurance for my phones. I'm real careful with them, always get a case and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky but with the monthly fee & deductible, worst come to worst I can always buy one off Ebay or just switch back to an old phone until upgrade time.
    My thoughts exactly. I don't have insurance on my Tour. I used to waste money on insurance, but I have never dropped, lost, or damaged my phone in anyway. Actually, I haven't had a scratch on my device in about two years. I keep it in a skin just in case I happen to drop it, and that is all the insurance I need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-04-10 12:52 PM
    Because it is easier to pay whatever a month and then the deductible then to pay for a new phone in a lump sum.
    06-04-10 04:48 PM
    I canceled my ins. I got through Verizon and got ins. through Square Trade. I posted a thread about it.... Two years of coverage (excluding loss or theft because those aren't concerns of mine) for under $70 with a coupon.
    06-05-10 03:19 AM
    i had a friend who just finished telling me about what a waste of money the insurance was... she removed it from AT&T... wouldn't u know it the following weekend at magic mountain, her iPhone went flying off a roller coaster... yeah, almost $600 and she now has the insurance back on her plan...
    06-05-10 03:59 AM
    i had a friend who just finished telling me about what a waste of money the insurance was... she removed it from AT&T... wouldn't u know it the following weekend at magic mountain, her iPhone went flying off a roller coaster... yeah, almost $600 and she now has the insurance back on her plan...
    I don't think AT&T currently offers insurance for the iPhone. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    06-05-10 05:06 AM
    yes @BB.David they just started offereing insurance to iphone users.
    06-05-10 08:55 AM
    i added it back on.. I'll keep it for a few months, then get rid of the insurance again
    06-05-10 09:16 AM
    I used to have Asurion on my 8330 and it came in handy. I always have a case and screen cover but managed to shatter the screen during the first week I had it home so all I had to pay was the $50 deductible then for a replacement since it was my fault. I'm torn now on whether to go w/ extended waranty and/or insurance on my new 9650. The deal w/ VZW now for a 9650 ("advanced device") is:
    $1.99/month for extended protection (VZW will replace your phone after the one year manufacturers warranty runs out if there is a mechanical or software prob. with no deductible because the issue isn't the user's fault)
    $6.00/mo for Phone Protection - protects against loss, theft and accidental damage from user errors (including dropping your phone in the toilet) - $89 deductible for a replacement
    $8.00/mo for "Total Equipment Coverage" - gives you the extended warranty + Phone Protection plan described above, $89 deductible for replacements

I used my TEC plan on my 8330 about 5 times in year 2 - I had so many software and device issues from applications not working, ringer/tone stopped working, speakerphone stopped working, couldn't answer calls, earpiece broke... you name it! The extended warranty piece of my plan came in handy during year 2, however, the phones that Asurion would ship out were refurb's and they only ever lasted a few months before giving me new problems.

I am very careful with my phone and am considering just doing the $2.00/month extended warranty. Paying $192 for 2 years for the highest protection plan + $89 deductible if I had to use it seems really pricey.

Asurion ships replacements FedEx 2 day - it is very convenient IF you need a replacement. Squaretrade.com requires you to ship the phone to them (using a prepaid shipping label) but they get 5 business days to try to repair the phone - during which time most of us would be completely phone-less! I can't wait a week without a phone for a repair or a replacement so I am not interested in squaretrade.
    06-10-10 12:43 PM
    We fortunately have not needed to utilize our insurance - knock on wood - but a couple of years back, both my wife and I damaged our phones (both BB's) within a 3-day period. It was a pretty expensive lesson to learn...Since then, we have been purchasing the insurance just like we do on our cars and home. Like Chris Rock says, "...it's just in case sh!t happens..."

Whether you are for it, or against it, to each his (or her) own...
    06-10-10 12:55 PM
    Of course I purchase insurance coverage for my home, car and an umbrella for extra peace of mind ... but the Total Protection Coverage plan for this phone = $192 for 2 years + $89 deductible if you have to use it = $282.00 for a replacement. I just added the extended warranty for $2/month and will continue to be extra careful with it!
    06-10-10 01:22 PM
    Of course I purchase insurance coverage for my home, car and an umbrella for extra peace of mind ... but the Total Protection Coverage plan for this phone = $192 for 2 years + $89 deductible if you have to use it = $282.00 for a replacement. I just added the extended warranty for $2/month and will continue to be extra careful with it!
    First of all, I think everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

That being said, I agree with you on the math and philosophy... Nobody wants to break their phones. That's why insurance is there just in case an accident occurs (key word: accident).

Doing a cost/benefit analysis, another way to look at it is $185 ($96 ins + $89 ded) per year. This is still better than paying $509 (plus applicable sales tax) for a replacement without insurance.

In this regard, I totally respect and can see your point...however from my perspective (on a risk management basis), I think it's worth it...

Like I said in my previous post, to each his (or her) own...

There is neither a right or wrong answer to this debate...just like trying to answer the question, "What came first? The chicken or the egg?"
    Last edited by theonlychoman; 06-10-10 at 06:44 PM.
    06-10-10 02:30 PM
    No insurance. Here's my reasoning.

I have four BB.

$8 x 24 months x 4 phones = $768 + 89 deductible = $857 for a refurbished replacement if I destroy one BB in two years, or $500 for a new one.

Plus, if there's a new model out in a year, I'm not getting a refurbished old one; I have the latest and greatest.

Just came off a two year -- did not destroy a phone. I'm one of those careful people.

If it breaks in the first year, it's covered under RIM/Verizon warranty. If it breaks in the 2nd year, it's covered under the free extended warranty from my credit card. If it's stolen, my business insurance covers it.

I'll take my chances and keep $$$ in my pocket.
    06-11-10 10:16 AM
    No insurance. Here's my reasoning.

I have four BB.

$8 x 24 months x 4 phones = $768 + 89 deductible = $857 for a refurbished replacement if I destroy one BB in two years, or $500 for a new one.

Plus, if there's a new model out in a year, I'm not getting a refurbished old one; I have the latest and greatest.

Just came off a two year -- did not destroy a phone. I'm one of those careful people.

If it breaks in the first year, it's covered under RIM/Verizon warranty. If it breaks in the 2nd year, it's covered under the free extended warranty from my credit card. If it's stolen, my business insurance covers it.

I'll take my chances and keep $$$ in my pocket.
    How do you get your credit card company to cover it during the 2nd year. Any particular company does this? I'd like to look into that as well.

06-11-10 10:52 AM
    How do you get your credit card company to cover it during the 2nd year. Any particular company does this? I'd like to look into that as well.

I think that American Express will do it through their extended warranty protection plan. Never considered that option, but will consider it going forward...
    06-11-10 11:04 AM
    I think that American Express will do it through their extended warranty protection plan. Never considered that option, but will consider it going forward...
    Cool. I will call them and look further into it.

06-11-10 11:07 AM
    I just spent ~$50 on an OtterBox. I'd rather spend the money on a durable case with a secure holster than on a deductible to get a refurb.

I have never ruined a phone (with the exception of one Motorola V276 that happened to hit a door jamb while in my cargo pocket).
    06-11-10 11:16 AM
    I'm a newbie to data devices(10 years or so). I've never had insurance and never needed it. When I think of all the money I've saved by not having it I could have replaced any phone a few times out of pocket and still be ahead.(considering deductibles and premiums). I shall remain "self insured" when it comes to phones.
    06-11-10 12:34 PM
    Always get insurance. I wear out my BlackBerrys within months. My old 8330 I was getting replaced every 4-6 months for a dead key. I guess I am just waaayyy too addicted to messaging. So when it came time for the 9650 jump, there was no way I wasn't getting it.
    06-11-10 01:07 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD