I've had the latest OS on orange uk bis for 2 days now and I'm not too impressed. Here's why:

- It seems slower on wifi browsing. On the old OS my wifi logo (top right) would light up and was lightning quick through sites like crackberry. Now it stays on an unsatisfying grey wifi logo and the black timer is making much more of an appearance. I now have to put the phone down while waiting for it to load up thread pages (boring)

- I can't get viigo or viigo beta to work. It worked fine before (I've tried soft resets, battery pulls, deleting apps and reinstalling etc.) It doesn't get past 'loading' stage.

From the threads here, it seems like the latest OS is working fine in the us and for uk bes bolds but I thought I'd show my findings in case anyone else is experiencing this.

Don't get me wrong, the phone itself is superb - it's just the OS I'm having trouble with
    08-26-08 05:54 AM
    I didn't get Viigo to work until I added the correct APN in:

Options > Advanced > TCP > enter "orangeinternet" or maybe "orange.internet", no user name or password. Viigo kicked into life for me then.

Hope this helps
    08-26-08 05:57 AM
    What OS are you using?

I'm on 4.6.0.126 (243), and the only problem im really having is with BB Messenger ...

Messages stay pending for long time, and sometimes i cant send as it shows the other user is unavailable (red cross in the smiley next to their name) even though this isnt the case!
    08-26-08 06:29 AM
    Nothin, thanks man! Entered orangeinternet in TCP and after my second battery pull of the day, it's working!

I really hate to be a grumbler but I've found a few more rubbish things with 126 (plat 4.0.0.135) on orange uk.

- I can only browse on wifi! Under advanced options- browser (and options from within the browser). 'hotspot browser' is my only option (I used to have around 3 options) so when I browse outside wifi, it says 'this is a wifi service'

- It is now slower at browsing on wifi than my Tytn 2 on 3g - it does the google search a fractionally quicker but then takes an age 'running script', 'loading images' and I have got to know the black timer very well

Has anyone else found probs after installing the latest OS (stickied in the forum)

I'm seriously thinking reverting back to the old one if I can't get it sorted by the end of the day.
    08-26-08 07:04 AM
    Scatman, you may need to resend your service books. You can do it from the email settings icon or from the Orange BIS webpage from your pc.

Before you do that go to options > advanced options > host routing table, hit menu key and select register now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-26-08 07:11 AM
    Can't get it through email settings. Tried through orange bis webpage on pc. i dont remember setting this up so dont know username or password. I put in my pin and there is an account on it. It said it would send my password to my blackberry...which of course it hasn't.

Starting to get fed up.
    08-26-08 08:08 AM
    Hey Scatman,

No worries. Yup - I had these issues too. In my case, Orange/RIM took around 72 hours to send the SIM update which enabled my "Internet Browser". Up to that point I only had Hotspot Browser (WiFi only) or Orange World (WAP based and useless!)

How long have you had your handset?
    08-26-08 08:13 AM
    What's happened is that the upgrade has knocked of your settings by the sound of it.

I'm on the wap so I can't find the link I need again for you so either 1. Go to the email settings icon again and look for an option to create a username and password. You can then use this for the BIS webpage.

2. Call orange and ask them to reprovision you/resend your service books. Just tell them your internet browser has gone.

Normally you don't need the APN settings for Viigo but cos your internet browser is not there you had to, nothingtoseehere also did that at when his internet browser wasn't working. But as its working now just leave it.

Good luck.

08-26-08 08:16 AM
    Scatman - put "create username" on Email Settings - then you can logon via the BIS website

08-26-08 09:45 AM
    Hi there,

What is the benefit of using "internet browser" as opposed to the other 2. I suddenlty had this third option appear today.
    Thanks!
    08-26-08 03:12 PM
    The Internet browser is best for downloading applications etc OTA (over the air).

It is also a better browser than Orangewap.
    08-26-08 03:18 PM
    ok thanks.. what I don't understand is what's the point in being able to choose between them?? thanks!

08-26-08 03:21 PM
    Well, Orange 'might' have some services on their wap site that you would like to use.

All carriers/networks usually supply their own wap site as well. I have o2 wap, rarely use it but it's there. It will also work if Blackberry Internet Service is down.
    08-26-08 03:24 PM
    ah ok thanks... will leave it on Internet Browser then!

08-26-08 03:26 PM
    Nigel, hazy and nothin - thanks for the advice!

You were right hazy, the new OS had knocked off my settings. I rang orange - they told me to delete a few things and then resent my service books and an additional update...and internet browser and orange wap appeared under advanced options and browser options...so i can know 3g and wap browse.

Here's the thing...browsing is SO much slower than it was when I first got the phone.

- crackberry bold forum takes 30 secs to load and appear. individual threads also take 30 secs to get into. When posting a reply, I may as well roll and smoke a cigarette by the time I get the post reply box to appear. I know there's a lot of data on such pages but I was accessing them in half the time ob the previous OS

- the only app ive got on is viigo beta. surely this can't be the reason for the delays?

I am seriously considering putting the old OS back on. I haven't seen any marked improvements on orange uk (apart from losing the horrible orange browser icon)

Any advice on how to speed up browsing would be greatly received!
    08-28-08 07:47 AM
    Hi, glad you got that sorted.

1st thing to try is a battery pull. Take the battery out with the device powered on for 30 seconds and then replace.

Check your file free number before and after you do that. Do it at options > status (hopefully its in the same place lol).

Clear your browser cache, open browser > menu key > options > cache operations .

Also try turning viigo's updates to manual rather than automatic.

Let us know if this helps.

08-28-08 07:58 AM
    Nigel, hazy and nothin - thanks for the advice!

You were right hazy, the new OS had knocked off my settings. I rang orange - they told me to delete a few things and then resent my service books and an additional update...and internet browser and orange wap appeared under advanced options and browser options...so i can know 3g and wap browse.
    Glad thats sorted

Here's the thing...browsing is SO much slower than it was when I first got the phone.

- crackberry bold forum takes 30 secs to load and appear. individual threads also take 30 secs to get into. When posting a reply, I may as well roll and smoke a cigarette by the time I get the post reply box to appear. I know there's a lot of data on such pages but I was accessing them in half the time ob the previous OS
    If you use the full site I have found it is quite slow, but have found the perfect combination to view the crackberry forums is to enter via CrackBerry.com WAP Homepage and set your View to "Column" and not "Page". This works a treat for me.

I am seriously considering putting the old OS back on. I haven't seen any marked improvements on orange uk (apart from losing the horrible orange browser icon)

Any advice on how to speed up browsing would be greatly received!
    I tried browsing on WiFi the other night and it was dreadfully slow, didn't know if it working right - maybe the next OS update might fix this. But on 3G my browsing is fast enough, the few sites I regularly go on work fine (even the crackberry.com home page).
    08-28-08 08:10 AM
    Hazy, thanks for the speedy reply!

So I cleared content and cookie caches (I left push cache on 1.1k as I thought it may delete my inbox emails) - out of interest, will clearing the content and cookie cache affect anything on the device?

I also switched off automatic viigo updates.

Here are the results: Before doing the above, file free = 30699135 bytes
    After doing the aabove, file free = 34589779 bytes

Effect on 3g browsing: Very little.

guardian.co.uk - 15secs (same as before)
    crackberry bold forum - 15 secs (quicker than before up to 30 secs - getting excited)
    open up this 'initial concerns' thread - 50 secs (boo)

I'm not in wifi at the moment, so will try later but the 3g browsing is still slow. I'm no speed freak and don't expect it to be super-fast. I am just frustrated as I know it was a lot quicker when I first got the phone (fond memories of sitting in my wifi local breezing through the threads in this forum!)

I'll let you know how the wifi browsing goes later...but for some reason I'm not getting too excited.

Hazy, how long does it take you load up the above pages?
    08-28-08 08:26 AM
    Nigel, thanks for the heads up about the crackberry wap homepage - much quicker!

Yup, I've got default view as column - still have to scroll down half the page to get to the threads but this doesn't bother me (good thumb scrolling practice).

I've tended to find that there is not much between 3g and wifi browsing. If wifi's got strong 4+ symbol I've found it slightly quicker but I would have expected it to be much quicker than 3g.
    08-28-08 08:42 AM
    Hi guys, I'm new here and to BB. I've had my Bold from Orange Uk now for about a week.

How come you guys have new software versions, the one I have from Orange is v.4.6.0.92 (platform 4.0.0.117)?

So far, I think mine is working fine, except it has a habit of rebooting sometimes an when it's been knocked hard.

I don't think that is supposed to happen!
    08-28-08 10:10 AM
    Yup, I've got default view as column
    Oh right! I think the Page view is better suited to most sites (more like a "desktop computer") but column view is much better for certain sites (Crackberry forums good example).

still have to scroll down half the page to get to the threads but this doesn't bother me (good thumb scrolling practice).
    Try using the SPACE key to scroll down a page at a time (Use LEFT CAP + SPACE to scroll up a page at a time) - this'll save your thumb scrolling!

I've tended to find that there is not much between 3g and wifi browsing. If wifi's got strong 4+ symbol I've found it slightly quicker but I would have expected it to be much quicker than 3g.
    Yeah I have to say I have found exactly the same.
    08-28-08 10:14 AM
    The cookie cache will clear any passwords stored etc so you would need to sigh in again to CB for example. I only delete cookies once in a while.

I don't have a Bold yet but I find my pages open pretty quickly for 2G. Have never timed it but probably something like 30 seconds perhaps less when signal strength is good. Replying to posts takes a bit longer.

When you exit Viigo make sure you hit menu key and select close otherwise it runs in the background. To find out what's running in the background select switch application. The homepage, browser, call log, bb messegger and messages box will always be there so ignore them.

08-28-08 10:35 AM
    Hazy and nigel - hats off fellas for the top advice!

Space bar trick is v.cool.

I'm still experimenting with the default view but i think you're right nigel - column for some, page for many

the phone also seems to run a bit quicker without viigo running in the background. the bold is running sweet now so thanks again for the help guys...

...my initial concerns over the latest OS have been put to rest and i'm a very happy bold user!!
    08-28-08 12:01 PM
    I'm not a fella lol

Glad all is ok now

08-28-08 12:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD