Just wondering if any of you went with the insurance? I did not. I thought about it for a few moments, but when I saw that on top of the monthly fee that the deductible is now something like $89, it just did not seem worth it. Your thoughts??
    06-03-10 09:18 AM
    Definitely worth it
    06-03-10 09:20 AM
    Yes, sucks that they raised the deductible but $89 still beats shelling out $509,which is Verizons' price on the 9650. I'm very careful with my phones but I just know the minute I'd "go bare" on my BB something tragic would happen. You still have 30 days to add it though.
    06-03-10 09:22 AM
    I have never been without insurance on my devices from my early Palm Treo days until now on the Bold. It is $7 a month with Sprint and if they can't fix it in the store, they replace it - for free. I just had my husband's Palm Treo 755 replaced since they couldn't fix it, they had to order it in brand new from another store since it is out of production.
    06-03-10 09:25 AM
    I've never bought insurance for my phones. I'm real careful with them, always get a case and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky but with the monthly fee & deductible, worst come to worst I can always buy one off Ebay or just switch back to an old phone until upgrade time.
    06-03-10 09:31 AM
    I got it. I figured a 500 dollar phone warrants 5 bucks a month for 2 years, just to be safe.
    06-03-10 09:35 AM
    I've never bought insurance for my phones. I'm real careful with them, always get a case and never had a problem. Maybe I'm just lucky but with the monthly fee & deductible, worst come to worst I can always buy one off Ebay or just switch back to an old phone until upgrade time.
    I would dare say you're very lucky. I would rather spend a small amount each month to make sure that my phone will always be there, than have to find a "good" one on e-bay (danger of bad esn, doesn't work 100%, etc...) and wait for the seller to ship it, or to have to pay "Full Price", which is very expensive.

Of course now that I've had a few blackberries, I could always "go back" to an old one for a while Thankfully I'm a Sprint Premiere, so I would at most have to wait 11 months.

I have one friend that never got the insurance. Wouldn't ya know it, he got caught in a rainstorm, and even in his pocket, in the protective case, enough moisture got into it, that it failed.
    06-03-10 09:56 AM
    I got it. I'm clumsy.
    06-03-10 09:58 AM
    always - assurion protection. You get a new phone for a 50 dollar deductible. Totally worth it.
    06-03-10 09:58 AM
    always - assurion protection. You get a new phone for a 50 dollar deductible. Totally worth it.
    Um, its not $50.00 anymore for 'advanced devices' its now $$89.00
    06-03-10 10:13 AM
    I got a SquareTrade warranty on my Tour (and fortunately have not had to use it yet). It seemed like a better deal at the time. You might want to check it out and compare the coverages and cost. Plus, occasionally you can find a 30% off coupon for SquareTrade.
    06-03-10 10:33 AM
    I didn't on my pearl. Now that I am upgrading I added it. I would hate to have something happen to my baby and be without it. There is no way I can afford a new one. My husband works in a warehouse. I added the insurance to his pearl flip. I know, I know. That is the ONLY way he would move to the other side. He won't use everything, but at least he can bbm and will enjoy some of the features.
    06-03-10 10:40 AM
    I just pay for eleteonics with my CC and I get an additional year warrenty added to whatever the device already comes with.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-10 11:50 AM
    The new deductible is a major downer but its all worth it.
    06-03-10 11:55 AM
    I hate asurion. On a previous non blackberry device they kept sending me phones with the previous user's (before refurbishing) lock and security codes. They were not default. Kept having to send phones back. I gave up and kept one and wasn't able to lock. Besides I have access to enough old devices to not need it. Yah it would suck for a while but not as much as asurion sucks.

06-03-10 12:08 PM
    I just pay for eleteonics with my CC and I get an additional year warrenty added to whatever the device already comes with.

Insurance is different from a warranty.

06-03-10 12:10 PM
    I'm actually just planning on paying for Sprint's extended warranty at 4 bucks a month, then going with my insurance (state farm) and getting a personal article policy for about 20 bucks a YEAR. The state farm would be to cover water damage or loss without a deductible.

Definetely beats paying 7 bucks a month for the Sprint extended warranty and assurion combined (since assurion still has a deductible).
    06-03-10 02:33 PM
    I'm actually just planning on paying for Sprint's extended warranty at 4 bucks a month, then going with my insurance (state farm) and getting a personal article policy for about 20 bucks a YEAR. The state farm would be to cover water damage or loss without a deductible.

Definetely beats paying 7 bucks a month for the Sprint extended warranty and assurion combined (since assurion still has a deductible).
    That's a very good idea. I have State Farm, is this called a Personal Article Policy?
    06-03-10 04:59 PM
    I got it... you just never know when and if you will ever need it--- at least I'm protected since I'm going nekkid (totally exposed)
    06-03-10 05:52 PM
    Got it too.

Like Chris Rock says, "....it's in case sh!t happens..."
    06-03-10 06:33 PM
    definitely not worth it.....if you can't afford to pay full retail if you lose/break your phone then you shouldn't have a phone worth that much money.......also the majority of the time you lose money on the insurance.
    06-03-10 06:35 PM
    Never get insurance.

Most minor repairs can be done for about the cost of 1 month of insurance (which doesn't even factor in the deductible).

Most larger repairs (like lcd) cost less than the deductible alone (not counting all the monthly costs added up).

If you routinely trash your phone to the point where nothing works (dead mainboard, dead lcd, etc), I think you need to re-evaluate your phone care and handling more than you need insurance...
    06-03-10 07:04 PM
    I have never had it up until now but did add it today when upgrading. Including the extended warranty it's $96 a year for a phone that I paid $99 for. Still questioning the wisdom, but I'd really hate to have to go back to the Pearl if I ended up doing something really stupid. My kids swim competitively and I spend a LOT of time around pools.
    06-03-10 07:56 PM
    Just wondering if any of you went with the insurance? I did not. I thought about it for a few moments, but when I saw that on top of the monthly fee that the deductible is now something like $89, it just did not seem worth it. Your thoughts??
    I've done a little research and I figure it best NOT to snag the insurance. I figure $89 right off the bat, for getting a replacement. Plus you figure in the $6 insurance per month, for two years. This brings you to around $233 after all is said and done. By the time you break/lose your phone surely Veri-trash will have some certified pre-owned devices you can snag for a equal or lesser value. (i.e. the Tour is $189.99 from Verizon, or you can snag it for around $150 of eBay, or better in your local classifieds).

Sure the phone is around $500, but you gamble either way. I like living on the dangerous side of the gamble :P
    06-03-10 08:05 PM
    definitely not worth it.....if you can't afford to pay full retail if you lose/break your phone then you shouldn't have a phone worth that much money.......also the majority of the time you lose money on the insurance.
    LOL! That is such illogical thinking. Do you not have auto ins. because you're so ballin' that you can pay for a new one without a problem? Or do you ONLY have auto ins. because it's the law... Some of us think it's worth it and being able to "afford...full retail" has nothing to do with it.

ETA: I'm thinking of going with squaretrade too... $144 for two years. A $50 deductable and it ONLY applies to water damage, a dropped phone, etc. Battery failure and other causes don't require the deductable.
    Last edited by iloveluxury; 06-03-10 at 08:59 PM.
    06-03-10 08:53 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD