My 30 day so called grace period with att is almost up on getting their insurance which would cost me $5 a month I'm under warranty(which lasts a year,right?). They state if I get a cracked screen,drop it or have water damage my warranty isn't covered,is this true? And if I have to happen to replace with their insurance there is a $150 deductible over the cost of getting a new one,anyone use insurance and is it worth it to you?
    07-15-09 02:49 PM
    I have had and used insurance for years, and it has been worth it.

If you damage or lose your phone, $150 gets you another (usually refurb) phone. We've had lost ones, washed ones, and toilet dunked ones.
    07-15-09 02:51 PM
    That is true, you do have to pay the deductible if it's water damage or something that is not covered under that manufacturer's warranty.

If you think about it 150 if significantly less than what it would cost to buy a brand new bold off contract
    Last edited by jackie treehorn; 07-15-09 at 02:53 PM.
    07-15-09 02:51 PM
    After reading all the horror stories on here, I'd say get the insurance. And yes, that is true with the warranty.
    07-15-09 02:52 PM
    Only reason that I don't get insurance is because I don't have a history of
    losing or damaging phones. If you do, get the insurance.
    07-15-09 03:51 PM
    With the high cost to replace the phone, I went with the warranty. The chance of something happening by accident is too high for me not to have the warranty.
    07-15-09 04:20 PM
    Forget warranty.. Its a cash grab. Just be careful when handling the phone and you'll save your bold and keep your wallet that much fatter.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-15-09 05:03 PM
    I'm not sure where you are seeing this "$150.00" deductible. Tier 2 replacements are $125.00

I look at it this way: Most likely you will get a refurbished phone but a quick look on ebay shows that most used Bolds are running around $300+. Take $300 (ebay price) - $125 (deductible) = $175. Divide the $175 by the $5 per month fee. It will take 35 months to break even if you file 1 claim. Now obviously that doesn't take into account how much the prices fall, but it should give you a good idea about how much insurance could benefit you.
    07-15-09 08:13 PM
    I suggest getting the insurance, it'll come in handy when the phone slips from your hands. I've replaced my Bold 2 times already, both times it slipped from my hand while trying to slide it back into the holster and both times it screwed up the top speaker.
    07-15-09 08:17 PM
    My 30 day so called grace period with att is almost up on getting their insurance which would cost me $5 a month I'm under warranty(which lasts a year,right?). They state if I get a cracked screen,drop it or have water damage my warranty isn't covered,is this true? And if I have to happen to replace with their insurance there is a $150 deductible over the cost of getting a new one,anyone use insurance and is it worth it to you?
    Are you 100% sure is 150.$ deductible? I just did my curve and was 50 dollars less then a week ago, i have AT&T also and my insurance is 5 a month.
    07-15-09 08:19 PM
    Are you 100% sure is 150.$ deductible? I just did my curve and was 50 dollars less then a week ago, i have AT&T also and my insurance is 5 a month.
    And these are new phones not a refurb, it also only takes 1 day to get ur phone through insurance claim, i have broken alot of phones in my career with AT&T
    07-15-09 08:22 PM
    The last insurance pamphlet I got was class 2 pda type phones (any BB) was $125. If you got a curve refurb for $50, then more power to you!
    07-15-09 08:24 PM
    I went through 3-4 razor's and two curves to date it gets added to my bill for a 50.00 deductible each time, but regaurdless is better then paying full shot no contract renewal, maybe EBAY it.
    07-15-09 08:31 PM
    Only reason that I don't get insurance is because I don't have a history of
    losing or damaging phones. If you do, get the insurance.
    I didn't have a history of losing or damaging phones either. But there was the ONE TIME....a phone ended up at the bottom of the lake. Good thing I had the insurance. It was an 8820. So I'll gladly pay the extra 5 bucks...just in case.
    07-15-09 09:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD